The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Seven Forms
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Seven Forms Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, VII as a mish mash of V, II, and IV with a heavy dose of agression (which may or may not be well controlled) and if VII is abruptly switching from Form to Form it would end up looking syncopated, choppy, and unpredictable rather than smooth and flowing like the other forms. I can work with that.

Form I kind of like kendo with a deliberate style suited more for non-energy weapons. I think I can work with that.

Form VI, still just seems like a stew. A bit of this and a bit of that. That's both hard to describe and too much like form VII. Still need help with this one.

A related tangent, is that in the back of my head is a notion that the Forms should somehow match up to styles of music. Maybe form VII is like a baroque fugue with a complex polyphony of forms V, II, and IV - whereas form V might be a Wagnerian romantic piece, but that's as far as I get. It would probably help if I was actually a composer and understood various musical forms.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Form VI, still just seems like a stew. A bit of this and a bit of that. That's both hard to describe and too much like form VII. Still need help with this one.

Based on the description in Fightsaber, Form VI seems to look like a Jedi standing with his lightsaber on his belt, asking his opponent "Why can't we all just get along?" As far as how it looks in combat? I would suggest watching the arena battle in AOTC and keep an eye out for the Jedi actors who appear to have gotten the abridged version of lightsaber combat stunt training. Since Form VI let lightsaber practice slide in favor of peaceful solutions, their combat technique would not be as fluid or precise as that of their more martial comrades.

As for the music example? I'm no music major either.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another important thing to remember is that the various Forms were also expressions of various facets of Jedi philosophy. Kit Fisto might've stuck to Form I's simplicity as a personal expression of belief, regardless of the coolness factor.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, should it be possible to custom build a lightsaber hilt that is specifically designed to complement a specific form, not just in the hilt, but in the blade generation as well? We already know Dooku's curved hilt saber was specially designed for Form II; what would be some modifications that would be appropriate for other Forms?

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Another important thing to remember is that the various Forms were also expressions of various facets of Jedi philosophy. Kit Fisto might've stuck to Form I's simplicity as a personal expression of belief, regardless of the coolness factor.
But I don't really get what philosophy is associated with Form I. I'm also a little confused on how the Form VI style and look complement it's negotiating focus in philosophy

Form I - ???
Form II - values precision and elegance and economy of motion
Form III - values defense: the first rule is don't let them hit you
Form IV - values unpredictable motion: be where you enemy does not expect you to be (this works for both attack and defense)
Form V - values attack: take the battle to your opponent
Form VI - ??? talk first? or maybe can't we all get along? or maybe a bit of this and a little of that makes me look like a bad @$$ with a lightsaber?
Form VII - do whatever it takes to win (but you this balances on a knife edge as you do so at the risk of succumbing to your anger)

Does this sound correct? Any thoughts on fixing Forms I and VI? Any changes or additions for the other forms?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

A related tangent, is that in the back of my head is a notion that the Forms should somehow match up to styles of music. Maybe form VII is like a baroque fugue with a complex polyphony of forms V, II, and IV - whereas form V might be a Wagnerian romantic piece, but that's as far as I get. It would probably help if I was actually a composer and understood various musical forms.

I kinda see then as martial arts styles. From II strikes me as fencinng, Form III as Akido (which does have swrod techniques, and Form VII as Jeet Kune Do.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But I don't really get what philosophy is associated with Form I. I'm also a little confused on how the Form VI style and look complement it's negotiating focus in philosophy

Form I - ???

Simplicity and fundamentals.

Quote:
Form III - values defense: the first rule is don't let them hit you

Form III was also an expression of the Jedi's belief in non-aggression, using the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Quote:
Form IV - values unpredictable motion: be where you enemy does not expect you to be (this works for both attack and defense)

Per Fightsaber, Form IV was an expression of the Force in all things, including the duelist, and the duelist expressing this in turn by using the Force to enhance his combat abilities.

Quote:
Form V - values attack: take the battle to your opponent

The best defense is a good offense, or as put in Fightsaber "Peace through superior firepower."

Quote:
Form VI - ??? talk first? or maybe can't we all get along? or maybe a bit of this and a little of that makes me look like a bad @$$ with a lightsaber?

As much as I hate to admit it, KOTOR II got the title just right when they called Form VI the "Moderation Form." In essence, Form VI emphasizes moderation and balance in all things; not too much offense, not too much defense, not too mobile, not too stationary, not too passive, not too aggressive, and ultimately, not too much lightsaber combat (try to negotiate first). Form VI was the perfect diplomat's form for Jedi in peace time, but ultimately wasn't up to the challenge of open warfare. IMO, it is the perfect Form for non-combatant Jedi, such as healers, scholars and diplomats.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I've been reading the posts on the Seven Forms. And I'd like a simple way to have the forms add some coolness, color, and maybe a whiff of strategy or difference between Force Users. But as I look at the writeups of the forms I am left unsatisfied.

Initially I am concerned with how the forms look different rather than specific game mechanics. If I can't see the forms in my mind, giving them bonuses and penalties just ends up being a set of D20 D&D like feats.

Form I - virtually no color here, that I can detect, in the original writeup. It's the basic form that babies learn. (Though why Kit Fisto sticks with Form I, I don't quite get.)

Form II - duelist form, looks like Spanish style rapier combat. OK this one I get and it has color and is distinct. Designed for LS v LS combat and balanced between attack and defense.

Form III - defensive form designed for protection from blaster fire and expanded to be a defensive form. (I think of this as being analogous to akido in that it is more defensive and reactive compared to a more aggressive martial art like taekwondo.)

Form IV - bouncy, jumping, spinning form - what we see Yoda use in the films and I guess what we see Asoka Tanu use in the cartoons. Seems like it would be difficult to use in a confined space or to defend a doorway.

Form V - agressive form designed for strong attacks and wide blows, turning even blaster parries into an attack via reflection. (Seems like the opposite of Form III in a way.)

Form VI - seems to be lightsaber for poets and it is a mish mash or weakened version of the other forms, except when it is described as different. Like Form I this is a form that I don't quite get, nor do I see how it would look different than the other forms like II, III, IV, and V.

Form VII - either Form V on redbull and steroids or else a different looking form that has a staccato, punctuated style contrasting to the more smooth and flowing movements of I guess all the other styles. Again, I'm not sure how this style looks different than the other Forms.

Two saber use seems to be mushed into several of the forms and used by different form users e.g. Form IV - Asoka, Form II ? - Asajj Ventress, and a number of Form VI users.

Can you guys help me here? What am I missing about how to describe the forms oh sages of Form?

I like what you said about being able to "see" the forms in your mind. i'll share my 7 forms on another thread cause I'd like help with those as well. But I definitely see what you're saying about making it more than just bonus or penalty. I think I have a pretty good representation of Form 1, and form 7, but the rest are pretty difficult to portray through dice stats.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I would suggest the film evidence for how the various Forms look.

Form I is pretty much Luke in ANH and ESB, Form II is Dooku, Form III is Obi-Wan in ROTS and ANH, Form IV is Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in TPM (with Yoda as an extreme version), Form V is Anakin from ROTS onward, Form VI is the dead Jedi in the arena battle, and Form VII is Mace Windu and Darth Maul (and likely Darth Sidious in ROTS, as well).

Which three are you having trouble with?

I honestly don't see any form 4 in Qui Gon and Obi-Wan... they look like what I would imagine form 1 looking like. I know that the "canon" claims they use form 4, but this is where I'd have to say that whoever decided that hadn't seen episode 2 yet. Yoda's display of form 4 blows completely out of the water the idea that any other character in the movies is a form 4 user (with the possible exception of Darth Maul, who has been established as a form 7 user). Not because he's the "best" at it, but because he's the only character that actually uses all the jumps and flips and maneuvers that would give any kind of advantage.

Last edited by Naaman on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
I honestly don't see any form 4 in Qui Gon and Obi-Wan... they look like what I would imagine form 1 looking like. I know that the "canon" claims they use form 4, but this is where I'd have to say that whoever decided that hadn't seen episode 2 yet. Yoda's display of form 4 blows completely out of the water the idea that any other character in the movies is a form 4 user. Not because he's the "best" at it, but because he's the only character that actually uses all the jumps and flips and maneuvers that would give any kind of advantage.
I tend to agree that they are not using Form IV - maybe Form V or I suppose Form I. In fact, I would say on film evidence Darth Maul is the closest to Yoda (but not very close)by virtue of the spins, flips, and roundoffs he does in TPM. In the Clone Wars TV series, Asoka Tanu seems like a student of Form IV - though of course not up to Yoda's level.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I kinda see then as martial arts styles. From II strikes me as fencinng, Form III as Akido (which does have swrod techniques, and Form VII as Jeet Kune Do.
Yes me too. And I agree, Form II is mostly European rapier and saber fencing and Form III seems like Akido to me - in part because it focuses more on using the attacker's energy against him rather than attacking directly. Googled Jeet Kune Do the description sounds perfect for Form VII. Not certain about how it looks compared to the other forms, but I think I can work with some of the text on google - "direct, straightforward movements and a belief in minimal movement with maximum effect and extreme speed" - seem like it works well.

And thanks all for the discussion, it is helping some. I just wish the Forms were more obviously distinct and clearly visually different.

I'm still not getting a good feel for a look for Form VI - maybe flowing movements like tai chi? The differenece from Form III would be Form III's more circular movements.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to think of them like separate martial arts styles. I've always thought of them as one form of combat as a whole, with each form emphasizing one or two specific features of the lightsaber itself.

So, in my mind, all Jedi use "lightsaber combat" to fight with their lightsaber, but a form 5 guy, for example, is particularly fond of redirecting blaster fire, so he trains that aspect to a higher degree than other Jedi. A form 3 guy likes the idea of using the Force to foresee dangers and strategies, so he practices using the Force for that specific application in combat, etc.

Rather than being completely separate disciplines, I just think of them as little branches on the same tree.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Interesting to think of them like separate martial arts styles. I've always thought of them as one form of combat as a whole, with each form emphasizing one or two specific features of the lightsaber itself.
And they could well be diffferent aspects of a martial arts family - sort of like different styles of Kung Fu or something.

But dramatically I want the forms to look and feel different . I want the look for description of combat and to envision how a RPG fight might look on film. I want the forms to feel different so that a Jedi can choose a form that harmonizes with his personal style and philosophy. Combat style and character personality should harmonize.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to combine some of the comments with my prior postings. How does this description fit with what we know of the forms and with what might look and feel interesting?

Form I: Shii-Cho – The first of the forms and the first that a Jedi studies, Form I focuses on simplicity and fundamentals. Shii-Cho favors deliberate motion and looks like the somewhat stylized movements of formal kendo.

Form II: Makashi – The duelist’s form - values precision, elegance, and economy of motion. Form II looks a like a cross between Spanish rapier and European saber fencing.

Form III: Soresu – The ultimate combat expression of the Jedi's belief in non-aggression, using the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack, Form III values defense, the first rule is: don't let them hit you. It was designed for protection from blaster fire and expanded to be a complete defensive form. Because it focuses on defense, it is essentially more reactive and less aggressive than the other forms. Soresu looks somewhat like the circular movements of akido with both close-in and extended defensive circles.

Form IV: Ataru - Values unpredictable motion: be where you enemy does not expect you to be (this works for both attack and defense). Ataru makes extensive use of rapid spins, flips, and jumps which may make it difficult to use in a confined space such as defending a doorway. Classic example is Yoda in AotC and RotS.

Form V: Shien / Djem So - values attack: take the battle to your opponent. An aggressive form using strong attacks and wide blows, turning even blaster parries into an attack via reflection. The classic example of Form V is Anakin in RotS.

Form VI: Niman – The moderation form or balance form, also sometimes called the diplomat’s form. Niman is based on Form I combined with a mix of the easier elements of the other earlier forms in an attempt to balance attack, defense, and movement with diplomacy. Form VI tends to look like the smooth, flowing, circular movements of tai chi, but practitioners often seem to lack precision and speed compared to the other forms. Niman is often favored by less combat oriented Jedi.

Form VII: Juyo/Vaapad – Even more aggressive than Form V, Form VI blends aspects of forms II, IV, and V. Juyo’s motto is: do whatever it takes to win and it harnesses the combatant’s anger to power his moves, but because of this it balances on a knife edge as the practitioner risks succumbing to the Dark Side. Because of Juyo’s rapid and unpredictable style changes; direct, straightforward movements; and a belief in minimal movement with maximum effect and extreme speed Juyo look less smooth and more staccato and choppy than the other six forms.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But dramatically I want the forms to look and feel different . I want the look for description of combat and to envision how a RPG fight might look on film. I want the forms to feel different so that a Jedi can choose a form that harmonizes with his personal style and philosophy. Combat style and character personality should harmonize.

So, have we satisfied your curiosity with regards to the substance of the seven forms, or are you still looking for something else?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: