The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cortex Initiative, MAP and Reaction Skills Conversion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Cortex Initiative, MAP and Reaction Skills Conversion Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
One of my former gms suggested doing something like that.. -1/-2/-4/-6/-8/-10
Keep in mind the rules that Cowboy Hat is proposing require a separate dodge for each incoming attack. With -2D per action penalties very few characters will be able to dodge more than 2 shots. Do you really want PCs and favored NPCs getting killed just by having 4-5 average troopers target them?
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bren"]
garhkal wrote:
...Do you really want PCs and favored NPCs getting killed just by having 4-5 average troopers target them?

I see your point.

I think it would work for a gritty game though. After all, if your up against 4-5 people shooting at you then you're likely to get hurt.

Is it cinematic? Possibly no I'll grant you that, although I think it still could be - very much depends on the presentation.

I would say there's probably ways around it though, the simplest is not having your players go up on 1-5 odds all the time unless you know they've got the bigger guns.

Even in the films, most of the time that our beloved heroes are up against that sort of odds they are running away at the time.

EDIT: You could rule of course that once you dodge, whether it's your first action or one with a negative dice modifier that you don't incur any other penalties whilst you employ that dodge an no other actions.

For example, say I was on a second action and I dodged for -1, I could then dodge again for the same -1, but if I were to try and parry then that would a different action and would be -2.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
EDIT: You could rule of course that once you dodge, whether it's your first action or one with a negative dice modifier that you don't incur any other penalties whilst you employ that dodge an no other actions.

For example, say I was on a second action and I dodged for -1, I could then dodge again for the same -1, but if I were to try and parry then that would a different action and would be -2.
That would help some, but it still treats evasion as a per shot action rather than making yourself harder to hit for all shots which still seems odd to me.

I wonder what the base chance to hit is in Cortex. In Star Wars base to hit is often Easy, which means anyone trained is likely to hit any target that doesn't dodge (a 2D skill has a 50-50 chance to make an easy roll). Is it that easy to hit a non-dodging target in Cortex?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Keep in mind the rules that Cowboy Hat is proposing require a separate dodge for each incoming attack. With -2D per action penalties very few characters will be able to dodge more than 2 shots. Do you really want PCs and favored NPCs getting killed just by having 4-5 average troopers target them?

Perhaps i should have payed a little more attention. I was more on about with dodge as is.. not 1 dodge per shooter.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

I wonder what the base chance to hit is in Cortex. In Star Wars base to hit is often Easy, which means anyone trained is likely to hit any target that doesn't dodge (a 2D skill has a 50-50 chance to make an easy roll). Is it that easy to hit a non-dodging target in Cortex?

To put it in perspective you roll your attribute plus skill - all are between D2 and (usually) D12 +4. Let us say average rolling of D6 + D6

3 is the target to hit although this can be change with a dodge roll. PC's are allowed to roll their Agility dice to have that as a target to hit. This could mean less than three but if you have say a D10 in agility then it could raise the 3 to a 10 without the need for a dodge and would last for the round.

In Cortex you're still allowed to take a dodge at any point, yes it takes a minus skill step. I find it works very well - but the point of this exercise is not whether the conversion is necessarily liked, but whether or not it works.

It's not necessarily sat well with me that if you dodge it then applies to every other attack against AND you can be jumping around and shooting at the same time. To me it doesn't best represent the ebb and flow of battle. The same way that having entire sides taking a turn before you get to shoot (even if your perception would be higher than most of the opposing side) sits well. That being said I have been known to group several npc's together - so I would roll once for say 5 stormtroopers, perhaps with a bonus to their shooting skill for all 5 of them, especially if the PC's were up against many enemies (15 maybe, and "grunts" or "mook" npcs).
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
To put it in perspective you roll your attribute plus skill - all are between D2 and (usually) D12 +4. Let us say average rolling of D6 + D6

3 is the target to hit although this can be change with a dodge roll. PC's are allowed to roll their Agility dice to have that as a target to hit. This could mean less than three but if you have say a D10 in agility then it could raise the 3 to a 10 without the need for a dodge and would last for the round.

In Cortex you're still allowed to take a dodge at any point, yes it takes a minus skill step. I find it works very well - but the point of this exercise is not whether the conversion is necessarily liked, but whether or not it works.
Am I understanding that the agility roll in Cortex (unlike a dodge in Cortex) does not count as one of the three actions and that it increases your difficulty to be hit against all attacks that round?
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Cowboy Hat wrote:

Am I understanding that the agility roll in Cortex (unlike a dodge in Cortex) does not count as one of the three actions and that it increases your difficulty to be hit against all attacks that round?

That's right, although as stated you can end rolling less than a 3.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then that seems roughly equivalent to a per the RAW Star Wars reaction dodge which applies all round and may actually make it easier to hit the character if the dodge roll is lower than the distance to hit roll.

Why not just use dodge as it is in the RAW and limit the characters to three actions like Cortex? Reaction dodge replaces the to hit difficult (and may make it harder or easier to hit the characters) and full dodge always makes it harder to hit the character (which, I think is like how dodge works in Cortex)? Problem solved. Smile
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Well then that seems roughly equivalent to a per the RAW Star Wars reaction dodge which applies all round and may actually make it easier to hit the character if the dodge roll is lower than the distance to hit roll.

Why not just use dodge as it is in the RAW and limit the characters to three actions like Cortex? Reaction dodge replaces the to hit difficult (and may make it harder or easier to hit the characters) and full dodge always makes it harder to hit the character (which, I think is like how dodge works in Cortex)? Problem solved. Smile

That seems fine.

The point of this thread was to convert the cortex system combat rules over, but if it works better this way then that's good.

The problem with RAW is that if you declare a dodge as an action (something you should never do) then you're going to be starting with a negative modifier on any other action you do.

You should always wait until you're attacked before you declare your dodge. I suppose though if you're not having to declare what you're doing (as suggested in the OP) for the entire round and only revealing what you're doing when you're doing it then it's not a problem.

Then again I don't think anyone does say that they're going to (for instance) take three shots, run over there and then dodge - as that would incur a 5D penalty.
Rimmer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A common cortex house rule (and one i use) is the application of MAPs to all actions not just the ones used.

Bob (Guns 8D) shoots three times, first shot rolls a D8, second shot a D6 and the third is a D4, this is RAW and encourages PCs to go for the max actions all the time.

In the house rule situation Bob would roll a D4 for all three shots, more like standard SWD6 MAPs rules.

Dodges either add a further die step penalty or replace one of the shooting actions, again, using pretty standard SWD6 MAPs rules.
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rimmer wrote:
A common cortex house rule (and one i use) is the application of MAPs to all actions not just the ones used.

Bob (Guns 8D) shoots three times, first shot rolls a D8, second shot a D6 and the third is a D4, this is RAW and encourages PCs to go for the max actions all the time.

In the house rule situation Bob would roll a D4 for all three shots, more like standard SWD6 MAPs rules.

Dodges either add a further die step penalty or replace one of the shooting actions, again, using pretty standard SWD6 MAPs rules.

I see your point but that's more of a D6 -> Cortex rather than Cortex -> D6 conversion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: