The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lightsabre Throw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Lightsabre Throw Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Lightsabre Throw Reply with quote

Does anyone have an idea as to how to handle “Lightsabre Throw”?
I have seen it done in the comics as well the games, and even Vader did it in ROTJ.
Any ideas?
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handle it in the generic way: "When in dobut, roll and shout." If the charcter wants to do something for which I have no rules, I just think to myself "How difficult is it to throw a lightsaber at a range of three meters." Lightsabers have a base difficulty of a Moderate, so just build off of that. I doubt that anyone would be able to throw it more than ten meters and still have any sort of accuracy, so set that as Heroic or very difficult. Fill in the rest from there.

Funny you mention it, though, becuase I had someone try it just last week. Used a Force point and everything.
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't you make it a specialization of the Lightsaber Skill ?

You should probably be able to use your force powers with that too. 8)

Peter Griffin: "Embrace The Fear." -Family Guy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that’s the thing…. how far would it go? What the difficulty? How much damage? Would it come back? What the difficulty to catch it? It goes on an on. That why I was looking for ideas as to how it could be handled or if someone has a set of rules in place that they use.
If I just made it on the fly…I don’t think I would do it justice.
"My schooling not only failed to teach me what it professed to be teaching, but prevented me from being educated to an extent which infuriates me when I think of all I might have learned at home by myself." - George Bernard Shaw
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From reading "Vision of the Future" Luke and Mara throw their lightsabres and use telekinetics to keep them going and bring them back.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw that there is a skill that could cover that : Throw Weapons -- Specializations : Knife, Spear, Sling or any other weapon

just use it for the lightsaber and use telekinetics to manipulate it like Orgaloth said. 8)

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but then it would only do the base damage and it would not return or do anything really…Jedi-ish. I was thinking something more cinematic; like spinning really fast, flying in non-linear arcs, multiple targets, you know…fun Jedi stuff.
Now I do think that telekinesis should be involved (like a prerequisite), but I think it would require its own power (after all, you have to take Projected Fighting if you want to give a TK force punch even though its basically TK). I’m just not sure as to how to go about it yet.
LoneStar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I saw a while ago a Lightsaber Throw Jedi power. As for where I saw it, I couldn't remember. Try to look for Powers lists.

Indeed, it is not merely throwing a weapon, but using the Force to control it (especially to make it come back). So there are three things you can do:

1- In doubt, I would just make the player do a Control roll and see how well he does. The higher the score, the best control you get over the lightsaber.

2- Use Telekinesis. But the rules of Telekinesis are more meant to make objects float more than anything so it might not be well adapted for a lightsaber throw. That goes for all the powers that derive from Telekinesis (like Force Jump or Force Push). Which brings me to the 3rd point...

3- Create a custom made power. You can keep the velocity rules of the Telekinesis power. That would be my pick. I would make difficulties according to the range (Difficult for short / Very Difficult for medium / Heroic for long distance) and add modifiers according to the control the Jedi wants to have.

Maybe that can help to: if you ever played the Jedi Knight series video games; they have a Lightsaber throw power in them. It has three levels which are described like this (if my memory doesn't fail me): At level 1, the lightsaber goes a short distance and in a straight direction; the Jedi has few control over the direction changes. At level 2, the lightsaber goes further away and the Jedi can make the saber go in a turn (go left or right). At level 3, the distance is of the throw is quite long and the saber can be directed in all directions (can turn over, etc).

LoneStar (hope that helps)
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but then it would only do the base damage and it would not return or do anything really…Jedi-ish. I was thinking something more cinematic; like spinning really fast, flying in non-linear arcs, multiple targets, you know…fun Jedi stuff.
Now I do think that telekinesis should be involved (like a prerequisite), but I think it would require its own power (after all, you have to take Projected Fighting if you want to give a TK force punch even though its basically TK). I’m just not sure as to how to go about it yet.
Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if that last post is confusing, but it seems that we where posting it at the same time their Lonestar.
It was for Hell and Org.
LoneStar
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't mention it but a Lightsaber Throw implies a 'spin' of the blade. As for multiple targets, if you make a custom power, you can just add modifiers according to the number of enemies. Or just consider that multiple actions; one roll for each enemy.

I would put Telekinesis and Lightsaber Combat as prerequesites for this power

LoneStar (less confusing now)
Hellstorm
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you want the lightsaber to return then I don't see any other choice than using Teleniketic Powers. 8)

Son of Fire
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know and I support that Hell.
I’m just saying that it would be more involved than the standard TK power, and as such it would probably constitute it’s own power with TK as a prerequisite to show that it is a derivative of that power.

I’m just wondering how it should be handled rules wise.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm basing my information from what I have read in the novels, and in there Luke and Mara use their lightsabres to clear some stalacmites, by throwing them and controling them with Telekinetics. This did but a spin on the weapon. I guess if you really wanted to you caould use Lightsabre Combat and Telekinetics to make it more flashy and more dangerous in comba situations.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rahl Jynco
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look on page 147 of the Hardcover 2nd ED R&E, under the picture of Luke training with Yoda on dagobah, the Telekinesis rules state that

"Objects may be moved at 10 meters per round; add +5 per additional 10 meters per round. The target must be in sight of the Jedi. Increase difficulty if object isn't moving in simple, straight-line movement: +1 to +5 for gentle turns. +6 to +10 for easy maneuvers. +11 to +25 or more for complex maneuvers, such as using a levitated lightsaber to attack."

So basically the way I see it (and this is just my interpitation) if you already have Lightsaber combat active (-2D for Keep UP) then using these rules you would have to first take the difficulty for the weight of the lightsaber which is Very Easy 1 to 5, I'm hoping its under 1 Kilogram, + the 11 to 25+ for complex maneuvers. So your looking at around a 16 minimum difficulty for throwing your lightsaber.

I hope that helps everyone. Smile

I deal with temptation by giving in...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: