The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Looking for something new...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Looking for something new... Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamer wrote:
I'd rather have a regular cargo hold and moving the containers via a repulsorsled 'pallet', that way I could carry alot more various types of cargo to various clients at various stops.
A repulsor truck makes it of limited use and wastes time as you still have to unload the truck itself if you want it back, I would never want that type of system, it's too limiting.
A rotary deployment system like on the B1 and B2 series bomber is a waste of space on a freighter, takes up too much space for little gain which means profit loss.
A rotary system cuts down on number and types of containers that could be carried, making it a niche market product.
An automated/droid ceiling mounted cargo tractor beam is all that would be needed to lift and stack containers.

I see where you're coming from, and it is a niche market product, but Wildspace is a niche market. The rotary racks are externally mounted, so they don't really take up that much space, and they come stock with all the containers they need.

Regardless, I hadn't intended to threadjack and just discuss my homebuilts. I posted one because I thought Bobmalooga would be interested, and I'm happy to discuss it, but I doubt he's looking for a large crew bulk frieghter like the rotary rack one.

Complete Starship Construction System

Last edited by Fallon Kell on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:
That's the thing though, you seem to be making it too good from the get go. Fast, good space, great passenger accomodation..

Well, I left the consumable at half of what you would normally find on a ship like this, and left out the backup hyperdrive as well. I figured those drawbacks would make a reasonable balance to the selling points. Are they insufficient? If so, do you have any suggestions?

This is what i see the stats should be..

Craft: CAT-5
Type: Stock light freighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 54 meters
Skill: Space Transports: CAT-5
Crew: 2
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 8
Cargo Capacity: 150 tons
Consumables: 1 month
Cost: 85,000 New, 25,000 Used
Hyperdrive: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: No
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 4.
Atmosphere: 295
Hull: 3D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 25/1D
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 2/3D
Weapons:
Two Fire-Linked Laser Cannons
Arc: Front
Fire Control: 1D
Combined Damage: 4D
Range: 1-3/12/25
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Fallon Kell wrote:
garhkal wrote:
That's the thing though, you seem to be making it too good from the get go. Fast, good space, great passenger accomodation..

Well, I left the consumable at half of what you would normally find on a ship like this, and left out the backup hyperdrive as well. I figured those drawbacks would make a reasonable balance to the selling points. Are they insufficient? If so, do you have any suggestions?

This is what i see the stats should be..

Craft: CAT-5
Type: Stock light freighter
Length: 54 meters
Skill: Space Transports: CAT-5
Crew: 2
Crew Skill: Varies
Passengers: 8
Cargo Capacity: 150 tons
Consumables: 1 month
Cost: 85,000 New, 25,000 Used
Hyperdrive: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: No
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 4.
Atmosphere: 295
Hull: 3D
Shields: 1D
Sensors:
Passive: 10/0D
Scan: 25/1D
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 2/3D
Weapons:
Two Fire-Linked Laser Cannons
Arc: Front
Fire Control: 1D
Combined Damage: 4D
Range: 1-3/12/25

Maybe a luxury edition? Double the size of the quarters, add in some nice upholstery and individual refresher units and downrate the engines?

By the way, those laser cannons seem distinctly underpowered for a ship called a Combat Armed Transport. A stock YT-1300 comes with one turreted laser cannon at 4D damage and 2D fire control. The job this ship was designed for requires a bit of punch, and I specifically reduced fire control and fire arcs to balance that needed punch.

It's okay by me if you want to use those stats. My stock A model is going to stay the way it is, and it's probably what my player's going to get if he ever goes shopping for a CAT-5.

Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luxury in wild space Laughing
Luxury in wild space would be having your own cabin much less a double sized cabin.
The standard ship should have the passenger accomodation in double bunks with a luxury cabin being a single bunk.

The hull could squeeze this in since it is multidecked but it's going to be one blocky looking vessel in order to do it nothing sleek about it, there's just too much to squeeze in otherwise.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamer wrote:
Luxury in wild space Laughing
Luxury in wild space would be having your own cabin much less a double sized cabin.
The standard ship should have the passenger accomodation in double bunks with a luxury cabin being a single bunk.

The hull could squeeze this in since it is multidecked but it's going to be one blocky looking vessel in order to do it nothing sleek about it, there's just too much to squeeze in otherwise.

Half as many double sized cabins is what I was referring to. (In keeping with Gharkal's 8 passenger stat.) Just doubling the cabin space would get ugly fast...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: