The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Character Limits
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Character Limits Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Character Limits Reply with quote

ok what I'm going for here is this. Do you limit your players characters in any way ? An example I remember from the 2nd edition book was something along the lines of "I dont care if the race is allowed 7D strenght, I'm not allowing your character to have that high strenght"

One of the reasons I'm asking is because if the question about Rules for High-Level Characters. Personally I have no problem telling a player that he can't add any more CP's to a certain skill or ability, even (or maybe especially) including force skills if I feel it will unbalance the game, and make the game less enjoyable for the other players. I usually try to keep skill levels around 7-8D max, as I feel that skill level is more than enough to make any character exeptional. As for Abilities I've never come across a player maxing out all his scores, but if someone wanted to do that I would again tell him no, noone is ever the best he/she can be in every single field Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the limited number of CPs seems to be a perfectly reasonable limiting factor. Players can disperse them to their characters however they want, but they must then pay the consequences if they encounter situations their character isn't prepared for. It works that way in the real world, too; that's how you get computer geeks who have massive skill in computer operations, yet no social skills worth speaking of.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real limiter i have used was 9d is what you can cap out at without having more than just CP to spend.. to take it beyond that, you need a lot more time/training.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only limits I've imposed have related to character creation, and sometimes requiring in-game reasons why a skill (or attribute) would be raised. If there is justification, it's all good. I'm also not super free with CP rewards, sticking to more classic conservative pay outs as outlined in the book. It takes a LONG time to get to excessive skill levels if CPs are handed out in a trickle rather than a flood, and it works quite nicely.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont remember such a line from the 2nd ed rev rulebook.

I allow my Players to spend CPs as they wish. If my games are such that min/maxing is a viable option than that is really my problem.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

I allow my Players to spend CPs as they wish. If my games are such that min/maxing is a viable option than that is really my problem.

IMO, it is reasonable to assume that training time would go up at higher skill levels. Maybe the rule of thumb for training time should be changed to a sliding scale where training times in days is equal to the CP cost required to raise the skill by 1 pip.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

IMO, it is reasonable to assume that training time would go up at higher skill levels. Maybe the rule of thumb for training time should be changed to a sliding scale where training times in days is equal to the CP cost required to raise the skill by 1 pip.

Dunno, I dont know the official rule. Never used training times to beging with so I cant really say. Ive always assumed that training time is connected to the die code though.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. It's simpler just to assume that training time takes "as long as it takes" and simply say that it occurs between missions.

It'd be interesting if there were rules for allowing characters to "level up" mid-mission, where CPs were granted for actions as they occurred, and the character experienced that "moment of revelation" that increased their skill level.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most games i have played in, as long as you use the skill you raise, you are considered to have trained it. Otherwise training as been as normal (usually done off camera, IF there is time between missions)..
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate training times. They just screw with your character advancement and are seldom realistic anyway. Training times are for special plot skills, that you don't want the players to learn instantly just to pass a problem. That said I'm not against instantly raising you dodge skill to avoid that killing headshot from an E-web.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raising skills should be done in between adventures, and the CP to raise them should be the limiting factor in going to high (that and the fact that other skills are being neglected)
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allow players to use CPs whenever they want for their characters... We seldom have any 'between-time' as the adventures usally tie into eachother.
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

It was not the revised book I was referring to Smile it was the one called: The Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Second Edition (1992) ISBN 0-874-31181-0

and while I cant seem to find my copy at the moment I an fairly sure it is in there Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Glowie
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
I hate training times. They just screw with your character advancement and are seldom realistic anyway.

jmanski wrote:
raising skills should be done in between adventures, and the CP to raise them should be the limiting factor in going to high (that and the fact that other skills are being neglected)

Yes. Leveling in this game is already lackluster compared to other RPGs in that you aren't really getting any new skills or abilities (unless you're a Force user), so it's always seemed weird to me that non-Force users should get bogged down in training times. And if a player pours all their points into one or two skills, just consistently throw things at them that require the use of other skills and they'll most likely diversify. If not, then they'll keep sucking at important parts of the game, and that's fine in my book.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Throw in obstacles to climb over, people to con, languages to speak, etc. A character should have strengths and weaknesses, but he should be trying to improve his weaknesses and not relying on his strengths.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: