The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

So, the original equipment for the Imperial Guard lists them as having a heavy blaster pistol. How boring is that? I decided to work up a weapon that is not only very scary for the characters to face (especially in the hands of an Imperial Guardsman), but one that is very difficult for them to take and use for themselves. It's an over-and-under heavy blaster pistol, usually carried in a quick draw holster (+1D to quick draw rolls), designed to give the Imperial Guard a single quick-reaction weapon that is deadly in any situation they may find themselves in.

Imperial Munitions Imperial Guard Assault Blaster Pistol
Model: Imperial Munitions IG-7
Type: Assault Blaster Pistol
Skill: Blaster: Imperial Guard Assault Blaster Pistol
Ammo: 100
Cost: 5,000 (Power Packs: 50). Not Available For Sale.
Availability: 4, X
Range: 3-10/30/120
Damage: 5D
Special Features:
Auto-Fire Mode
-Pistol fires in rapid fire mode, with each "shot" consuming 5 shots from the pistol's power pack.
-Provides a +1D bonus that can be applied either to damage or targeting.
Power Blaster
-Under-slung blast weapon can fire either a cone-shaped blast or a single powerful shot.
-A single shot in either mode consumes 10 shots from the pistol's power pack.
-Scatter Mode (Range: 1-2/3/5, Damage 6D/5D/4D/3D. Affects all targets in a 45 degree arc. Targets within 2 meters may not dodge. Targets within 5 meters may attempts to dodge at -1D).
-Blast Mode (Range: 3-5/10/25, Damage 8D)
-Fire Rate: 1/2
Sniper Mode
-Uses an integrated scope, a modular beam focusing system and an internal gyro-stabilizer to make accurate shots at extreme range. The scope links directly with the MFTAS in the Imperial Guardsman's helmet (which allows him to use the gun to scan or shoot around corners without exposing himself).
-Range: 3-10/90/360
-Damage: 4D
-Fire Rate: 1/2
-Ammo: Each shot in Sniper Mode consumes 2 charges from the weapon's power pack.
-Bonus: +1D to hit at Medium and Long Range, -2D to hit at Point-Blank and Short Range.
Security System
-Each pistol is individually coded to the Guardsman to which it is issued, with a multi-spectrum bio-scanner built into the grip. It cannot be used by anyone other than the Guard to which it is issued. If anyone other than the pistol's assigned Guardsman attempts to fire the pistol, it triggers a 5D stun charge through the hand grip.
-The pistol is also keyed to the comlink integrated into the Guardsman's armor. If the pistol is further than 10 meters away from the Guardsman for more than five minutes, the pistol's power pack overloads, inflicting 6D damage to anyone in direct contact with the pistol, and 4D damage to a 2 meter blast radius.
-Attempting to reprogram the pistol to accept a new gunner requires three Very Difficult Computer Programming rolls, plus the tech must know that the security system exists.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my understanding that when a red guard was on duty, his blaster was always drawn. I don't know how true that is, but it would certainly negate the need for the holster!

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fallon Kell wrote:
It was my understanding that when a red guard was on duty, his blaster was always drawn. I don't know how true that is, but it would certainly negate the need for the holster!

Maybe, but it certainly didn't look like it in the films. They are seen holding force pikes, but are never seen holding a pistol.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To many rules, and too much crammed into a pistol IMO.

Just give them a heavy blaster with the range of a blaster pistol (or something in between). Add the autofire dice (which in my games would make this an 'Autoblaster'.)
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Security System-Each pistol is individually coded to the Guardsman to which it is issued...

Thoughts?
I think using TK or pick pocket to swap the pistols between pairs of guards would be hysterical. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Security System-Each pistol is individually coded to the Guardsman to which it is issued...

Thoughts?
I think using TK or pick pocket to swap the pistols between pairs of guards would be hysterical. Laughing

Most definitely. Of course, that would require prior knowledge of the details of the security system. The way I figure, the PCs would know next to nothing about these guns apart from what they observe when the guns get shot at them. Learning enough about the weapon to be able to play pranks like that would have a steep learning curve:

1). First, you have to kill a Red Guard and take his pistol (not exactly the easiest of tasks).

2). First time you try to fire it = ZAP (4D Stun damage)

3). Assuming you try to walk away with it, BOOM! (Hopefully the character didn't have it shoved down the front of his pants).

4). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that each weapon has a homing device built in as well. What with it being linked to the MFTAS on the Red Guard's helmet, including a system that notifies the RG if his weapon is moved from his person would not be too much of a stretch.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Of course, that would require prior knowledge of the details of the security system.
Of course. But someone had to design the weapons, someone has to produce the weapons, someone has to test the weapons (and the special guard comlinks the guns are linked to) as they are being produced and before shipment to the Guards, someone has to service, repair, and charge the weapons and link them to the comlinks, relink them when a comlink is replaced or breaks, etc. And in the event a guard goes down, someone has to do something with the leftover weapons. There are a lot of ways that knowledge that the guns are "special" and dangerous to handle could leak out. And if the Imperial Guards go out into the world where they are not surrounded by other Imperial Guards, they better leave these guns at home or warn those around them about the dangers else other Imperials will get stunned and blown up as they try to safeguard the unconcious guards weapon and remove his helmet to prep him for surgery so the med droids can operate on his injured head - for example.

But it's all an academic exercise to me. We have never gotten anywhere near seeing, much less encountering, Palpatine. So for us, there is no reason to encounter an Imperial Guard in his role as Imperial Bodyguard. I think we did run into a couple of Guards out in the world, but for all the reasons I mentioned above, I wouldn't see them carrying a custom weapon like that with them on an away from the Emperor mission.

As a side note, with all that gear inside, those guns must look like the pistols that Warhammer miniatures carry - you know the ones that look like they mass about 15 kilograms. Shocked Those dudes must be way strong to be able to quick draw one of those beasts.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Of course. But someone had to design the weapons, someone has to produce the weapons, someone has to test the weapons (and the special guard comlinks the guns are linked to) as they are being produced and before shipment to the Guards, someone has to service, repair, and charge the weapons and link them to the comlinks, relink them when a comlink is replaced or breaks, etc. And in the event a guard goes down, someone has to do something with the leftover weapons. There are a lot of ways that knowledge that the guns are "special" and dangerous to handle could leak out. And if the Imperial Guards go out into the world where they are not surrounded by other Imperial Guards, they better leave these guns at home or warn those around them about the dangers else other Imperials will get stunned and blown up as they try to safeguard the unconcious guards weapon and remove his helmet to prep him for surgery so the med droids can operate on his injured head - for example.

Possible? Yes. Probable? Not nearly so much. These weapons are about as available as the average lightsaber, so it is an extremely limited production run. These weapons are a very limited production run (relatively speaking), and are manufactured by a staunch Imperial company. The information on the weapons may be available, but getting that information would practically require a full adventure in and of itself. It's not exactly something the average character can just look up on the local backwater's Google equivalent.

My premise on the weapons is that they are part of the Red Guard uniform only, and that when an IG goes out incognito, they use normal stormtrooper armor and equipment. It gives the Red Guard a ranged weapon to augment their proficiency with the Force Pike, as well as an energy blast for every occasion (on a related note, the scatter blaster would make an excellent anti-Jedi weapon; cone-shaped blast can't be parried and it can't be dodged at close range).

Quote:
But it's all an academic exercise to me. We have never gotten anywhere near seeing, much less encountering, Palpatine. So for us, there is no reason to encounter an Imperial Guard in his role as Imperial Bodyguard. I think we did run into a couple of Guards out in the world, but for all the reasons I mentioned above, I wouldn't see them carrying a custom weapon like that with them on an away from the Emperor mission.

True, and same here. But still, I like to ponder "What If?" And if my crew of guys ever runs across a Red Guard (slim though the chance may be), it'll be nice to have a few nasty surprises to throw at them.

Quote:
As a side note, with all that gear inside, those guns must look like the pistols that Warhammer miniatures carry - you know the ones that look like they mass about 15 kilograms. Shocked Those dudes must be way strong to be able to quick draw one of those beasts.

Yeah. Whoever makes Warhammer miniatures really must be compensating for something. I picture something more along the lines of Blade's machine pistol in the Blade films, then chalk any issues on it being a munchkin cannon up to the wonders of miniaturization and the idea that it is not a weapon that the character's are going to run into often (if at all), unless they are facing a truly formidable enemy that deserves a truly formidable gun.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take away the sniper function and I like it plenty.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
...The information on the weapons may be available, but getting that information would practically require a full adventure in and of itself. It's not exactly something the average character can just look up on the local backwater's Google equivalent.
What average characters know is kind of moot, since average characters have no business running into Palpatine's Red Guards.

Quote:
... (on a related note, the scatter blaster would make an excellent anti-Jedi weapon; cone-shaped blast can't be parried and it can't be dodged at close range).
But then that is also a threat to Palpatine. Which I think he would prefer to avoid. Guys with staves are little threat to the Sith we saw in RotS. I think the Red Guard are around more for color and show and to keep the hoi polloi away. Not because Palpatine actually needs to be protected from dozens of Jedi assassins. You seem to have a different view, which is probably what is stimulating your line of thought.
Quote:
I picture something more along the lines of Blade's machine pistol in the Blade films, then chalk any issues on it being a munchkin cannon up to the wonders of miniaturization and the idea that it is not a weapon that the character's are going to run into often (if at all), unless they are facing a truly formidable enemy that deserves a truly formidable gun.
I just don't see Star Wars tech as highly miniaturized. Look at the size of the comlinks. About like earth mobiles but without the keyboard, screen, or email of my crackberry. Look at the number of switches, dials, and whatnot in the Millenium Falcon's cockpit or look at how large Han's rather simple heavy blaster pistol is. To fit all the different functions into one gun it looks like it should be a shoulder weapon. But hey, different strokes for different folks. I hear there are even folks who like the T-6 "Thunderer stats. Rolling Eyes
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad.. i would modify it thusly..

Imperial Munitions Imperial Guard Assault Blaster Pistol
Model: Imperial Munitions IG-7
Type: Assault Blaster Pistol
Skill: Blaster: Imperial Guard Assault Blaster Pistol
Ammo: 2100
Cost: 5,000 (Power Packs: 50). Not Available For Sale.
Availability: 4, X
Range: 4-50/100/200
Damage: 5D+2
Special Features:
Scomp link. Tied directly to the guardsman's helmet MTFAS, this grants +2d to fire when shooting more than once (only offsets MAPS).
-Conical blast capacity. Can be used to fire a cone of energy, similar to how the Corporate sector Deck sweepers work, with a 4/8/12 range. Those in the short range area get no chance to dodge, -4d at medium and -1d at long. Damage is 5d/4d/3d. Uses 5 charges. Simple action to switch modes.
Special defenses: NOTE all these are unknown outside the Emperor's inner circle as of Hoth. After Return of the Jedi, some lore of them does exist.
-Each pistol is individually coded to the Guardsman to which it is issued, with a multi-spectrum bio-scanner built into the grip. It cannot be used by anyone other than the Guard to which it is issued or other guardsmen. If anyone other than the pistol's assigned Guardsman attempts to fire the pistol, it triggers a massive shock to the wielder as if 10 shots had hit him (8d damage).
-The pistol is also keyed to the comlink integrated into the Guardsman's armor. If the pistol is further than 50 meters away from the Guardsman for more than five minutes, the pistol's power pack overloads, inflicting 10D damage to anyone in direct contact with the pistol, dropping 2d every 5 meters away. Imperial Technicians working in the Imperial palace know of this and repair the guns accordingly.
-Attempting to reprogram the pistol to accept a new gunner requires 3 items. 1) a specialized key (carried by each guardsman group leader), 2) a second key carried by the top engineers for the royal guard unit and 3) voice command override (only known to the engineers).
Faking any of these require at least 2 Very Difficult Computer Programming rolls for item 1 or 2, and a Heroic con roll for 3. They must also know that the security system exists.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I hear there are even folks who like the T-6 "Thunderer stats. Rolling Eyes

This is my version of the thunderer.... I like it.

BlasTech T-6 Thunderer Dam: 6D Ammo:10 Range:
3-7/25/50 Cost: 1500 Avail: 3, X

Edit: I actually have a heavy blaster pistol with Damage 6D+1. Its a DDC M44 Rancor for 2250 Cr. Please note that in our games DDC is a high end weapons manufactor, producing powerful but expensive weapons in smaller numbers. They often base their designs on other weapons and refine them further. Hence there is a Blastech S-Web Mk II sniper rifle and a very similar but mor powerful DDC EW50 Thunderlance rifle.... (its the rebuilt E-web sniper from another thread)
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Bren wrote:
I hear there are even folks who like the T-6 "Thunderer stats. Rolling Eyes
This is my version of the thunderer.... I like it.

BlasTech T-6 Thunderer Dam: 6D Ammo:10 Range:
3-7/25/50 Cost: 1500 Avail: 3, X
So you kept the same range. Dropped the damage -2 pips, dropped the ammo from 25 to 10, doubled the cost, and changed the availability from 2, R to 3, X. Still a bit overpowered for normal PCs, but much, much more reasonable. Smile I like it a lot better.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Imperial Guard Blaster Pistol Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
What average characters know is kind of moot, since average characters have no business running into Palpatine's Red Guards.

The relevant point here is that this is not information that can be obtained by popping into the local library and doing an internet search. The fact that these weapons even exist would be uncommon knowledge. Certainly, all the things you suggested are potential security breaches, and could potentially be exploited to the detriment of the IG's when they use this blaster. In the same sense that an asteroid could fall out of the sky and hit my apartment. Possible does not automatically mean probable.

Quote:
But then that is also a threat to Palpatine. Which I think he would prefer to avoid. Guys with staves are little threat to the Sith we saw in RotS. I think the Red Guard are around more for color and show and to keep the hoi polloi away. Not because Palpatine actually needs to be protected from dozens of Jedi assassins. You seem to have a different view, which is probably what is stimulating your line of thought.

Again, possible does not automatically mean probable. If there is one group in the Empire that is the least likely to turn their weapons on the Emperor, it would be the Imperial Guard. Their true numbers are unknown, but some estimates put their strength as high as 10,000, and out of all that number, only two Guardsmen are known to have betrayed the Emperor: Carnor Jax, and Colonel Vin Northal (see Cracken's Rebel Operatives, page 5). That's roughly .02% (assuming the higher estimates of the Guard's strength are accurate).

Above and beyond that, the odds of an entire Guard detachment going rogue and all trying to kill the Emperor are even lower. Even if one Guard did turn traitor and try to assassinate the Emperor, not only would he have to get past Palpatine's force abilities, he'd have to fight whoever else was on duty. And if a rogue Guard did get a shot off? Absorb/Dissipate Energy bolstered by a Dark Side Point, followed immediately by a blast of Force Lightning or TK Kill.

And yes, the Red Guard may be just for show; a luxury for Palpatine so that he doesn't have to focus on defending himself. But that doesn't mean they shouldn't be the best trained and best equipped soldiers in existence. The problem with an elite guard that is more style than substance is that, eventually, someone is going to call their bluff.

Quote:
I just don't see Star Wars tech as highly miniaturized. Look at the size of the comlinks. About like earth mobiles but without the keyboard, screen, or email of my crackberry. Look at the number of switches, dials, and whatnot in the Millenium Falcon's cockpit or look at how large Han's rather simple heavy blaster pistol is. To fit all the different functions into one gun it looks like it should be a shoulder weapon. But hey, different strokes for different folks. I hear there are even folks who like the T-6 "Thunderer stats. :roll:

That's up to individual interpretation. I really don't care one way or the other about the Thunderer. If there is one constant with regards to tech discussions on this forum, it is that you and I have very different opinions as to what technology is and is not capable of in the SWU. I just don't think its plausible that technology could advance so far as to allow energy weapons, gravity manipulation and interstellar travel while circuitry miniaturization stays stuck in the equivalent of the late 20th century.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Not bad.. i would modify it thusly..

Ammo: 2100

Typo?

Quote:
Range: 4-50/100/200

In many ways, this weapon is a homage to the gun used by the protagonist in the Half-Life PC game spin-off The Gunman Chronicles. It could fire single shot, rapid fire, a charged up blast, or it could switch over to a ranged mode. I kept the regular range at Blaster Pistol levels because I wanted the pistol to be capable of hitting at both short and long ranges, but not both at the same time. In sniper mode, the beam focusing system fires a needle-beam shot for beam coherency at long range, and it uses up two normal shots worth of energy in a high-intensity beam. The scomp-linked sight provides the targeting, and the gyro-stabilizer kicks in to provide the stability, holding the weapon steady for the shot (and also making it harder to turn and angle the weapon quickly to hit a target up close).

Quote:
Damage: 5D+2
Special Features:
Scomp link. Tied directly to the guardsman's helmet MTFAS, this grants +2d to fire when shooting more than once (only offsets MAPS).

Hmmm. Personally, I like having the auto-fire mode; it was probably the simplest special feature on this thing. It's nothing more complicated than a weapon than can toggle between a single shot and a short burst.

Quote:
-Conical blast capacity. Can be used to fire a cone of energy, similar to how the Corporate sector Deck sweepers work, with a 4/8/12 range. Those in the short range area get no chance to dodge, -4d at medium and -1d at long. Damage is 5d/4d/3d. Uses 5 charges. Simple action to switch modes.

Nice rules for that. I like the "slug" firing option because it gives the Guardsman a good anti-vehicle shot, or a good weapon for taking out a door or some other inanimate object.

Quote:
Special defenses: NOTE all these are unknown outside the Emperor's inner circle as of Hoth. After Return of the Jedi, some lore of them does exist.

Very nice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: