The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Several Force Skills in one roll
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Several Force Skills in one roll Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What of the other ones.. Injure kill. Bolt of hatred. Force storm..
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
• Injure/Kill - since you have to touch the opponent to use injure/kill it already has a built in limitation so I'd be OK either way. Using the delayed over-time damage would make it would work similar to the pull-out-the-heart attack we see by the Priest of Kali in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
• Bolt of Hatred - never used it. Don't really like the loss of CP effect. Too much like D&D life drain for my taste. But as the damage is fixed at 6D and presumably the bolt can be dodged, it's less of a problem than for unmaximized, undodgeable powers. Also as it is a thrown object it doesn't make as much sense for it to be treated like a power that is kept up. I would use immediate effect for this (but drop the CP drain).
• Force Storm - wow, talk about overpowered. Shocked Rolling Eyes Shocked Ummm, what I meant to say was, I've never used this power either. Wink If I were to allow the power, I would make the damage delayed over time, but given that the damage is in capital scale, it seems like it should have the potential to work faster than something like force lightning. Possibly start with 1D capital damage the first round and add 1D thereafter.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Personally, I'm not so worried about Powers that we haven't seen used on screen. My complaint isn't a game balance thing, but a desire to make the RPG play more like the films and TV series (the current Clone Wars series, I don't care if the RPG doesn't match the earily series).

Now if Dooku or Palpy star flash frying people dead with one zap of Force Lightning or TK Kill, I'd be inclined to let things stay as they are.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bolt of Hatred - never used it. Don't really like the loss of CP effect. Too much like D&D life drain for my taste..

Never heard that before...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:
Bolt of Hatred - never used it. Don't really like the loss of CP effect. Too much like D&D life drain for my taste..

Never heard that before...
Seriously? Confused
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I dont like with BoH is that you are supposed to throw it at your opponent. Given that CPs in the RAW are miniature representations of the force I assume having a dark side attack power draining one is ok by me. However, in my games CPs are just like the old Skill Points and hence having a power draining those seems a bit weird.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I folded BoH in with Jerec's Force Destruction power from Dark Forces II. Line of sight, one target only, and can deliver a stunning effect or a kinetic effect. I treat it sort of like a ball lightning variation on Force Lightning.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
What I dont like with BoH is that you are supposed to throw it at your opponent. Given that CPs in the RAW are miniature representations of the force I assume having a dark side attack power draining one is ok by me. However, in my games CPs are just like the old Skill Points and hence having a power draining those seems a bit weird.
If your CPs are just skill points, why not just drop the CP drain?
What about throwing bothers you?
For me, throwing just makes the idea of draining worse. Draining without continued physical contact seems weird to me. How is draining force occurring? What is doing the draining? Where does the drained force go?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
If your CPs are just skill points, why not just drop the CP drain?
What about throwing bothers you?
For me, throwing just makes the idea of draining worse. Draining without continued physical contact seems weird to me. How is draining force occurring? What is doing the draining? Where does the drained force go?

Thats what I mean, in my games the draining is totally out of order. If CPs, as per the RAW, are miniature representations of the force its more logical. This said I have never used the power in my games.
It seems to me that actually throwing the force with your hand seems a bit silly. The force should be directed with your mind if there should be any targeting IMO.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
It seems to me that actually throwing the force with your hand seems a bit silly. The force should be directed with your mind if there should be any targeting IMO.
But I bet it looks really superheroic in a jedi-sith video game. Rolling Eyes
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funny thing is, Bolt of Hatred is actually a WEG original power from the Tales of the Jedi sourcebook. I haven't read all of the Tales of the Jedi comics, but I can't recall a single scene where this power is actually used. Basically, the throwing of the bolt was actually a WEG invention, not from a video game. Now that's really worth an eye roll.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's from Tales of the Jedi.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<shrug> Doesn't look entirely conclusive to me. I'm assuming that's from the Freedon Nadd Uprising, which is one that I haven't read. Do you have a better picture?

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
<shrug> Doesn't look entirely conclusive to me. I'm assuming that's from the Freedon Nadd Uprising, which is one that I haven't read. Do you have a better picture?
Google is not that hard to use. Try doing your own research.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked before I asked, and if that's the only picture they have of it, then I don't see how they got the power Bolt of Hatred from that one picture. There's nothing specific enough about that picture to justify creating a brand new power, when it could just easily be passed off as Force Lightning. But then, it wouldn't be the first time WEG used flimsy evidence to invent a new power.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: