The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Anyone out there looking for a new game?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview -> Anyone out there looking for a new game? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Guardian_A wrote:
Any restrictions on what kind of equipment we can start with?

I'm thinking about giving my character a temermental droid and an assortment of tech equipment. Something like this:

Equipment:
Comlink
Datapad
Knife
Multitool
Heavily Modified R2 Astromech Droid
400 Credits

I can write a short backstory and do the stats for the droid if its ok to have it. I figure the droid would be to assist my character with piloting any Space Transport that the group may find themselves using during our adventures.

That looks good for equipment. I assume you will want a side arm as well?

I am ok with the astromech droid as well. When you say temperamental I automatically think of R2. That sould be good for the story. If he is heavily modified, would it also be realistic to give him a few quirks? Maybe a program here or that that doesn't function quite right?

If its ok with you, I will add a set of microbinoculars to his gear as well.

No, I didnt intend to give him a firearm. He might be willing/able to fly pretty much anything into the bowels of hell itself, but hand him a blaster and he's not going to be sure which end to point at the enemy.

As for the droid. I figured that I would use the rules for Droid Characters in Fantastic Technology: Droids p39 if thats ok? Will you want me to be running the droid or will you want to run the droid as an NPC?

With Jedi Skyler's character, if you ask him to put 4-5 skill points into Force powers the character could probably pass for a fresh Jedi Knight with little to no real world experience. Just a thought.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, I didnt intend to give him a firearm. He might be willing/able to fly pretty much anything into the bowels of hell itself, but hand him a blaster and he's not going to be sure which end to point at the enemy.

As for the droid. I figured that I would use the rules for Droid Characters in Fantastic Technology: Droids p39 if thats ok? Will you want me to be running the droid or will you want to run the droid as an NPC?

With Jedi Skyler's character, if you ask him to put 4-5 skill points into Force powers the character could probably pass for a fresh Jedi Knight with little to no real world experience. Just a thought.

I am good with using that book for the droid. What are your thoughts on having the droid be played by another PC?

The Macrobinoculars are a go, in fact I would say a necessity that someone in the group has them.

I am also loving the no blaster idea. I don't think I have seen a character do that before.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Jedi Skyler wrote:
What are we looking at for character creation points? Are these going to be characters farther along than normal, with extra dice to add for skills?I only ask because if you're talking about having me run a Master (or even a newly minted Knight), beginning dice aren't really going to reflect him being at that skill level. Or having his own Padawan, for that matter.I am not asking for gratuitous free points or anything...just consideration and clarification. The same can be said for everyone else's characters...I guess it'll just depend on the level of campaign you plan to run.Also, if I have a Padawan, will he be a PC or NPC?

Good questions.  As far as the Master and Padawan angle, I was hoping both would be PCs because I thought that could be a fun/interesting dynamic.  It appears that you wll be the only one playing a jedi, so I am thinking it may fit better if your character is a Jedi Knight. Does that sound alright?  That allows working up to a Master as a goal and maybe makes it easier to have more evened out characters at the beginning.
I do agree that as a knight, he may need a boost in number of dice.  In your estimation, how much more would be sufficient?

Jedi Skyler, what do you think of this suggestion:
"With Jedi Skyler's character, if you ask him to put 4-5 skill points into Force powers the character could probably pass for a fresh Jedi Knight with little to no real world experience. Just a thought."

My other thought was to give you one or two extra attribute dice, but that may not be fair to the other characters. Is there a sourcebook that I may be forgetting that differentiates jedi starting characters and number of skills/attributes?
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Quote:

I am good with using that book for the droid. What are your thoughts on having the droid be played by another PC?

The Macrobinoculars are a go, in fact I would say a necessity that someone in the group has them.

I am also loving the no blaster idea. I don't think I have seen a character do that before.

The droid being played by another PC? I think thats a great idea!

I added a set of Headstrap Microbinoculars (Essentially microbinocular goggles) to my character's gear. With the Bith's short range vision, they will be a must if he wants to drive/fly anything compitently.

Yep! No blaster, no slugthrower, and the knife is a tool, . . . not a weapon. This is a guy who is completely in his element if he is in the pilot's seat of almost any vehicle, but stick him in a firefight and you're lucky if he knows which end of the blaster to point at the bad guy.

Starting Jedi characters. As far as I can remember, a Jedi's starting force powers come directly from their Skill dice pool. Other than that, I cant think of any special rules associated with character creation.

PM incoming with my character sheet.
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dadofett wrote:
Wisconsin Wookie wrote:

When you say "a one-shot," do you have in mind an adventure that lasts a few weeks or a month? Seeing as this would be my first shot at running a PBP game, I would not be opposed to something like that.

On the other hand, we could also shoot for a game that posts maybe 2-3 times a week. What does everyone else here think? What kind of a pace is workable for those who have expressed interest?

Weeks....to a couple of months.... who knows, I may love it and want it to go on longer! 2- 3 post per week works for me as well.

I am interested in a survivalist type character...specializing in survival tactics/living off the land/natural healing/etc. Not necessarily a scout/guide...more of a rugged individualist whose hard edge is extreme even among clones.

Perhaps he is a "specialized clone", or another mercenary hired to train/accompany the clones like southpaw's scout.

Maybe the clones are all NPC's and part of our mission is to see how many we keep alive? Wink

Don't feel like you have to be a clone. Go ahead and come up with whatever you prefer. What are you thinking at this point?
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, looks like I'm going to be the resident astromech! Very Happy

Guardian_A wrote:
Starting Jedi characters. As far as I can remember, a Jedi's starting force powers come directly from their Skill dice pool. Other than that, I cant think of any special rules associated with character creation.

PM incoming with my character sheet.

It's actually from their attribute dice pool:

The Rulebook wrote:
Force Skills. With the permission of the gamemaster, you may choose to give a Force-sensitive character Force skills. There are three Force skills: control, sense and alter. You can give your character 1D in a Force skill at a cost of 1D of attribute dice.

Force-sensitives also get an additional Force Point at character creation (for a total of 2 Force Points). Force-sensitives that put attribute dice into their Force skills get one power for the first 1D put into a skill. The rules aren't specific past that, but going off of the character advancement rules, characters may learn one additional Force power every time they increase a Force skill by one pip, with a Force power that uses two Force skills counting as two powers for such calculations.

That is to say, following that logic, if you put 1D+2 in Control, you would be able to take 3 Control powers (first 1D = one power, +2 pips = two more powers). If you were to put 2D in Sense, and 1D+1 in Alter, you could take 3 Sense powers, 1 Alter power, and 1 Sense & Alter power.

That's about all I can think of as far as the rules concerning Force-sensitive character creation, but I'm rather rusty; haven't cracked a book (until 5 minutes ago) in about two years. Crying or Very sad
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all. It appears that things are moving along. Several have sent me character rough drafts and ideas via pm. I also sent a pm to one of the administrators about getting a thread set up for the new game. Once that is set up, we can get a little more organized.

I don't think it is realistic to start the game this week with the holiday weekend coming up and everyone getting one last chance to rest and relax before the year gets rolling again. Could it be possible though to have the characters and campaign setting set by the end of this weekend? That means submitting characters to me and finalizing them and that also means me sending out a brief synopsis of the campaign to all of you before we start. With any luck, we can be gaming this time next week. If you have any thoughts on that, let me know. Otherwise, I will get back to work and will wait for finalized character sheets.

Also, the more background and personality you can give me on your characters the better. Thanks!
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Hey all. It appears that things are moving along. Several have sent me character rough drafts and ideas via pm. I also sent a pm to one of the administrators about getting a thread set up for the new game. Once that is set up, we can get a little more organized.

I don't think it is realistic to start the game this week with the holiday weekend coming up and everyone getting one last chance to rest and relax before the year gets rolling again. Could it be possible though to have the characters and campaign setting set by the end of this weekend? That means submitting characters to me and finalizing them and that also means me sending out a brief synopsis of the campaign to all of you before we start. With any luck, we can be gaming this time next week. If you have any thoughts on that, let me know. Otherwise, I will get back to work and will wait for finalized character sheets.

Also, the more background and personality you can give me on your characters the better. Thanks!

Background:
Bri'tan Shi'ld is a young Bith tech junkie. Even from his earliest years he has loved anything mechanical, but anything that can be driven or flown has a special place in his heart. He craves the wind in his hair and the g-forces of flight the way a junky craves his next fix. Unfortunately, this need for speed has a tendancy to get him into trouble. "Sorry officer, I didnt see any speedlimit posted." or "That was your speeder? Boy its fast!" Recently, he rescued a droid from a scrap heap. After repairing the droid, it became his constant companion, and the closest thing he has to a friend.

Personality:
He has two loves in his life, the first is any piece of machenery that can move a living being at alarmingly fast speeds. The second is the latest piece of tech on the market. He dosnt really understand living creatures, often feeling awkward in social situations. This often manifests itself in the form of his "Borrowing" vehicles from complete strangers without asking first, . . .

Appearance:
Bri'tan is of average height, and more than a little overweight. His entire woredrobe is made up of two black jumpsuits. Due to the near sightedness common of his species he always wears a pair of Headstrap Binoculars so he can see things at a distance.
dadofett
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
dadofett wrote:

I am interested in a survivalist type character...specializing in survival tactics/living off the land/natural healing/etc. Not necessarily a scout/guide...more of a rugged individualist whose hard edge is extreme even among clones.

Perhaps he is a "specialized clone", or another mercenary hired to train/accompany the clones like southpaw's scout.

Don't feel like you have to be a clone. Go ahead and come up with whatever you prefer. What are you thinking at this point?

I'm ok with being a clone...even the clone leader. Haven't ever played Clone Wars era, so was looking for a good clone template.

Do the ones in this thread look ok?: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=105212#105212
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dadofett wrote:
Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
dadofett wrote:

I'm ok with being a clone...even the clone leader. Haven't ever played Clone Wars era, so was looking for a good clone template.

Do the ones in this thread look ok?: http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=105212#105212

Good to hear from you and glad to hear you'll play a clone. The ones in that thread look good to me. I assume you'll want to modify it a little bit to meet your specializations mentioned earlier?
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so here is something to give you an idea of what's coming:

The Clone War has been raging for the past year as the Republic and Separatist armies slug it out. The battle lines have shifted often as each side takes a world only to lose another. The fate of the galaxy hangs in the balance. Which side will gain and maintain the momentum?

In answer to that question, a new threat has become known; a threat so great that if fully realized, could bring the Republic to its knees. The Republic has only heard rumors of this threat, but fears the worst and knows it must investigate. Due to the demands of war, however, all available Masters, Generals and Admirals are out on missions of equal peril. Hastily, the Republic has thrown together a special team to seek out this new threat and ascertain what it will take to defeat it...

* I hope that focuses some thoughts for character creation and background.
** I have just found that emails I have sent are still sitting in my outbox on the site. Be aware that you may receive emails out of order. Hopefully I can figure out how to send them.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely fine putting most of my skill dice in the Force skills. I do need to know how theyre gonna be run as far as how many powers he gets. In previous games I have had it set at 1 power per pip. So at 3D in Control he would have a total of 9 powers. Now, some of those usually pair up with either Sense or Alter, which cuts down on the total number of powers. I'm fine with the GM's call on it, but I need to know how to write it up.

Also, if you are thinking up adding skill dice to my character, the single best way to do it is to do the same for everyone. Either that, or come to an arrangement on some gear they really, really want but can't otherwise justify for a beginning character.

Just my two cents... Wink
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am definitely fine putting most of my skill dice in the Force skills. I do need to know how theyre gonna be run as far as how many powers he gets. In previous games I have had it set at 1 power per pip. So at 3D in Control he would have a total of 9 powers. Now, some of those usually pair up with either Sense or Alter, which cuts down on the total number of powers. I'm fine with the GM's call on it, but I need to know how to write it up.

Go ahead use that same formula, 1 power per pip, with combined powers having the same effect.

Quote:
Also, if you are thinking up adding skill dice to my character, the single best way to do it is to do the same for everyone. Either that, or come to an arrangement on some gear they really, really want but can't otherwise justify for a beginning character.

Ok everyone, I gave Skyler's character a bonus of 2 dice to add to his character because I wanted a jedi with a little more ability than a starting character. To be fair, I am going to offer a bonus to each character. Send me a pm and let me know what type of bonus you are interested in: more starting skills, some equipment, more $, etc. Guardian_A and I have already worked out something for his character. Send me a pm and we'll make a deal.[/quote]
dadofett
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
dadofett wrote:
Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
dadofett wrote:

Good to hear from you and glad to hear you'll play a clone. The ones in that thread look good to me. I assume you'll want to modify it a little bit to meet your specializations mentioned earlier?

Here's what I'm thinking right now:

ARC clone trooper from the first wave of ARC Troopers (depending on timeline of story)

Named Alpha-00 or "Nihl" for short

ARC specializations are in survival tactics (skills TBD)

What rank do you think would be appropriate? Captain? Lieutenant? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Recon_Commando for more on ranks

Nihl has seen some pretty messed up stuff in the battles he's been in and has been forced to survive (and seen others not) on numerous occasions, so he seems very distant.

Has an (appropriately) nihilstic philosophy on life. Still loyal to Republic and men under his command, but disillustioned with the war as a whole and his place in the universe.

Doesn't wear the normal ARC pauldrons, kama, helmet crest, etc because all that is extraneous...keeps everything bare bones.

Puts up wtih other clones and non-clones, but thinks everybody is a prima donna compared to him!

Should have character sheet ready by Saturday or so...
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's what I'm thinking right now:

ARC clone trooper from the first wave of ARC Troopers (depending on timeline of story)

Named Alpha-00 or "Nihl" for short

ARC specializations are in survival tactics (skills TBD)

What rank do you think would be appropriate? Captain? Lieutenant? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Recon_Commando for more on ranks

Nihl has seen some pretty messed up stuff in the battles he's been in and has been forced to survive (and seen others not) on numerous occasions, so he seems very distant.

Has an (appropriately) nihilstic philosophy on life. Still loyal to Republic and men under his command, but disillustioned with the war as a whole and his place in the universe.

Doesn't wear the normal ARC pauldrons, kama, helmet crest, etc because all that is extraneous...keeps everything bare bones.

Puts up wtih other clones and non-clones, but thinks everybody is a prima donna compared to him!

Should have character sheet ready by Saturday or so...

I like it. Let's make him a captain. You'll have three other Clones in your squad. Let me know if you have any other questions.
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> PbP Overview All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: