The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How to handle Rate of Fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> How to handle Rate of Fire Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: How to handle Rate of Fire Reply with quote

The RoF stat is mostly totally arbitrary (except for some heavier weapons).

Even if they made sense anything else than 1 would most of the time with a rather meaningless limitation, as its not that often that you shoot your gun 3 or more times during a round (given the fact that its much harder to make that jump if you fired your gun three times instead of twice). Also, having blaster pistols that only can fire once every 5 seconds seem rather silly.

How about looking over the RoF values. Most pistols will have 2 some exceptional will have 3 (for example Jangos) while heavies will mostly have 1.

RoF will work in a new way. Instead ruling how many shots can be fired during a round, RoF determines how many shots can be fired per firing action. These shots must be fired against the same target and directly after each other. A RoF 2 pistol can be fired twice with a single firing action. If you chose to fire the gun twice you recieve a -1D penalty to all shots. This is not a MAP in itself, so it does only affect the Blaster skill roll. Otherwise MAPs work as usual.

For example: A Rebel fires his (RoF:2) pistol and also makes a dodge action towards some crates. This is two actions for a -1D MAP penalty. He fires his pistol quickly (twice) against a Stormtrooper and recieves a -1D penalty to both shots.
Result: 1 Blaster attack (2 shots) at -2D, 1 Dodge action at -1D.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree they are not needed. many (especially blaster rifles) seem modeled on WW2 era weapons (well their look), so the bolt action firing (one ROF) to me is in keeping with that.
Some others to me should have them as a balancing factor.
EG Blaster pistols. Base 4D. Anything modified to 4d+2 should have a ROF of 3 or less.
Heavies are base 5d. Anything 5d+2 or higher should to me be limited in ROF.
Rifles.. see above.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I disagree they are not needed. many (especially blaster rifles) seem modeled on WW2 era weapons (well their look), so the bolt action firing (one ROF) to me is in keeping with that.
Some others to me should have them as a balancing factor.
EG Blaster pistols. Base 4D. Anything modified to 4d+2 should have a ROF of 3 or less.
Heavies are base 5d. Anything 5d+2 or higher should to me be limited in ROF.
Rifles.. see above.

What I mean is that its not that common that someone shoots the rifle 3 or more times each round anyway. Therefore its more or less a moot point (not even touching the totally arbitrary values here).
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of adding in ROFs for all of the weapons we limited how many actions could be taken in a round. it was a port from the generic d6 system book and it fit with our groups play style fairly well.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

What I mean is that its not that common that someone shoots the rifle 3 or more times each round anyway. Therefore its more or less a moot point (not even touching the totally arbitrary values here).

Maybe for you.. I have been in many games both home and convention gaming, where 4+ shots were taken with the same weapon.. not unreasonable especially when on force points!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Maybe for you.. I have been in many games both home and convention gaming, where 4+ shots were taken with the same weapon.. not unreasonable especially when on force points!

Yeah, force points being the exception.

My player dont run with 8-9D in blaster so we never see someone firing 4+ times, except for making the enemies keep their heads down while crossing a corridor perhaps (with no real chance of hitting anyways).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some at 7d shoot 4 times.. That still gives them 4d per shot.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen someone with 6d shoot 4 times, which gives them 3d each shot
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I've seen someone with 6d shoot 4 times, which gives them 3d each shot

garhkal wrote:
I have seen some at 7d shoot 4 times.. That still gives them 4d per shot.

I've been someone with 7D shooting 5 times. More than once, in fact. (There was a period of time a long while ago when my GM thought more soldiers was as much of a deterrent as better soldiers.)

Complete Starship Construction System
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have also seen someone shoot their blaster 5 times, but its not a regular thing you do (unless your mowing down innocents with no combat skills). Its the exceptions that confirms the rule so to speak..

Fact is still that the current Fire Rate stats is totally pants, and in 95% of times a moot point. It would be another thing if blaster had a Fire Rate of 3-4, but none (barring a single exception perhaps) do. Now you usually can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger, or once every five seconds. Fine if you want 'bolt action star wars' then this is perfect for you. For those who do not want WWI blasters its a bit silly.

The above system is a way of both allowing for a more realistic system without increasing complexity very much, and also bring Fire Rate into the game in a way that actually means something.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The above system is a way of both allowing for a more realistic system without increasing complexity very much, and also bring Fire Rate into the game in a way that actually means something.
Let me try a couple of examples (remember these are just examples, I don't have the actual character's stats handy so if I got them wrong don't tell me, just change the example in your head Wink ).

(1) Han Solo (DL-44 ROF=1) blaster skill (say 9D) takes 4 firing action and dodges in a round. Each firing action is 1 shot and all actions are at -4D (for the 5 actions) so total of 4 shots at 5D skill each.

(2) Jango Fett (twin blasters ROF=3) blaster skill (say 10D) takes 4 firing actions and flies with his rocket pack in a round. Each firing action is at -4D for MAPs (firing and flying), in addition each firing action is 3 shots (for a further -2D penalty). So each of the 4x3=12 shots is at 10D-6D = 4D to hit. He can mow down an entire squad of simple battle droids.

Are these examples correct ZzaphodD?

I like the fact that there is another trade off between high damage and lower damage rapid fire weapons. I think this idea is interesting and may have promise. I would also be tempted to make many holdout blasters ROF=1 as well.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Let me try a couple of examples (remember these are just examples, I don't have the actual character's stats handy so if I got them wrong don't tell me, just change the example in your head Wink ).

(1) Han Solo (DL-44 ROF=1) blaster skill (say 9D) takes 4 firing action and dodges in a round. Each firing action is 1 shot and all actions are at -4D (for the 5 actions) so total of 4 shots at 5D skill each.

(2) Jango Fett (twin blasters ROF=3) blaster skill (say 10D) takes 4 firing actions and flies with his rocket pack in a round. Each firing action is at -4D for MAPs (firing and flying), in addition each firing action is 3 shots (for a further -2D penalty). So each of the 4x3=12 shots is at 10D-6D = 4D to hit. He can mow down an entire squad of simple battle droids.

Are these examples correct ZzaphodD?

I like the fact that there is another trade off between high damage and lower damage rapid fire weapons. I think this idea is interesting and may have promise. I would also be tempted to make many holdout blasters ROF=1 as well.

Don't forget maps for the safety!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
Good one. Laughing I wonder what the MAPs are for being hung over. Perhaps you can suggest an appropriate penalty. Razz
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Random Numbers wrote:
Good one. Laughing I wonder what the MAPs are for being hung over. Perhaps you can suggest an appropriate penalty. Razz

The penalty for hangover is the dog house Very Happy
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: How to handle Rate of Fire Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The RoF stat is mostly totally arbitrary (except for some heavier weapons).

Even if they made sense anything else than 1 would most of the time with a rather meaningless limitation, as its not that often that you shoot your gun 3 or more times during a round (given the fact that its much harder to make that jump if you fired your gun three times instead of twice). Also, having blaster pistols that only can fire once every 5 seconds seem rather silly.

How about looking over the RoF values. Most pistols will have 2 some exceptional will have 3 (for example Jangos) while heavies will mostly have 1.

RoF will work in a new way. Instead ruling how many shots can be fired during a round, RoF determines how many shots can be fired per firing action. These shots must be fired against the same target and directly after each other. A RoF 2 pistol can be fired twice with a single firing action. If you chose to fire the gun twice you recieve a -1D penalty to all shots. This is not a MAP in itself, so it does only affect the Blaster skill roll. Otherwise MAPs work as usual.

For example: A Rebel fires his (RoF:2) pistol and also makes a dodge action towards some crates. This is two actions for a -1D MAP penalty. He fires his pistol quickly (twice) against a Stormtrooper and recieves a -1D penalty to both shots.
Result: 1 Blaster attack (2 shots) at -2D, 1 Dodge action at -1D.

I think it looks reasonable. The only downside is more calculations for maps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: