The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

SpecForce Support Detachment
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> SpecForce Support Detachment Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: SpecForce Support Detachment Reply with quote

So, this is something I've been thinking about for a while. I want to design a pair of freighters for the Alliance that are designed to support critical Alliance SpecForce operations, offering transportation, fire support and real-time communication. I want to make two separate ships, based on three different real-life models from the US Air Force: the MC-130 Combat Talon, the AC-130 Specter Gunship, and the MH-53 Pave Low Special Operations helicopter.

The MC-130 Combat Talon SW equivalent is already figured out. I want to use a converted YT-1300 that is equipped to provide in-flight replenishment and communications support for the other ship. The main feature will be a combined subspace / hypercomm array, modified with a variety of LPI (Low Probability of Intercept) features, including frequency agility and tight-beam transmission. The ship will park somewhere outside of the target solar system and keep in contact with the ground team and combat transport via the subspace radio. It will also keep Alliance Command in the loop in real time via the hypercomm, and can also be used for supply and personnel transport.

The second ship will be a combination of the AC-130 and the MH-53, and I'm drawing a blank on what ship to use. I'm looking for something with enough cargo space (and a big enough door) to transport 1-2 Speeder-scale light combat vehicles or around 20-30 SpecForce troopers (or a mix of the two) and be able to mount enough weaponry to offer credible fire support to the SpecForce team at critical moments. I can't think of a vessel in the current SWU roster that would be a good fit. Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider a modified Incom Y-4 Raptor transport. Wookieepedia reports:
Quote:
The Y-4 was capable of transporting 40 troops and 300 metric tons of equipment, which was rapidly unloaded by three separate folding assault ramps on the port side.
They mounted two fire-linked laser cannons, a double laser turret, and at least one concussion missile launcher. They also came in a civilian version which was slower, less armored and unarmed.

I would personally build it off of the civilian model, reduce cargo capacity, add a walker-scale twin laser canon (your Bofors 40mm), an AT-AT cannon equivalent (your 105 howitzer) and either a vehicle blaster or a pair of mounted E-webs for antipersonnel use.

Complete Starship Construction System
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the HT-2200..
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT-2200 came to my mind first too. And you could use the ghtroc 720 for smaller specforce teams. It has 2 cargoholds: one for the weapons and one for the speeders. And it can carry 10 passengers. Just take 2 ghtroc and 2 ships offer some redundancy.
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mobquet Medium Cargo Hauler would be a good choice, as well. Lots of cargo space, sturdy hull (so it can take a beating in a combat zone).

It's a little slow, but can be easily modified.

Just like the AC-130, I could totally see the ship with a mix of weapons mounted on the side.

Heavy Repeating Blaster (20mm Cannon)
Speeder Scale Vehicle Blasters (40mm Cannon)
Walker Scale Blaster (105mm Howitzer)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important thing to remember about the AC-130 is that they mounted the weapons on the side because the ship can't hover. For something that combines the heavy weaponry of the AC-130 with the hovering ability of the MH-54 Pave Low, weapons could easily be turret mounted and angled to fire in whatever direction needed, especially while the transport is on the ground loading or unloading its passengers.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but the side firing also allowed it to 'rotate around' a point to continue to pound the area while itself avoiding fire.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
True, but the side firing also allowed it to 'rotate around' a point to continue to pound the area while itself avoiding fire.

SW D6 scale rules takes care of the need for avoiding fire (from the ground)... Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other aspect to consider is that, when combining the traits of the AC-130 and the MH-53, you need to have weapons that provide all around coverage, like the mini-guns on the MH-53. The best combination for that would be turreted weapons that can swivel to either side and fire at a fixed point while the transport is in a pylon turn around the target, and can also rotate for point targeting while the vessel is hovering or landing for insertions and extractions.

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Kappa-class Troop Shuttle, can carry 40 troops and 50 meteric tons of cargo. It's able to carry up to 80 troopers if cargo space is sacrificed or a 100 meteric tons if passnger seats are removed.

Or maybe the Aegis-class combat shuttle. It normally can carry only six passengers and 120 meteric tons of cargo, but it can be configured for up to 40 troops.

Maybe the BR-23 Courier personnel transport. Room for 40 troops and 40 meteric tons of cargo.

The Kleeque-class transport might work for you. It's rather massive though, 1,000 passengers and 5,000 meteric tons of cargo.

Wanted Poster
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could have a claimed a Sienar Fleet Systems IF-120 Landing Craft. It's in the Galaxy at war conversion page 15.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
The other aspect to consider is that, when combining the traits of the AC-130 and the MH-53, you need to have weapons that provide all around coverage, like the mini-guns on the MH-53. The best combination for that would be turreted weapons that can swivel to either side and fire at a fixed point while the transport is in a pylon turn around the target, and can also rotate for point targeting while the vessel is hovering or landing for insertions and extractions.

I think your weapon mounts could be customized. I doubt that you're going to find anything with appropriate armament already installed, especially available to the rebellion. (If they have ready made specter gunships in Star Wars, no one told me!) Also, with a repulsorlift, you can be flexible about where they're mounted. A C-130 needs to be moving forwards to fly, but a standard space transport could make that pylon turn moving laterally and facing inward towards the center, so even without side-mounted weapons, you could get the proper effect. I would guess your pilot would end up flying it like a cobra attack helicopter.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a key issue for an Alliance ship is that modifications need to be kept to a minimum for economic reasons. A ship with turreted weapons or multi-arc weapons stock would be preferable to a ship which has to be custom modified for them.

Hellcat
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, the ones I mentioned are all used by Alliance SpecForce troopers.

Wanted Poster
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all these mods, what would the 'availability' code be? X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: