The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dueling Variant (Jedi or otherwise)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dueling Variant (Jedi or otherwise)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Dueling Variant (Jedi or otherwise) Reply with quote

Hey guys, this is my first post. I have been searching through your boards here for a while and pulling ideas for my campaigns. My group is just starting back to our d6 Star Wars game so I was on here seeing what was new when Bren's Yet Another Lightsaber Variant caught my eye. I considered posting this in his thread but didn't want to go off topic on what he was trying to do there.

I took the stuff that I like and copied it over to a word doc and when I went to put it in my Character Sheets and House Rules folder I found I had some dueling rules I made up a while ago and had forgotten about Very Happy . I figured I would put them on here to share and see if anyone could put them to use. I made them up a while ago and, shortly after, our game went on hiatus. I haven't playtested them yet, but I hope to now that we are back on. They are a bit more in depth than the stuff Bren put down based on the dueling blades, and I may actually use his stuff because it seems pretty quick and clean. My variant had almost any armed combat in mind (with the main focus on lightsabers though). Our group is pretty low level (max force skills around 2d+2 or 3d) and have only just started using lightsabers (and none have their own yet).

Anyway, I had to host the files on scribd because copy and paste onto the forum from the word doc didn't go to well. If I remember correctly, I was inspired by some of the shadowrun stuff from 3rd edition in the canon companion. Not sure what else I may have borrowed from other than the dueling blades stuff. I just remember trying to keep the fight from being "attack roll, parry roll, rinse and repeat."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60124030/Dueling-Offensive-Maneuvers

http://www.scribd.com/doc/60124029/Dueling-Defensive-Maneuvers

Some of the maneuvers like leading and riposting refer to maneuvers chosen from the other document. I should probably also add that our lightsaber combat power is house ruled as follows:

Lightsaber Combat Force Power:

There is no multiple action penalty (map) for keeping the lightsaber combat power up and the power may be activated as a free action. When this power is activated, the jedi may add +1d to his lightsaber skill and an additional +1d for every 3d above 1d that the character has in his sense skill. Additionally, the jedi adds +1d to the damage rating of his lightsaber attacks and an additional +1d for every 3d above 1d that the character has in his control skill. Parrying blaster attacks may still be attempted with the modified lightsaber skill as an additional action. Redirecting the shot may be done as another additional action using the sense skill to hit and the blaster shots normal damage.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Dueling Variant (Jedi or otherwise) Reply with quote

Law wrote:

There is no multiple action penalty (map) for keeping the lightsaber combat power up and the power may be activated as a free action. When this power is activated, the jedi may add +1d to his lightsaber skill and an additional +1d for every 3d above 1d that the character has in his sense skill. Additionally, the jedi adds +1d to the damage rating of his lightsaber attacks and an additional +1d for every 3d above 1d that the character has in his control skill. Parrying blaster attacks may still be attempted with the modified lightsaber skill as an additional action. Redirecting the shot may be done as another additional action using the sense skill to hit and the blaster shots normal damage.
Welcome to the Pit. Feel free to use what suits you. My intent, as you accurately discerned, was to create a fairly simple system. I haven't had a chance to download the files yet, but I did have one question on the Lightsaber Combat power. Rather than the 1D/3D mechanism, wouldn't it be simpler to add +1D for the first 1D of skill and then +1 PIP per dice above 1D?
Law
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dueling Variant (Jedi or otherwise) Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Law wrote:

Welcome to the Pit. Feel free to use what suits you. My intent, as you accurately discerned, was to create a fairly simple system. I haven't had a chance to download the files yet, but I did have one question on the Lightsaber Combat power. Rather than the 1D/3D mechanism, wouldn't it be simpler to add +1D for the first 1D of skill and then +1 PIP per dice above 1D?

Truthfully, it probably would but my players aren't real familiar with d6 and have been known to get mixed up with converting pips into dice. This was just a simple solution to get them going. We may eventually change to what you proposed. Right now we are just trying to get the basics back down.

As far as the docs go, I was pretty disappointed when I found out I'd need to host them on another site, but when I pasted them over it was too jumbled and looked to much work to layout again for the board's message body box.

As a side note, I see you're from Maryland too, small world.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dueling Variant (Jedi or otherwise) Reply with quote

Law wrote:
As a side note, I see you're from Maryland too, small world.
Yep. Not too far from you really. Just up I-70 towards Frederick. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: