The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Trade Federation Battleship
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Trade Federation Battleship Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Trade Federation Battleship Reply with quote

Anyone know where I can find stats for the starship compliment of a trade federation battleship?

Starship Complement: 50 landing ships, 1500 droid starfighters

I found the droid starfighters easily. But I'm not sure what the ship designation is for the landing ships.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I retract my question. Found it in the Clone Wars conversion file. Of course I forget to check there before I ask... Sorry all!
KarnOtt
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Trade Federation Battlership-Alliance Carrier? Reply with quote

Any thoughts as to how many X- or Y-Wings one of these could hold? Kinda had a campaign idea involving a Nemoidian joining the Alliance with one of these in tow.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craft: Xi Char Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mk. 1
Length: 3.5 meters

Craft: Incom T-65B X-Wing
Length: 12.5 meters

I'd divide the total fighter compliment by about 4 or 5 to get how many x-wings can be carried by that particular craft. Since droid starfighters require less operating room for pretty much every aspect of their operation.

X-wings require quite a bit of space around them for maintenance crews to handle weapons loading, re-fueling, and repairs. Estimate room for maybe 300 X-wings on that ship.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, don't forget that one of the reasons a Trade Federation Battleship is able to carry so much is because it has no need for crew quarters, dining facilities, large medical bays, etc. Any Separatist vessel that is converted over to carry organic troops or piloted starfighters is going to lose a lot in the way of numbers simply because the crew itself requires a lot more space to live and work in.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make up for that, you can use cargo to crew conversions.

Since as a GM, cost is no object, you convert the 5,000,000 metric tons of cargo capacity to crew accommodations. The conversion is 10 tons per passenger, so if you convert half of the cargo to passenger dorms you end up with 250,000 passenger capacity. Laughing With 5 million metric tons, you've got the space to spare.
Reaper63
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Novel Death Star it can hold 1000 X-Wings. Of course this contradicts the number of X-Wings that actually were built by then, but it's in the novel.
KarnOtt
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, I was throwing a wild guess of 300, didn't really think much about flight crew quarters or support systems.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Craft: Xi Char Variable Geometry Self-Propelled Battle Droid, Mk. 1
Length: 3.5 meters

Craft: Incom T-65B X-Wing
Length: 12.5 meters

I'd divide the total fighter compliment by about 4 or 5...
I happened to look back at this thread. Based on a quick eyeball and measure of an X-wing blue print, the X-wing is about 11.0 meters wide with wings flat (the usual launch and storage position) the Vulture droid is 3.5 x 3.5 meters. So the X-wing is 3.57 times the length and 3.14 times the width of a Vulture droid or 11.22 times the area. Given that greater ease in moving and storing a variable configuration droid, I would calculate that actually dividing by 12 (or more) rather than 4 or 5 is more reasonable given the respective geometries - 1500/12 = 125 X-wings or approximately 10 squadrons.

We were thinking of using a CIS Frigate as a new flagship for our Rebel group. I think a Trade Federation Battleship would make a great Rebel base. The fact that it might still be jump capable would be a huge bonus.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 works also.

Most of the ship stats books don't bother with width or height measurements.

Besides, the 5,000,000 metric tons of cargo capacity means that it can carry as many starfighters as the GM needs to by converting cargo bays to hanger bays.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. You could also cut down on some of the following to make more room:
    Troop carriers (1,500)
    Multi-Troop Transports (550)
    Armored Assault Tanks (6,250)
    B1 battle droids (over 329,600)

The Trade Federation Battleship is not just the SW version of an aircraft carrier. It has it's own significant ground forces (infantry and armor) in addition to the starfighter complement. It is almost a carrier battlegroup all on its own.
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=Capital_Ships#Hoersch-Kessel_Drive.2FTrade_Federation

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
Gamer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time ago I took a lot of notes and way too many screen shots of this very misunderstood and badly statted vessel.
500 days of consumables, really? that's like making a nuclear sub and making it come back to port every week for replenishment.
Don't really think the cargo capacity is right but not that big an issue to me, I'd have to go and dig through my external harddrive and find all the notes took though.

The number of starfighters?
The Armored assault tank 9.75m and about x6m wide x about 4m high, now compare it to the size of an A-wing -the stats saying the A-wing is 9m long who was piloting that thing in ROTJ king kong?, the filming model and on screen show it more to be 4-5 meters long - but even if you take the 9m length for the A-wing the battleship could still store thousands of A-wings by exchanging the tanks for A-wings and this still takes into account maintenance space during storage.

There are 550 MTTs on board each over 31m long and about 4m wide now exchange them for x-wings.
Looking at way over 300 xwings right there alone.

1,500 troop transports each 26 m long and about 3 m wide that's alot of general space.

50 C9979 landing craft, each is 270 m long and 370 wide.
The 4 wings are removed and stacked together for storage-as shown in episode 1 when anakin lands in the hanger and each stack of those wings would roughly equal one CR-90 corvette. I'm guessing 160m Lx60m W which is about 4 rows of 11 x-wings.
The fuselage is 270 meters long and about 12m wide.
you could store about 19 x-wings for each fuselage that there is about 950 x-wings.

The number of starfighters it could carry is alot more than 1000 -the deathstar novel never said 1000 was the maximum though- and that is only taking into consideration the carried battledroid combat vehicle space and not vulture droid space or the floor space of the main hanger area itself and if you seperated the aft hanger sections up in each arm into multi decks and you could house a lot more but why bother?

This also isn't even taking into consideration the hanger space in the coreship itself and that would depend on what type of coreship you have the militarized one or the basic both already have some hanger space and the basic coreship already has passenger space for 60,000 people.
The episode 2 cross section book showing the militarized core makes the storage space it can carry completely insane and still leaving alot of passenger space.
oh well just the ramblings of a mad man here.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 days of consumables = roughly 1.5 years...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that would be worth considering, Gamer, is that while you can store tanks in a room no more complex than an empty warehouse, you need a lot more than that to launch and recover fighters.

While I have no doubt that the ship could carry tons of fighters, I think you can't just look at the internal volume, or even footprint space of the ship and the fighters and come up with an accurate estimate of what the ship can field in a fight.

Complete Starship Construction System
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: