The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Riot Troopers?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Riot Troopers? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
6D? Man i would kill for something that had that body protection.

Well, for this shield to be effective at what it does, it needs to be able to stop blaster fire (at a minimum). Since it isn't being counted as armor, it has to have a Strength rating high enough to do that all on its own.

BUt if you make it too good, then everyone would be using them. For it to not be so, it must have some big downsides (like runs out of power quickly, harms the user if used too long, big and bulky etc)..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
But if you make it too good, then everyone would be using them. For it to not be so, it must have some big downsides (like runs out of power quickly, harms the user if used too long, big and bulky etc)..

Very true. I'm thinking big and bulky would be the best answer for a regular complication. I also have an idea that I like for the other matter...

1). When a lightsaber is used against a power shield, the Jedi may not add his Control dice to damage unless either the Jedi or the opponent with the power shield rolls a Wild Die on the damage roll, in which case the Jedi may add his Control dice to damage.

2). If both sides roll a Wild Die (i.e. the Jedi rolls a 6 and the defender rolls a 1), then the power shield overloads and inflicts 4D Stun damage (electrical) to the defender.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
6D? Man i would kill for something that had that body protection.

Well, for this shield to be effective at what it does, it needs to be able to stop blaster fire (at a minimum). Since it isn't being counted as armor, it has to have a Strength rating high enough to do that all on its own.

BUt if you make it too good, then everyone would be using them. For it to not be so, it must have some big downsides (like runs out of power quickly, harms the user if used too long, big and bulky etc)..

Or is prohibitively expensive. That's a real consideration too.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for many pcs, who just steal them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

More power to the PC's, then. Of course, this thing may not be as handy as certain other rare pieces of equipment. For one thing, a shield like this would be almost impossible to conceal, as well as very difficult to Sneak with.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say impossible to sneak with.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

More power to the PC's, then.

Exactly. If they find a stack of them all giftwrapped on the side of the road with no tripwires attached, that's bad GMing, but if they manage to take one or two from an elite squad that chases them through a large city's industrial district, all the while nearly killing the PCs, then they've earned it.
garhkal wrote:
I'd say impossible to sneak with.

Not for a Wookiee in a trench coat... I just put difficulties for things like this up past heroic, and let the rolls determine if it's possible or not.

Complete Starship Construction System
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I'm still leaning towards shields failing versus lightsabers on a Wild Die roll...
But the problem with that is shield failure is random rather than tied to the skill of the attacker. A Jedi youngling is as likely to cause the shield to fail as is Yoda.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
But the problem with that is shield failure is random rather than tied to the skill of the attacker. A Jedi youngling is as likely to cause the shield to fail as is Yoda.

True. It remains a quandary..

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A possible fix. Perhaps when a Jedi is trying to get through a power shield, he only rolls his Control dice, not including the 5D damage from the lightsaber.

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it!!!

Make the use of the shield a skill and allow a successful roll to negate the control damage (or the base damage, depending on how you see fit) of the lightsaber.

The problem we face is that a shield is supposed to stop a hit, but the use of a damage negating mechanic requires that a hit be scored.

Another possibility is to simply say that because the shield is in play, the Jedi must surpass the parry total by X in order to be allowed to roll full damage. Otherwise, he gets only his control damage (or base damage or whatever fits your vision of the shield)

Yet another possibility is to simply say that the shield provides X bonus against energy attacks (though why it would be designed to be more effective against energy than physical is a mystery).

Another idea would be to impose some sort of movement or actions restriction on the shield bearer in exchange for a very high bonus to soak. For example, "as long as you move no more than 10 feet and make no more than one action, you gain +5D to soak." Even reaction skills would be prohibited, since, in effect, the shield is taking the hit for the character, instead of the character trying to avoid the attack.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Make the use of the shield a skill and allow a successful roll to negate the control damage (or the base damage, depending on how you see fit) of the lightsaber.

The problem with negating the Control bonus is that it completely levels the playing field for all Jedi, so the youngest Padawan would have just as much of a chance of penetrating a shield as Master Yoda would. By negating the Lightsaber's damage instead, it means that more experienced Jedi have a greater chance of damaging the shield, while less experienced Jedi would be forced to go around it (if possible).

Quote:
Another idea would be to impose some sort of movement or actions restriction on the shield bearer in exchange for a very high bonus to soak. For example, "as long as you move no more than 10 feet and make no more than one action, you gain +5D to soak." Even reaction skills would be prohibited, since, in effect, the shield is taking the hit for the character, instead of the character trying to avoid the attack.

Working on a stat write-up for it right now.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, next question. Should a power shield actually deflect blaster bolts (as they are seen to do with the Gungans in TPM)?

Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only in a random direction. At very close range, this could create a danger to the shooter.... For example, the shooter must make a dodge roll of 10 to avoid being hit by his reflected shot. On the other hand, maybe only if the wild die comes up as a 1 for the shooter or as a 6 for the defender would the shooter need to dodge.

It seems like you'd need the control skill in order to actually aim the bolt back on purpose.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

The problem with negating the Control bonus is that it completely levels the playing field for all Jedi, so the youngest Padawan would have just as much of a chance of penetrating a shield as Master Yoda would. By negating the Lightsaber's damage instead, it means that more experienced Jedi have a greater chance of damaging the shield, while less experienced Jedi would be forced to go around it (if possible).

Does the shield therefore completely negate (i.e. reduce to 0 before even rolling to soak) the damage from a blaster, or any other source of energy damage? If not, why a lightsaber's?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: