The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do you do after a Total party kill?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> What do you do after a Total party kill? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you "ROLL" after a total party kill happens
New campaign, same GM Same system
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
New campagin, new gm same system
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
New campaign, same gm, new system
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
New campaign, new gm, new system
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Make new pcs for current campaign, just set elsewhere
20%
 20%  [ 7 ]
Other (see below)
17%
 17%  [ 6 ]
we don't get no stinkin' TPKs around 'ere!
29%
 29%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 34

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: What do you do after a Total party kill? Reply with quote

Assuming for what ever reason, all the characters die. Whether they just made bad choices, played baddly (stuck to a poor plan lets say), or the fates decreed it was their time (nearly every roll went bad for them)..

What do you do next?
Start a new game?
Start a new campaign with a different gm?
Continue the current one with new pcs??
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a TPK actually. I think 50% lethality has been the maximum (and then not for SW but WFRP) at the same time. I tend to give players a brake, but not big enough for everyone to escape with their lives if they are not extremely lucky.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only TPK's I can recall are for one character parties. In that case the player just rolled up a new character and moved on, but I don't think single character TPK is really in the spirit of the question. For multiple character parties, TPK seems to me an acronym for failure of GM imagination.
Riij Skootu
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Never had a TPK actually.

Neither have I. So if it did happen, I'd definitely start/continue with a different gm. So whether the new gm
wants to start new or continue I'd be okay with as long as we had a new gm. That's my vote. Smile
laztheinfamous
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the TPKs I've had were in D&D and in situations where the PCs could have gotten themselves out of it if they had used their brains instead of their swords.

I've been involved in TPKs in Star Wars. I think that both of them happened the same way, everyone in one ship, and ship goes boom. Everyone dead. I think we all threw our pop bottles at the GM. I think after that we played some one-shots for awhile with different systems, and then eventually went back.
Mythosaur
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had a total party kill as a player or a GM. Though I have seen online games that have GM's disappear which kills the game.
Orgaloth
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been in one TPK, but it was the first game and first fire fight of the campagne. We all rolled badly and were all killed by about the 3rd round of combat. We just redid the characters and started again.

"You know, sometimes I amaze even myself."
Du Cass' Dream
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a couple TPKs in our time... what we do after really depends on the circumstances. Generally in my gaming groups there are multiple potential GMs, so we sometimes just start fresh with a whole new game... sometimes a whole new game system and setting. Sometimes we continue on with the story with new characters, if the GM has a really good story going and we're all THAT into it that we want to see it through to the end, despite the characters and some context changing. Other times, the GM continues on GMing, but in a new game.

It really depends on how everyone feels. We take a breather and discuss how satisfied we were with what had been going on and take the choice from there.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes we'll switch campaigns for a while, someone else will run a different game altogether. But when we get back to said game, very typically it's the same world (as all the characters have made some kind of impact, and players want to see that impact, even on different characters). So example, in my world-line of star wars, the PC's setup Onderon with an elite unit called the "Protectors of Onderon". While anyone was able to apply, only the Force Sensitives were selected and taught military tactics, strategies, and were literally trained in both martial aspects and force apsects.

Anyways, Players love to see the long-term effects of what their characters do, even if they're on new characters!

"Ok, the setting is 20 years later? I'm gonna play a child of my last character." (actually had two players do that with their chars)
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I was going to have one today... In the end only one character blew himself up (while thrown 60 m up in the air with TK) trying to take the enemy with him. Another character, our young girl airhead jedi, turned to the dark side and was taken by the Dark Sider they were fighting. Ah, we dont know what happened to one player who was Mortally wounded (but stabilized) and dropped 5 m over a wall. We will check if he survives at our next session when the player is around again. Finally, our other Jedi had his arm cut of and his led impaled by a lightsaber, but managed to TK himself away when no one was looking.....
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a total party kill. But I think it'd depend on the campaign I'm running as to what I'd do. If the campaign is pretty much open then I'd let the players make new characters and go from where things ended. Open meaning there may be a goal but there's no central mission so a whole new team could come in without being at a loss by not knowing what the TPK team knew. If the campaign is a mission oriented campaign then I'd probably thow it up to the players. Form a new team to follow the same mission, saying the previous team had made reports every so often with the last report having been an episode or so ago so that the new team has some idea of what was happening but anything learned since the last report they have absolutely no clue about. Or form a new team and start a whole new campaign with either the same GM or a new GM. Probably push more for a new campaign as it'd be less headache.

Wanted Poster
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: What do you do after a Total party kill? Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Assuming for what ever reason, all the characters die. Whether they just made bad choices, played baddly (stuck to a poor plan lets say), or the fates decreed it was their time (nearly every roll went bad for them)..

What do you do next?
Start a new game?
Start a new campaign with a different gm?
Continue the current one with new pcs??

I've only had one TPK, but then again it was left open-ended. Over the course of one long, epic adventure, a couple PCs and their commanding officer (An Alliance general GC) died, then the Force user crossed over to the Dark Side, then the remaining hero kills the Force user only to find himself in a dark alley facing Darth Vader... fade to black. It was a tragic end to heroic Rebel campaign. I thought it ending the way it did was more dramatic then playing out what happens next. I'd still consider this a TPK.

I chose Other in the poll. An obvious option left out was: The campaign ends and the player group disbands (the GM continues running other groups with different players). 8)
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Thought I was going to have one today... In the end only one character blew himself up (while thrown 60 m up in the air with TK) trying to take the enemy with him. Another character, our young girl airhead jedi, turned to the dark side and was taken by the Dark Sider they were fighting. Ah, we dont know what happened to one player who was Mortally wounded (but stabilized) and dropped 5 m over a wall. We will check if he survives at our next session when the player is around again. Finally, our other Jedi had his arm cut of and his led impaled by a lightsaber, but managed to TK himself away when no one was looking.....
Perhaps the Dark Sider is happy with his new recruit and ignores the surviving PCs. Since the new Dark Side recruit is an air-head - much training she will need. Start now he must. Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Perhaps the Dark Sider is happy with his new recruit and ignores the surviving PCs. Since the new Dark Side recruit is an air-head - much training she will need. Start now he must. Laughing

You never know what happens when Random is involved..

Actually we have a precedent. In a AD&D campaign ages ago Random played a Wizard called Samandi Sheol. In a Forgotten Realms campaign the party was looking for the Wand of Orcus in Hellgate keep. Samandi was left behind when the party cleric used a Word of Recall scroll to teleport out of there after the s**t hit the fan so to speak. Coincidentally a chest of treasure somehow managed to get teleported with the rest of the party (minus Samandi). To be honest, Samandi had been forced to use the Wand to summon help in the fight against the denizens of Hellgate Keep. Using the wand had made Samandi sprout horns, a hoof and a tail. This might have influenced the clerics choice of travelling partners. Samandi was presumed dead or imprisoned in hellgate keep.

Randoms next character was actually Samandi in disguise who had made a pact with the rules of Hellgate to spare his life. He returned in disguise with the mission to kill the rest of the party as revenge for attacking Hellgate Keep. This was actually kept up for many sessions with 'Samandi' secretly working against the party and trying to set up their death. It was great fun...and when Samandi finally revealed himself no one had a clue.. Laughing
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

You never know what happens when Random is involved..

Actually we have a precedent. In a AD&D campaign ages ago Random played a Wizard called Samandi Sheol. In a Forgotten Realms campaign the party was looking for the Wand of Orcus in Hellgate keep. Samandi was left behind when the party cleric used a Word of Recall scroll to teleport out of there after the s**t hit the fan so to speak. Coincidentally a chest of treasure somehow managed to get teleported with the rest of the party (minus Samandi). To be honest, Samandi had been forced to use the Wand to summon help in the fight against the denizens of Hellgate Keep. Using the wand had made Samandi sprout horns, a hoof and a tail. This might have influenced the clerics choice of travelling partners. Samandi was presumed dead or imprisoned in hellgate keep.

Randoms next character was actually Samandi in disguise who had made a pact with the rules of Hellgate to spare his life. He returned in disguise with the mission to kill the rest of the party as revenge for attacking Hellgate Keep. This was actually kept up for many sessions with 'Samandi' secretly working against the party and trying to set up their death. It was great fun...and when Samandi finally revealed himself no one had a clue.. Laughing

Aaaaah the good old days with Samandhi Sheol! Muuuaaahahahaha power unlimited!!!! I still can't understand how the cleric survived all my murder attempts. It was so funny how the party never picked up on all the hints of who the new character really was. The weird limp from the one cloven foot, the fact that he clearly was necromancer/demonologist and that everything went wrong all the time and that demons kept popping up to attack the party.

It's just touching how much my friends trusted me back before that plot was revealed. Now... not so much Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: