The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Cylon Raider Knockoff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Cylon Raider Knockoff Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Cylon Raider Knockoff Reply with quote

I've always wanted to make a starship with a hull like the Cylon Raider, but instead of a starfighter I wanted it to be more like a space transport, so here is what I came up with

Cylon Raider Knockoff
Craft:
Type: Light scout/patrol ship
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 35 meters
Skill: Space Transports:
Crew: 1, Passengers: 4, Prisoners: 2
Crew Skill: Varies
Cargo Capacity: 45 tonnes
Consumables: 1 month
Cost:
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Hyperdrive Backup: x5
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D
Space: 8
Hull: 3D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive: 25/0D
Scan: 35/1D
Search: 50/2D+1
Focus: 3/3D
Weapons:
2 Heavy Blaster Cannons (Fire linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-5/10/17
Atmosphere Range: 100-500m/1/1.7 km
Damage: 6D
Concussion Missile Launcher
Ammo: 10
Fire Control: 3D+2
Space Range: 1-3/7/12
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/700/1.2 km
Damage: 8D
Proton Torpedo Launcher
Ammo: 4
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1/3/7
Atmosphere Range: 100/300/700 m
Damage: 9D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it is based loosely on the Raider, as in the way it looks and not the size. Cool concept (I like the way they look, both old and new versions).

But what is the purpose exactly? If I knew that I could give you better feedback.

From what I see, I think it's too fast, too maneuverable, and too heavily armed (but that's just me).
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I assume it is based loosely on the Raider, as in the way it looks and not the size. Cool concept (I like the way they look, both old and new versions).

But what is the purpose exactly? If I knew that I could give you better feedback.

From what I see, I think it's too fast, too maneuverable, and too heavily armed (but that's just me).

for the idea yes its based only on how the ship looks, and is not at all meant to be like the starfighter from the series. My idea is for an Engineer/mechanic turned bounty hunter who built the ship from scratch using his life savings. He built it to be a combat ship, meant to take on ships of criminals.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a better idea of what you are going for, but I think it's still overpowered. If it's going to be 35m long and carry 45 tons of cargo it needs to be slower and less maneuverable. I also don't like proton/concussion missile launchers on civilian ships. Look at it this way- it is basically 3d Hull from being the Millenium Falcon...

I'm not trying to be harsh, I just think it's too much.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Do away with the launcher, knock the speed down to 4 or 5, and man down to 1, and it would be good.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3D vs 6D hull is a big difference.

However I do wonder why the ship has such large cargo capacity. It doesn't seem necessary for the mission profile. I'd either drop the cargo way, way down and/or lower the speed. Maybe 10 tons cargo and speed 7?

I also agree that both concussion missiles and proton torpedoes is way overkill and sounds like a ship designed to destroy ground installations not shoot down starfighters. I would think an ion cannon would be more useful in apprehending bounties. Maybe change out the launchers for an ion cannon?
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of less cargo - this is basically my very first ship design, so I have no idea what I'm doing Smile

so I will knock down the cargo to 10 or 15 tonnes, and lower the speed to 7 - I could do away with the proton laucher, but I think I would like to keep the concussion launcher, just for those special occations.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than keep the concussion missile launcher, make it a Ion missile launcher (empions), so they stop enemies rather than blow them up.
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Rather than keep the concussion missile launcher, make it a Ion missile launcher (empions), so they stop enemies rather than blow them up.

that would definately work - but where do I find the stats for it - it's not in any of my books
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It actually doesn't exist outside of the X-Wing novels, but the quick fix would be to simply add the notation (ionization) after the damage dice in the weapon description.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
And specialty ion ordinance would make it more like Jango Fett's ship which is the only vehicle we see use seismic charges.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
garhkal wrote:
And specialty ion ordinance would make it more like Jango Fett's ship which is the only vehicle we see use seismic charges.

I've always felt that seismic charges were a good potential representation of how concussion missiles work in space, by delivering kinetic energy, along the lines of a repulsorlift or some other gravity pulse device. Any sort of shock wave (as the name concussion implies) is useless without a medium to transmit through (air, water or solid), and in space, IIRC, an explosion lacking a medium (as would be the case in a vacuum) to transmit its energy through converts said energy into an electromagnetic pulse. If you wanted an area effect weapon that imparted kinetic damage to a target, you would need a weapon that could deliver that energy regardless of the absence of a transmittable medium. This is a visible effect in E2 when the seismic charge detonates as a scythe of visible energy shatters every solid object in its path.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
garhkal wrote:

that would definately work - but where do I find the stats for it - it's not in any of my books

Quick write up...

Empion missiles.
These experiemental warheads are used by a lot of bounty hunters to help disable their prey.
They use a standard concussion missile launcher, but have a further range.
When they detonate they shower a blast radius with ion/emp energy potentially shutting all things in the zone down.
If on launching, the shooter rolls a 1 on the wild, it launches as a dud. BUT if he rolls at least half the dice as being 1s, the missile goes boom in the launcher.
Range in space is 1-3/8/16
Atmospheric 200-600m/1.6km/3.2km
Blast radius is 1/2/3
Atmospheric B.R is 60/120/180m.
Damage is 5d+2/4d+2/3d+2
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quick write up...

Empion missiles.
These experiemental warheads are used by a lot of bounty hunters to help disable their prey.
They use a standard concussion missile launcher, but have a further range.
When they detonate they shower a blast radius with ion/emp energy potentially shutting all things in the zone down.
If on launching, the shooter rolls a 1 on the wild, it launches as a dud. BUT if he rolls at least half the dice as being 1s, the missile goes boom in the launcher.
Range in space is 1-3/8/16
Atmospheric 200-600m/1.6km/3.2km
Blast radius is 1/2/3
Atmospheric B.R is 60/120/180m.
Damage is 5d+2/4d+2/3d+2

So the blast radius is in space units for space and meters for atmosphere?
The radius of effect seems very large compared to most weapons. I guess you are looking at this like a real world EMP effect. I would think that Star Wars systems would be hardened to the point that the radius of effect would be much smaller, i.e. you actually have to more or less hit the target. If you keep the large radius of effect, is there a bonus to chance to hit?

I assume you did notice that for short range in space the shooter is also in the effect radius. Shocked That's kind of interesting.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence the "Experimental"!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: