The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Creating a Sith Lord
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Creating a Sith Lord Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Sith Lord in question was tied to the phases of the moon, he/she may try moving around a lot to avoid the side effects. This would create a very chaotic scedule and would probably make a big impact on the way the Sith Lord is able to do any research or experiments he is working on. Especially if those experiments or research is tied to a specific planet. Thats interesting enough that I may try something like that at some point, . . . . . .
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind, said Sith Lord may look for a planet that has no moons at all in order to have a semi-safe schedule. PC's may only deal with agents of his until they find his home system.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:
Keep in mind, said Sith Lord may look for a planet that has no moons at all in order to have a semi-safe schedule. PC's may only deal with agents of his until they find his home system.

You would need to give the Sith Lord some driving force to make him travel from place to place. Maybe it is some artifact or source of power he is searching for, moving from one clue to another in a race against time to find the artifact before something undesirable happens (Maybe its tied to an event that only happens once every 1,000 years, maybe the Sith Lord is dieing, maybe someone else is searching for it, . . . ?)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Perhaps have his power wax and wan with the moon as many old tails link the moon to madness...
Ummm...which moon(s)? Question Star Wars is in space, ya know. Wink

I think garhkal was talking about the lunar cycle on whatever planet this sith is living on.

That i was.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Creating a Sith Lord Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
I'm working on a new campaign to run for my group and am contemplating using a Sith Lord as the main villain. My group is not too used to playing with force characters that are that strong. Where might I go to get some help with stats for a character like that? How many attribute dice are we talking?

Also, this particular Sith Lord will be a little different. Due to certain events in the story, he will have slowly gone insane over the last several decades. What impact may that have on his skills? Any suggestions with how to proceed?

One of the things you can do is try the TotJ Companion's optional rule Slow Progression into Darkness and select personality traits for you Sith Lord or roll the 4D to get the traits randomly. The chart is

Quote:
  • 4 - Arrogant
  • 5 - Compulsive
  • 6 - Contempt for non-Jedi
  • 7 - Deceitful
  • 8 - Depressed
  • 9 - Disagreeable
  • 10 - Disenchanted with the Jedi Way
  • 11 - Disloyal
  • 12-13 - Egotistical
  • 14 - Hateful
  • 15 - Hopeless
  • 16 - Impatient
  • 17 - Miserly
  • 18 - Obsesive
  • 19 - Paranoia
  • 20 - Phobia
  • 21 - Power Hungry
  • 22 - Quick to Anger
  • 23 - Selfish
  • 24 - Suspiscious

The chart is optional for when a PC recieves a DSP to show the effects the dark side may already be having on them. You could use it to create your Sith Lord's personality.

Wanted Poster
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One of the things you can do is try the TotJ Companion's optional rule Slow Progression into Darkness and select personality traits for you Sith Lord or roll the 4D to get the traits randomly. The chart is

Quote:
* 4 - Arrogant
* 5 - Compulsive
* 6 - Contempt for non-Jedi
* 7 - Deceitful
* 8 - Depressed
* 9 - Disagreeable
* 10 - Disenchanted with the Jedi Way
* 11 - Disloyal
* 12-13 - Egotistical
* 14 - Hateful
* 15 - Hopeless
* 16 - Impatient
* 17 - Miserly
* 18 - Obsesive
* 19 - Paranoia
* 20 - Phobia
* 21 - Power Hungry
* 22 - Quick to Anger
* 23 - Selfish
* 24 - Suspiscious

The chart is optional for when a PC recieves a DSP to show the effects the dark side may already be having on them. You could use it to create your Sith Lord's personality.

Ah yes, the table is tons of fun with force users.

Although sometimes it's rough getting players to play with what gets rolled. So, I have to pick something for them.
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're supposed to roll if doing things randomly. Not have the players roll. But it's something that could be up to the GM how they want to do things. It does say to either choose off the list when a player gets a DSP or to roll a random selction. To me that's the GM alone.

Though I imagine the players are going to refuse to play a personality trait they don't want their character to have if they don't like that idea.

Wanted Poster
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Perhaps have his power wax and wan with the moon as many old tails link the moon to madness...

I think garhkal was talking about the lunar cycle on whatever planet this sith is living on.

That could really cause some insanity trouble; say the planet has 9 moons... "Hmm, that moon is full, that one is not, and that one... Damn! I don't know how mad I'm gonna be! This drives me insane!!"
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
* 4 - Arrogant
* 5 - Compulsive
* 6 - Contempt for non-Jedi
* 7 - Deceitful
* 8 - Depressed
* 9 - Disagreeable
* 10 - Disenchanted with the Jedi Way
* 11 - Disloyal
* 12-13 - Egotistical
* 14 - Hateful
* 15 - Hopeless
* 16 - Impatient
* 17 - Miserly
* 18 - Obsesive
* 19 - Paranoia
* 20 - Phobia
* 21 - Power Hungry
* 22 - Quick to Anger
* 23 - Selfish
* 24 - Suspiscious

Ah yes, the table is tons of fun with force users.

Although sometimes it's rough getting players to play with what gets rolled. So, I have to pick something for them.

One way to deal with this: Keep a stack of post it notes on hand and hand the player notes as the game progresses. Simple things like "That Gamorian is looking at your stuff. He might be thinking about stealing your (Insert favorate item here)" or, "You can feel a Tatooine Sand Beetle crawling up your shorts." If the player has an understanding that his character needs to react to these notes, but dosnt necessarily need to tell anyone else around the table, . . . . . fun ensues!

The best part is that I hand out notes like that when one player notices something or knows something that the other players dont, this way, me handing out a note dosnt rouse any suspician.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
Try turning the table around. Let the player pick something from the list and then make the player justify to you why that particular behavior makes sense for his or her Jedi.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:

That could really cause some insanity trouble; say the planet has 9 moons... "Hmm, that moon is full, that one is not, and that one... d*mn! I don't know how mad I'm gonna be! This drives me insane!!"

LOL.. I know in a prior SW game where i had a pc who was tied to the moon of his planet (and then which ever moon was the prime of any planet he went to), the dm actually assigned a "Prime" moon which was my affecter..
Wisconsin Wookie
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guardian_A wrote:
Raven Redstar wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
* 4 - Arrogant    * 5 - Compulsive    * 6 - Contempt for non-Jedi    * 7 - Deceitful    * 8 - Depressed    * 9 - Disagreeable    * 10 - Disenchanted with the Jedi Way    * 11 - Disloyal    * 12-13 - Egotistical    * 14 - Hateful    * 15 - Hopeless    * 16 - Impatient    * 17 - Miserly    * 18 - Obsesive    * 19 - Paranoia    * 20 - Phobia    * 21 - Power Hungry    * 22 - Quick to Anger    * 23 - Selfish    * 24 - Suspiscious
Ah yes, the table is tons of fun with force users.  Although sometimes it's rough getting players to play with what gets rolled.  So, I have to pick something for them.
One way to deal with this:  Keep a stack of post it notes on hand and hand the player notes as the game progresses.  Simple things like "That Gamorian is looking at your stuff.  He might be thinking about stealing your (Insert favorate item here)" or, "You can feel a Tatooine Sand Beetle crawling up your shorts."  If the player has an understanding that his character needs to react to these notes, but dosnt necessarily need to tell anyone else around the table, . . . . . fun ensues!The best part is that I hand out notes like that when one player notices something or knows something that the other players dont, this way, me handing out a note dosnt rouse any suspician.
Thanks everone!  That chart and these comments will all be very helpful.On a related question:  As I think about back-story, realistically how long does it take one to become a Sith Lord? Keeping in mind that he didn't set out intentionally to become one.
Guardian_A
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
Thanks everone!  That chart and these comments will all be very helpful.On a related question:  As I think about back-story, realistically how long does it take one to become a Sith Lord? Keeping in mind that he didn't set out intentionally to become one.

That often depends. How old was the character when he/she discovered they were force sensitive? How strong was the character's force sensitivity? Did the character have teachers? Did the character have access to Sith/Jedi lore or a Holocron? Did the character have a drive for power that drove him to the teachings of the Sith? Or was he seduced by the dark side over time?

If you look to the books & comics, it seems like most Sith Lords are middle aged or older, but others, like Jacen Solo or Anakin Skywalker became sith lords at a somewhat younger age.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wisconsin Wookie wrote:
As I think about back-story, realistically how long does it take one to become a Sith Lord? Keeping in mind that he didn't set out intentionally to become one.
Sith Lords learn and age at the speed of plot. Wink From what we see, generally Sith Lords are middle aged or older. Their apprentices are often considerably younger.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus usually they had a sith lord training them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: