The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Scale vs. Blast Radius
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Scale vs. Blast Radius Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Scale vs. Blast Radius Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Say, for whatever reason, your character is being shot at by a Starfighter-Scale laser cannon. With current scale rules, there is a pretty good chance that the character can dodge the shot. However, with the level of damage being inflicted (most likely to some object in close proximity to the character), there is a definite chance that the character would be caught in the blast radius of whatever object actually did get hit by the laser blast. What rules have you used to deal with this?

The simple rule of thumb we use in our group is : for each meter from the point of impact, the scale of the damage decreases one step.

For example : a starfighter scale (4d damage) attack to the ground deals 4D starfighter-scale at the center, 4D walker-scale between 1m and 2m, 4D speeder-scale between 2m and 3m, 4d character-scale between 3m and 4m, and no damage at 4m or more.

Usually, if there is nothing to blast near the characters (something that can explode in shrapnels, etc.) like in open water, we decrease the damage two steps per meter.

Obviously, the damage could be both physical (duracrete shrapnels, etc.) and energetic (heat, molten metal, etc.) but usually we resist damage with physical protection as it is not a 100% energetic attack...

For missiles and torpedoes, the blast radius is far greater, but usually we don't even bother with the numbers in such case (either we're protected or we're toast Laughing )
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Scale vs. Blast Radius Reply with quote

Smile I like the decrease by scale. It nicely reflects higher scale weapons causing a bigger blast. It even gives an advantage to (and thus explains the existence of) a 4D speeder scale blaster cannon vs. a 6D character scale weapon, since the speeder scale weapon gets a blast radius with 4D character scale affect.
Krapou wrote:
...Usually, if there is nothing to blast near the characters (something that can explode in shrapnels, etc.) like in open water, we decrease the damage two steps per meter...
Hitting water can also cause damage. I would think a powerful energy weapon would cause a large amount of water to instantly turn to superheated steam, which could cause some nasty burns or even peel the flesh right off you.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hey, wait a minute, I was standing anywhere near where the Deth Star hit..."
Shocked

Seriously, since most of the scaling is in 2D incrments, why not just use -2D per meter?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
Seriously, since most of the scaling is in 2D incrments, why not just use -2D per meter?
You could, but there is no difference between an 8D character scale blaster, a 6D speeder scale blaster cannon, and a 4D walker scale blaster cannon.

Well Krapou's idea was that:
8D character-scale E-web = 8D character scale at point of impact and no damage beyond point of impact
6D speeder scale repulsor tank cannon = 6D speeder at point of impact and 6D character scale within 1-2 meters of impact
4D walker scale AT-ST twin blaster cannon = 4D walker damage at point of impact, 4D speeder scale within 1-2 meters, and 4D character scale between 2m-3m, no damage beyond 3m radius.
2D starfighter scale light laser cannon = 2D SF scale at point of impact, 2D walker scale from 1-2m, 2D speeder scale from 2-3m, 2D character scale from 3-4m, no effect beyond 4m radius.

Your idea would be that all four weapons would have the same effect:
8D character scale at POI, 6D character scale 1-2m, 4D character scale 2-3m, 2D character scale 3-4m, no effect beyond 4m radius.

I like the fact that higher scale weapons get a radius effect that high damage lower scale weapons do not get. If you prefer them the same, use your simplified rule. Obviously there is also a significant difference between the two systems with weapons of Capital scale or beyond. But to my way of thinking individual characters targeted with capital scale or beyond weaponry need to get behind sturdy cover or they should be toast. For space ships, a target in motion is highly unlikely to be 20 meters of another object so the blast effect of capital weapons is generally irrelevant for ship to ship combat.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
"Hey, wait a minute, I was standing anywhere near where the Deth Star hit..."
Shocked

Or -1d per meter..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
You could, but there is no difference between an 8D character scale blaster, a 6D speeder scale blaster cannon, and a 4D walker scale blaster cannon.

I like his idea, but what do you think would be a good range increment for a weapon designed to leave a blast radius, like a pro torp or a missile?

With this rule, larger scale weapons become much more lethal to smaller scale targets. Rather than shooting something that is moving and dodging or ducking for cover, a walker or starfighter simply targets something nearby (and hopefully larger and easier to target) and shoots at it. Boom, and the character nearby catches a load of shrapnel.

Of course, this is sort of the way it works in real life.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true, which is why the better the dodge, the more "Blast radius" they avoid.

Say
Dodge - to hit
1-4 over, 1 blast zone
5-8, 2 blast zones
9-12, 3 blast zones
13-16, 4 blast zones,
17-20, 5 zones
21+ total avoidance.
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I like his idea, but what do you think would be a good range increment for a weapon designed to leave a blast radius, like a pro torp or a missile?

Usually, for such weapons, our GM has some pre-set characteristics in the same way there are stats for grenades and the like.

I guess that when the PCs are under a bombardment, the most important thing is the cinematic aspect, running ou piloting between the collapsing structures, etc. Wink
"When in doubt, roll and shout"
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Question Don't know. Maybe look at grenades as a starting point, then scale from there?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bren]
Well Krapou's idea was that:
8D character-scale E-web = 8D character scale at point of impact and no damage beyond point of impact
6D speeder scale repulsor tank cannon = 6D speeder at point of impact and 6D character scale within 1-2 meters of impact
4D walker scale AT-ST twin blaster cannon = 4D walker damage at point of impact, 4D speeder scale within 1-2 meters, and 4D character scale between 2m-3m, no damage beyond 3m radius.
2D starfighter scale light laser cannon = 2D SF scale at point of impact, 2D walker scale from 1-2m, 2D speeder scale from 2-3m, 2D character scale from 3-4m, no effect beyond 4m radius.[/quote]

Idea Dawn breaks. Now I get it.

I assumed that the damage effects continued on as long as there were damage dice left.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Question Don't know. Maybe look at grenades as a starting point, then scale from there?

I asked about the blast radius of torps a while back, check this thread
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=737&highlight=blast+radius

Quote:
I assumed that the damage effects continued on as long as there were damage dice left.

Yup.

So say an Xwing shoots on Quad..
6d SF at point of impact
6d Walker at 1-2 meters
6d Speeder at 3-4 meters
6d Character at 5-6 meters
4d character at 7-8 meters
2d at 9-10 meters..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: