The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Screenname Origins
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Screenname Origins Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Screenname Origins Reply with quote

My screenname is pretty straight forward; my first two initials and my last name. Not much of a story there.

However, sometimes I wonder what the story is behind some of the screennames on the forum. I've shared mine, and there isn't much to tell, but if there is a story behind yours, I'd like to hear it.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No big story. Bren is short for Brentarrion Fairchilde - my favorite Star Wars PC. He looks a bit like the my screen image, but with yellow eyes and an antique green-bladed baroque-style lightsaber.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar was a character that I only got to play once or twice, who eventually became the target for a pair of bounty hunters I ran for as a GM.

See the post with story here.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few friends called me J-man in high school. I needed a screen name years back. Seemed almost every variation of Jman was taken, so, in a fit of rage, I typed Jmanski and accidentally hit enter. Now I use it on forums.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Lucas wrote:
Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else (an immortal being known as a Whill); there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concepts behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the Journal of the Whills.
Journal of the Whills, 3:12
Quote:
And in the time of greatest despair there shall come a savior and he shall be known as: THE SON OF THE SUNS.

The Whills almost made it into the final version of Ep III, but they remain in the screenplay and the novelization. Near the end of the film, the ghost of Qui-Gon tells Yoda that he learned the power of becoming of a force Ghost from the "Shaman of the Whills". My Star Wars Universe does include the Whills and my next campaign will go into more detail about these mysterious mythological energy beings worshipped as deities by some.

In real life I go by the name of Will, so the alternate spelling of "Whill" just seemed to be an appropriate username for me on Star Wars RPG sites. I also go by the same username on D6 Online.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyler Masters was my favorite PC in SWD6. He was the first Jedi character I ever created. That was over 20 years ago.

To this day, whenever I go back home and hook up with my friends from that time frame, there is always the possibility of dusting off the old characters and running through a game. I've kept in touch over the years, and heard about games they were playing. A few more guys joined the group after I moved away and joined the Army, and when I went back the first time they told me how they'd continued on with our characters, running through more and more advanced, higher-level campaigns.

Ah...those were the days!
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaaaay back when in 1994 when the internet was young, bulletin boards were all text (with color if they were fancy) and the 96K modem was new and shiny, I got introduced to a YAWC style BBS named Cactus. They asked for a username and since my friends would comment on my large grin, I would often have myself likened to the Cheshire Cat from Lewis Carroll's work. So, I just picked cheshire. Truth be told, I also liked the character's fun and mischievous nature.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaphod from my first SW character. Yes, original I know, but it was waay back... Laughing
As Zaphod tends to be taken, I started using ZzaphodD for 'sci fi' and tech forums. For fantasy forums Im Lord of the Pit from one of my favourite MtG games from back in the days...
BSDOblivion
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BSDOblivion

all starts with the games from white wolf and the black spiral dancer. this in a live action game was then renamed as Big Stinky Dog. this name struck and i ran with it. this was then shortened to the BSD just as most black spiral dancers are called. and then added with the number 9 or 999 to pay homage to the correct sign of the devil stories. also explained as follows.
the number 666 came to the man as a dream as the sign of the devil or devil spawn. since in dreams most text is either blank or reversed it would lead that the number was not supposed to be the 6 but the 9 instead. so adopted the 999 at the end of the BSD.
this was found as multiple screen names and ended up being popular due to the Blue Screen o Death in the computer world.
the 999 was then transformed to the Oblivion as being, in my eyes, more scary than hell itself.
long road on that now that i look at it. and i am listing only the high points
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Zaphod from my first SW character. Yes, original I know, but it was waay back... Laughing
As Zaphod tends to be taken, I started using ZzaphodD for 'sci fi' and tech forums. For fantasy forums Im Lord of the Pit from one of my favourite MtG games from back in the days...

You can't only say that without mentioning the Douglas Adams character Zaphod Beeblebrox. Not everyone may know what the original source of that character name was. This is a good opportunity to promote the excellent novel from which the character came, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in case anyone reading this thread hasn't read that book.

DON'T PANIC
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

You can't only say that without mentioning the Douglas Adams character Zaphod Beeblebrox. Not everyone may know what the original source of that character name was. This is a good opportunity to promote the excellent novel from which the character came, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in case anyone reading this thread hasn't read that book.

DON'T PANIC

And since it was a BBC radio drama first, I'll put a plug in for that for anyone who has read the book. It's fantastic in its dramatized form.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back before i even found this site, i was heavily into Whitewolf games such as Vampire and Werewolf (even did a bit of street fighter).
Often when i Gmed, especially for werewolf, i had an NPC Gurhal )Were bear) named Garhkal who would help out with healing and mentoring, but little else. One of my player characters was even a student of his, trying to reunite all the types of Fera into one unified front to combat the Wyrm.

Over time, many of my players got to calling me Garhkal vice my real name, so a lot of sites i have stuck to using it as my moniker.. There are only 2 sites that i don't use it.. SWRPGNETWORK's holonet, as i actually joined it up while i was getting that character up and running (where i go by Wolverine), and Redbox where i go by LT USER.
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savar Wallk was the name of my first major 2nd ed AD&D char. Played him for over ten years.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel Morba was my original SWRPG Bounty Hunter, started way back when all we had was 1st Ed.

Our group consisted of a Wookiee, a Smuggler (hey, we needed a ship!), a Minor Jedi (who was afraid to use his lightsaber due to the high difficulty), the Bounty Hunter, and a Retired Imperial Captain. That was our core group for about four years. Along the way we added a Kid (who was lethal with a sling), another Wookiee, and a Tough Native (who would punch enemies in the mouth and collect their fallen teeth).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun group.. 2 wookies and an ex imp captain.. The arguments those would get up to would imo be hilarious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: