The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Binding issues and repair
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Binding issues and repair Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cowboy Hat wrote:
Right, where did I put the blue tak and pva glue...
*kiddin'* Razz
Oh, was that what was sitting on your chair. Shocked
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Cowboy Hat wrote:
Right, where did I put the blue tak and pva glue...
*kiddin'* Razz
Oh, was that what was sitting on your chair. Shocked

Razz
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Cowboy Hat wrote:
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm UK based, which sucks for both meeting up and because repairs cost a lot here, as well as the books being expensive AND are like gold dust... the last on here I saw sell for 35 pounds - around 40 bux?
$57.27 at today's exchange rate.

Meh, just found that the cheapest I can get the hinge replacement is this price too.

I'm hoping the next book I've ordered through ebay is going to come in a good condition...
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I didn't know I had such a marketable skill. Maybe I should offer to do RPG book repair at my FLGS. Smile
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Wow. I didn't know I had such a marketable skill. Maybe I should offer to do RPG book repair at my FLGS. Smile
I would think it is marketable in the right circumstances. Overseas shipping may make it difficult for you to capitalize on the UK market. If you do ship, insure. When I came over to the UK I had my 4th edition CoC hardback rules shipped and on the way over it was majorly crunched. Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad
Cowboy Hat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
cheshire wrote:
I would think it is marketable in the right circumstances. Overseas shipping may make it difficult for you to capitalize on the UK market. If you do ship, insure. When I came over to the UK I had my 4th edition CoC hardback rules shipped and on the way over it was majorly crunched. Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad Mad Crying or Very sad

ow nasty

Cheshire, everything book related, printing and paper etc seems so expensive over here.

So it's seems it's about 35-45 pounds for simple* book repairs, someone was trying to convince me to pay £60 and have the cover removed and replaced with a new gold leaf one. Even after I'd sent several photos and links to what the book was.

As far as I can see there's only Staples as a chain store for printing large quantities and binding (there are private companies but even more expensive) and you're looking at 30-40 pounds to print and bind a pdf. It's why my copy of Ghost of Albion (cinematic unisystem, only released as a pdf at near 300 pages) is sat on my computer unplayed.

New books have about a 20% mark up price than they do in the US, because of this I find that there's about this or more on used books too. I've seen most Star Wars 2nd Ed R&E for example go on ebay for £25-£35 pounds. In the US it mostly works out about £15 but then there's another £15-(and yeah I've seen it as)£45 in shipping. (it could ship for £7.50 but most people decide to add on to the cost whenever possible, I've had people charge me £20 shipping for two books in the UK and then wrap them in brown paper. Just brown paper. /rant).

I think, as much as I'd hate to admit it I'm waiting on good cheap tablet computers which excel in reading PDF's and print on demand for other lines of books (looking forward to drivethrurpg getting the White Wolf back catalogue up and running, fed up of people putting Demon: the Fallen on for £45+ (with shipping).

Of course, that doesn't help me with old licenced products such as Star Wars where you can't get a legal pdf to put on your tablet (and if someone chooses to rip it off and scan it it's going to look rubbish anyway, so more fool them) and they wont be on a Print on Demand due to the obvious licence restrictions.

That was a little bit of an incoherent rant....

I mean, "move to the uk Cheshire, you'll make a killing in book repair!"

* as opposed to other book restoration, it's not like it's easy or we'd do it with some crazy glue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: