The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Multi-Purpose Escape Pod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Multi-Purpose Escape Pod
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Multi-Purpose Escape Pod Reply with quote

In another topic, I made mention of a ship that I would like to crossover from the Serenity RPG to the SWU. That in turn got me thinking about how the Serenity's shuttles were used both as lifeboats and multi-role transports. Have any of you ever used a ship where the lifeboats were useful for something other than escaping the ship just as it was about to blow up? If so, what sorts of limitations did you place on them? What would they look like, stat-wise?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i dont have the stats on hand we had a larger feighter one campaign that had two shuttles that docked and launched like escape pods. They were fast and had some defenses, but we used them mostly for ferrying ourselves and some passengers/cargo until the ONE time they needed to be used as escape pods.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How were they equipped? Shields? Hyperdrives? Hull Strength? Sensors?

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On all large cruisers I have the command crew use regular shuttles as escape craft in the case of emergency, only enlisted personnel use escape pods, even junior officers and passenger compliments will use troop transports as if performing a landing manoeuvre instead of an emergency.

Sort of like what I'd expect to see on the screen. The captain and senior crew go to their shuttles, regular crew head to the pods, etc.

It's not so much that there aren't several shuttles, dropships and utility craft for maintenance and mundane purposes on all cruisers (in addition to listed craft boarded for combat action), but just that the reason you have emergency escape pods is so that you can eject the entire cruiser's population within a few minutes.

If you had to evacuate for a radiation leak for example, you wouldn't waste your escape pods, you'd just shuttle/land the population over several hours using utility craft.

So with that in mind, since there aren't stats or listings for all these logical craft placements I fully support the idea to write some up.

I always had ISD with a small command shuttle bay in the bridge section, in addition to the two main hangar bays under the hull. On top of this a number of small maintenance docking bays spread all over the mile long vessel for tiny utility craft (like one man repair craft you see at space docks and the like).

Now a Lambda class won't physically fit in the bridge section, and it's more a luxury shuttle for ceremonial occasions or long ranging command functions, but when we were running around with ISD fleets in game we found you really really need some kind of shuttle/bay in the bridge section itself (and ruled that the SWU is so technically advanced that if we gamers note something missing, it's probably there but just not listed as far as a house rule goes).

So I'd really love a command shuttle type stats that could fit in a small shuttle bay in the bridge section of ISD, which would double as the standard shuttle equipped to smaller cruisers like the Loronar or Carrack (house rule assuming all cruisers have an unlisted command shuttle).

Very interested to see what you'll come up with crmcneill
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually seen some stats for escape pods and even deckplans for them somewhere I just can't remember where.

As I recall they had fairly decent stats.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I've actually seen some stats for escape pods and even deckplans for them somewhere I just can't remember where.

As I recall they had fairly decent stats.

The ones I've seen were at the Star Wars Deckplans Alliance. They work great for what they are, but I was thinking something along the lines of the shuttles on the Serenity in Firefly, and any ship large enough to dock something like that (let alone two) is going to be much larger than the standard "stock light freighter".

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only problem I see with dual use is ships typically take time to prep and start up before use and refuel and restock after use while an escape pod needs to always be ready to go instantaneously. So dual use would entail some risk. Kind of tough for the captain if his shuttle is shut down for refueling just when he needs to abandon ship.

Dual use would probably be illegal on civilian passenger ships (all those pesky safety rules), but it might be something the military would use, and certainly something you might (again possibly illegally) see on a tramp freighter.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
The only problem I see with dual use is ships typically take time to prep and start up before use and refuel and restock after use while an escape pod needs to always be ready to go instantaneously. So dual use would entail some risk. Kind of tough for the captain if his shuttle is shut down for refueling just when he needs to abandon ship.

That could be solved by saying that the docking cradle for the lifeboat / shuttle automatically restocks fuel and atmosphere consumables from the mother ship's own storage tanks on landing. Consumables could then be restocked as normal using the rules in Tramp Freighter, possibly with a slight price increase, if the GM feels that that's appropriate...

Quote:
Dual use would probably be illegal on civilian passenger ships (all those pesky safety rules), but it might be something the military would use, and certainly something you might (again possibly illegally) see on a tramp freighter.

It could also be that outright dual-use lifeboats would be illegal, but that legal loopholes exist that allow larger ships to have launches or pinnaces count towards the ship's total rated lifeboat capacity so long as they meet certain criteria or operate under certain restrictions.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
That could be solved by saying that the docking cradle for the lifeboat / shuttle automatically restocks fuel and atmosphere consumables from the mother ship's own storage tanks on landing.
Anyone know how long that takes? That would be my concern there. If you look at the real world, refueling, maintenance checks and minor repairs/replacements seem to be pretty time consuming - tire changes at an Indy race excepted. Laughing
Quote:
It could also be that outright dual-use lifeboats would be illegal, but that legal loopholes exist that allow larger ships to have launches or pinnaces count towards the ship's total rated lifeboat capacity so long as they meet certain criteria or operate under certain restrictions.
Very reasonable.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Anyone know how long that takes? That would be my concern there. If you look at the real world, refueling, maintenance checks and minor repairs/replacements seem to be pretty time consuming - tire changes at an Indy race excepted. :lol:

I would have it occur either off-screen or between missions. That stuff is all essential in real life, but we aren't really playing in real life.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:
Anyone know how long that takes? That would be my concern there. If you look at the real world, refueling, maintenance checks and minor repairs/replacements seem to be pretty time consuming - tire changes at an Indy race excepted. Laughing

I would have it occur either off-screen or between missions. That stuff is all essential in real life, but we aren't really playing in real life.
Sure that works fine as long as you don't need the pinnace before it is done refueling. So then one reason it would be illegal for civilian passenger craft and somewhat dangerous for military craft is that there is a black out window for use of the craft while it is in the midst of recharging and maintenance. That's why I asked how long it takes. I think the rules somewhere, either in the main rules or maybe in the Tramp Freighters supplement, discuss the refueling process and I thought they may have hinted at how long it takes. But I don't recall any details.

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade you or anyone from using dual purpose craft. Just pointing out what seems a limitation and potentially an interesting plot device for GMs - either because additional forged or faked documentation is needed or because someones life-pod pinnance may not be ready when it is needed.

I could even see a plot where someone stows aboard a pinnace before it returns to the ship. Someone else on board the ship triggers a fake emergency. The captain and bridge crew have to leave the bridge to access more distant back up escape pod locations. Then the stoways come out and take over the ship from the now abandoned bridge.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a linked q..
Do escape pods stay connected to both sensors (computer) and power of the 'mother ship? I ask, cause if they do and the ship gets a "powered down" result from Ion cannon damage, would that then not mean the pod is also out of action?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As a linked q..
Do escape pods stay connected to both sensors (computer) and power of the 'mother ship? I ask, cause if they do and the ship gets a "powered down" result from Ion cannon damage, would that then not mean the pod is also out of action?
Since you use an escape pod to escape a ship that is in danger of destruction, I would think they must be independent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: