The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsabre Throw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsabre Throw Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximilian Bernas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing a lightsaber is at least 2 actions, and has 2 levels of difficulty: Force assisted and non-Force assisted.

non-Force Assisted
First, you have (hopefully) established the power Lightsaber Combat, if not expect any throw to have a heroic difficulty (try chucking an industrial-grade arc welder and see how well you do...).

Then, using Thrown Weapons, roll to see if you can strike your target. Damage is the lightsaber plus the users CONTROL.

Notice, I say non-Force assisted even though Lightsaber Combat is on. A more technical name should be ALTER assisted throw.

Force Assisted
Lightsaber Combat on...
Thrown Weapons for accuracy...
Telekinesis for any saber movement past a single target or is the saber is to return to the wielder's hand after the throw.

As you can see, all of this done in a single round would decrease available dice due to the multiple actions penalty. -3D in the second example for 2 targets. A new Jedi, a Padawan Apprentice, or a farmboy from Tatooine might sever their own ear in the attempt.

Then there are the dark side points to consider... Is your opponent unarmed or not able to endanger you? Are you striking to kill or to wound? Are you throwing your weapon in anger or frustration?

The best uses of this power that I have done have been:
Knocking out the front wheel of a plane-like vehicle (on a planet where there were no repulsorlifts due to a feakish magnetic field on the planet), causing it to dive nose-first into the runway and preventing the bad guy's escape.
Slicing the cables of a suspension bridge to cut off the attack route of a Stormtrooper company (trying to buy time for the Rebel withdrawl in a mountainous region of a safeworld).
Destroying a Starfighter-scale weapon emplacement (via cutting the barrel off) before it opened fire on an advancing column of unsuspecting Alliance troops in Speeder-scale vehicles.

I have never used this on a living being, as I personally think that the defensive nature of a lightsaber precludes using it in this manner without tempting the Dark Side. But that's merely my own opinion.
Master Rizzy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is only one action. Throwing an item at someone with the asstince of the force is a dark side point BUT seeing as the hilt never hits them it is not a DFP it is the blade and you did not throw that it is enrgy. That is how I run it. There are so many use's for this power it is unbelivable.
Gry Sarth
Jedi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please... that seems like some silly thinking. If you asume that throwing an object at someone with the Force gives a DSP, then throwing a lightsaber should certainly give a DSP as well. Technicalities such as the fact that the hilt (which is what you are controlling) doesn't actually hits the target are inconsequential, you're still in control of the blade through the hilt. That is as saying that you could shoot someone with a gun and not get a DPS because the gun doesn't hit the person, only the bullet does.
Master Rizzy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but it says throwing an object at someone to do damege or injure in any way. The hilt does not hit them. I live by techneiclitys there are the best.
Wolverine
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Lightsabre Throw Reply with quote

Son of Fire wrote:
Does anyone have an idea as to how to handle “Lightsabre Throw”?
I have seen it done in the comics as well the games, and even Vader did it in ROTJ.
Any ideas?

Perhaps using the Telekensis Force Power? That's designed for moving objects to or from the Jedi. That's what I woukld use.
Jace_Terrik
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Telekinesis. It's easier that way. No extra rules, no fuss. Quick-paced and cool.
There is no chaos; there is harmony.
There is no death; there is the Force.
Akari
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, controlling a lightsaber with Telekinesis to do damage screams Darkside points in my face... I would think a lightside could use throw weapon to do basic damage with a lightsaber and use telekinesis to retrieve his weapon but actually letting it swirl around, attacking is definately using the force for evil.
Delkarnu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats why Jedi's need to be smart.

Thrown weapons skill to attack, non-force using (TK can retrieve after the fact). To make this as difficult as it should be, it should use the lightsaber's difficulty and use the lightsaber's penalty for missing difficulty numbers so the spinning blade when thrown hit's you. Damage is base LS damage, I doubt most people would have as many points in thrown weapons as their lightsaber skill.

Use TK and destroy weapons, knock out the lights, engines on a speeder, etc. If lightsaber Combat is up, sense to improve the TK to hit and control for damage. Each target is either another MAP or an increase in the difficulty.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If throwing a lightsaber gets you a DSP, then using a lightsaber should gain a DSP: you are using the force either way.

Throwing a lightsaber without the force is no different than throwing a lightsaber with the force.

DSP's should be given for intent, evil intent. If the Jedi throws his lightsaber to defeat an enemy- no DSP. If the Jedi throws his lightsaber into a crowd, DSP (or many....).

My 2 centicreds....
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: After 6 pages and 6 years... Reply with quote

My take on Lightsaber Throw..
I havent found any rule for this, so I started up the old think-box and threw this together. If any other rules exist please point them out for me for comparison..

Code:

Lightsaber Throw
Req.powers: Lightsaber Combat, Telekinesis
Effect: The Jedi can throw his lightsaber towards one or several targets
and having it return at the end of the round.This is a specialized
Telekinesis power. Roll to hit with Thrown Weapons versus either
Moderate difficulty or the targets Dodge roll. The actual throw is included in
the force power and do not count as an additional action. If the attacker has Lightsaber
Combat activated he may add half his Control to his Thrown Weapons skill as he would
normally add Sense to his Lightsaber skill.
If the target has a lightsaber he may also parry with Melee parry, and get to
add his Sense if he also has Lightsaber Combat activated.

Modification to Alter Difficulty.
Range      Diff.   
Up to 10 meters:        +0   
11-15 meters:   +5   
16-20 meters:   +10   
21-25 meters:   +15   

Extra Target:   +10 (Add range between targets).

I know this power seems to be a sore point for some, fearing Rollmaster would infiltrate and corrupt the SW D6 system, and that not using Telekinesis for this is like saying D20 SW is better than D6 Wink
However, as this is a usable maneuver my thinking is that over time a specialized power that was more efficient but limited than the general Telekinesis power would be developed by someone.

However, Im still looking for ways to 'streamline' this power or just the language (english not beeing my first language) in the description to make it clearer.

So if you have any input, you are welcome to reply..
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im going to incorporate this I think.

Any thoughts on the above power?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the adding half control, i like it.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works for me. I like the idea of more specialized powers, especially those pertaining to TK.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used the following rules.

Throw Lightsaber
Required Power: Telekinesis
Required Skills: Must have lightsaber skill 6D+, and Dexterity or Throw of 4D+.
Effect: Use Alter as the attack roll. Difficulty is based on range: 3-5/10/50 meters. No point blank attack allowed.
Damage: As lightsaber including lightsaber combat if it is up.*
The target may dodge (or parry with a lightsaber using lightsaber combat).
The roll for return of the lightsaber is a separate action. Return difficulty is Difficult.

* On reflection, I would probably use a half damage bonus for LS Combat rather than a full bonus.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Other than the adding half control, i like it.

Ah, its from our games. We only add half Sense to the Lightsaber skill for melee (and half Lightsaber skill to the Sense for parrying blaster bolts). If you play by RAW, add full Control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: