The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

SpecForce Support Detachment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> SpecForce Support Detachment Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Uh, the ones I mentioned are all used by Alliance SpecForce troopers.

And that seems to be the direction I'm leaning. Either the Kappa or the Aegis would be suitable fits for the transportation requirements.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BR-23 and the Kappa appear to be very close stat-wise. The Kappa is the larger (and likely more expensive) ship, being slightly better armed in the forward arc (with 2 speeder scale cannons) and able to carry 10 tons more cargo. The BR-23 is slightly more durable, according to the stats I can find, but the Kappa is twice as fast and can run twice as long. If price is enough of an issue to prevent additional turret mounts, I would go for the BR-23, with a walker blaster and a vehicle blaster mounted on the same turret. That should free up some power for a more powerful gun on the other turret, providing some defensive fire capability. Among other advantages, a BR-23 is a common civilian craft, and less liable to draw attention than the military Kappa-class shuttle. SpecOps troops would probably tell you this is a very good thing.

Complete Starship Construction System
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually SpaceOps is more likely to go for the Katarn-class boarding shuttle. It can garry fifty passengers, but only 500 kilograms of cargo.

Wanted Poster
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention, converting passenger space to additional cargo is very easy to do, and inexpensive.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Actually SpaceOps is more likely to go for the Katarn-class boarding shuttle. It can garry fifty passengers, but only 500 kilograms of cargo.

The stats I'm looking at list it as 55,000 credits used, only armed with a single forward firing double laser cannon, and not hyperdrive equipped. It would need a capital ship for support, or extensive modification to install a hyperdrive... It's very good as a boarding craft, but I'm not convinced it would work so well as a general purpose insertion vehicle/support gunship.

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page 48 of Rules of Engagement

Quote:
Katarn-class Boarding Shuttle

Rendili StarDrive's Katarn-class boarding shuttle is intended to quickly move troops to boarding actions. The Imperial Navy uses the Katarn to move Naval troopers quickly into boarding action, as dor Alliance SpaceOps troops.

The Katarn is designed as a boarding shuttle and features a nose-end boarding airlock. The ship rams a prize, seals the airlock to it's hull, and launches a boarding party through the hull in as little as two minutes

And look at the stats, 10,000 new and 55,000 used. Now either there was a mistake and new is supposed to be 100,000 (or New and Used are reversed) or the ship becomes more expensive as it gets used for some reason. Also the description on the BR-23 says the Alliance occasionally resorts to buying them, in other words they more steal them when they can find them. What's the likelihood the same thing happens here.

It's got a Space rating of 8, Atmosphere of 365; 1050 kmh, Hull of 5D, Shield of 2D, Manuverability of 1D+2. By contrast the BR-23 has a Space rating of 5, Atmosphere of 295; 850, Null of 3D+2, shield of 1D+2, and Manuverability of 1D. The Katarn-class is faster, can take more of a beating, and is slightly more manuverable. The things the BR-23 has going for it is it can hold more cargo, is equipped with a hyperdrive, and it's only weapon is turreted. And that is less powerful than the Katarn's weapon. You'll have to do more modding to make it a good boarding ship than you would to the Katarn-class shuttle.

However, if you look at my original post on the first page I did not suggest the Katarn as a general purpose insertion vehicle. It would, however, be the greater choice for those troopers stationed aboard ship most of the time whose primary duties are boarding actions and spaceport landing assaults. That is theSpaceOps troopers. As it is armed with a boarding torch they don't have to wait for it to be modded for boarding operations. And it's speed means getting planet side quickly.

Wanted Poster
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellcat wrote:
Page 48 of Rules of Engagement

Quote:
Katarn-class Boarding Shuttle

Rendili StarDrive's Katarn-class boarding shuttle is intended to quickly move troops to boarding actions. The Imperial Navy uses the Katarn to move Naval troopers quickly into boarding action, as dor Alliance SpaceOps troops.

The Katarn is designed as a boarding shuttle and features a nose-end boarding airlock. The ship rams a prize, seals the airlock to it's hull, and launches a boarding party through the hull in as little as two minutes

And look at the stats, 10,000 new and 55,000 used. Now either there was a mistake and new is supposed to be 100,000 (or New and Used are reversed) or the ship becomes more expensive as it gets used for some reason. Also the description on the BR-23 says the Alliance occasionally resorts to buying them, in other words they more steal them when they can find them. What's the likelihood the same thing happens here.

It's got a Space rating of 8, Atmosphere of 365; 1050 kmh, Hull of 5D, Shield of 2D, Manuverability of 1D+2. By contrast the BR-23 has a Space rating of 5, Atmosphere of 295; 850, Null of 3D+2, shield of 1D+2, and Manuverability of 1D. The Katarn-class is faster, can take more of a beating, and is slightly more manuverable. The things the BR-23 has going for it is it can hold more cargo, is equipped with a hyperdrive, and it's only weapon is turreted. And that is less powerful than the Katarn's weapon. You'll have to do more modding to make it a good boarding ship than you would to the Katarn-class shuttle.

However, if you look at my original post on the first page I did not suggest the Katarn as a general purpose insertion vehicle. It would, however, be the greater choice for those troopers stationed aboard ship most of the time whose primary duties are boarding actions and spaceport landing assaults. That is theSpaceOps troopers. As it is armed with a boarding torch they don't have to wait for it to be modded for boarding operations. And it's speed means getting planet side quickly.

Well, the BR-23 has two turrets in every source I can find, but that's mainly beside the point. I think we actually agree: The BR-23 is better for a land force, while the Katarn-class is better for boarding operations. I just didn't see anyone talking about boarding craft beforehand, so it looked to me like you were trying to fill the original requirements of an insertion craft with an excellent, but highly specialized boarding craft. I'm not trying to be cantankerous or anything, I just didn't know what you were talking about.

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, wasn't saying the Katarn-class was the best all purpose craft. The Kappa-class and Ageis-class are much better as they have more cargo room. But with the Ageis-class you actually would have to loose cargo space to gain enough space for a platoon. It's stats only list a total of 6 passengers, but it's writeup does say it can carry a possible 40 troops. Though if your talking large scale insertion bet is the the Kleeque-class at 1,000 passengers and 5,000 meteric tons. That's about a regiment's worth though and most SpecForce missions use a taskforce that is a platoon to a company in size. Though it may be a regiment in size. So something with a smaller passenger capacity. And depending on the size of the squads in a platoon, you could insert two platoons worth with the BR-23, the Kappa-class, or the Aegis-class (cargo space sacrificed for troops)

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What of a good old standby, the L19?
Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd first need to be modded in terms of passenger space. Pretty good in terms of speed, comparable to the Ageis-class in terms of it's space and atosphere rating. Gonna take a pounding with it's 6D hull and 1D shields, though not as much as the Ageis-class (comparable hull rating but the Ageis beats it out shield wise at 2D). Manuverability it's equal to both the Kappa-class and Ageis-class. Both the Kappa and the Ageis boast more weaponry, but with a turret that does 5D damage it's certainly able to defend itself. The Kappa beats it out in terms of both the hyperdrive and the hyperdrive backup. Cost has to go to the L19, the Kappa isn't generally for sale and the Ageis apparently can only be purchased used at a seven thousand shy of twice the cost of a used L19. Again, though, the description of the BR-23 suggests the Alliance probably buys few of it's insertion ships so cost shouldn't matter as much. It's got far more cargo space than either the Kappa or the Ageis. Passengers, though, is it's big loosing point, unmodded it can't carry a platoon's worth. It can carry four more than the Ageis can, but the description on the Ageis-class suggests it's set up to have cargo space replaced by passenger seating without having to do any modding. The L-19 would have to loose some of it's cargo space. Description on the Kappa-class says it can carry up to twice as many troops if cargo space is sacrificed or up to twice it's cargo capacity if passenger seating is sacrificed. As this is 40 passengers and 50 meteric tons, I'd say the L19 would have to loose forty meteric tons to bring it even with the Kappa passenger wise. Which is much better than what the Ageis-class would have to loose, it's atleast still be over 100 meteric tons after the modding. The Kappa-class does beat it out on consumables, though.

Wanted Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: