The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Uniform Frame of Reference
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Uniform Frame of Reference Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
So, in essence, nothing to do with Star Wars has relevance in the game unless you or I believe it has relevance, and that relevance is relative, depending on who is the one who believes in the relevance, and any discussion on this forum can be brought to a screeching halt if someone utters the words "Well, that's not how it works in my universe" or "Well, I don't believe that story actually happened"...

The increasingly contradictory Star Wars cannon does this to some degree. When you can't get all the authors to remain internally consistent, expecting a bunch of gamers to do so is probably asking a bit much. Just try to make the backstory that's in the Thrawn novels fit with the prequel trilogy. Unless you're on some pretty powerful drugs, that just ain't gonna happen. If you do manage to make it happen, move on to Darksaber.

However, I understand how you feel, because everything in the end defers to the opinion of Uncle George. You'd like there to be a singular black and white reference point. I understand your perspective, though I do not share it. After all, we're talking about a fictional world in which we choose to recreate. If we were talking about legislation or bioethics, I'd be more concerned about finding a common reference.

Quote:

How absurdly existential.

The bar for absurdity is already set pretty low when we have a little rubber puppet moving a space ship with his mind. Smile

Quote:

And for those of you who think I should up and leave for expressing an unpopular opinion (even one born out of a passing fit of frustration), it seems rather hypocritical of you to tell me that this is a forum where any opinion may be held and respected, then suggest that I leave for doing what you just told me I was allowed to do.

I don't think you should leave. I don't think you should stop posting opinions. I think it is great for you to say, "I would really like it if we all had a standard point of reference and we all accepted C cannon" or "E cannon" or whatever letters Lucasfilm is currently using. It's okay to like that. I think that people will begin to resent it if we feel like we being pressed to accept that perspective by an outside influence.

Since this is all based off of our own entertainment, we more or less determine what is "really Star Wars" to us by what we find entertaining. To try to get others to accept various parts of novels as "the real Star Wars" is like trying to dictate what one finds entertaining. In the end, it will just feel to them like someone else is trying to impose "my Star Wars" on them.

In the end, this board is not about determining "who is right" unless we ask about the RAW (as that is a set objective standard). All else is free exchange of ideas, not a debate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: