The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Short-range Concussion-sphere Launchers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Short-range Concussion-sphere Launchers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Short-range Concussion-sphere Launchers Reply with quote

What exactly are they? They are found on the Corellia StarDrive Coruscant-class Heavy Courier.

I'm guessing they are some sort of predessessor to the Concussion missile launcher, but I'm not sure Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Short-range Concussion-sphere Launchers Reply with quote

Henrik.Balslev wrote:
What exactly are they? They are found on the Corellia StarDrive Coruscant-class Heavy Courier.

I'm guessing they are some sort of predessessor to the Concussion missile launcher, but I'm not sure Smile
Where is that ship from?
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Short-range Concussion-sphere Launchers Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Where is that ship from?

its from Tales of the Jedi Companion (page 116)

I also found the stats online here

one thing that I find odd is if you look at the hyperspace modifier its it x11, but the amount of food it stores in 2 weeks ... to me that looks like they will have to make an awful lot of stops along the way to restock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Henrik.Balslev
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'll take the silence to mean that noone really knows what they are - no matter Smile

Instead I'll ask this, what do YOU think they are ?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it were a classic era ship (or something close to it), I would've said that they were the concussion equivalent of proton bombs (which can be seen in the Complete Cross-Sections book TIE Bomber page). Since they are for the Tales of the Jedi Era, I have no idea. I can't even remember if Dark Horse gave the Coruscant-Class any weapons to begin with, and honestly it feels like WEG came along and just made something up.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concussion spheres are fired from a projectile launcher. They're essentially unguided concussion missiles with lower yields.

Think pirate gun.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a pirate gun shoot pirates? 'Cause I'm envisioning Jack Sparrow flying through the air.... Shocked
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Does a pirate gun shoot pirates? 'Cause I'm envisioning Jack Sparrow flying through the air.... Shocked
"Holy flying Sparrows Batman!" quote the Boy Wonder.

Good point. In which case what do you call a gun that the pirates use to shoot at others? Then what do you call the gun that the navy uses to shoot at pirates? English, precise it is not. Wink
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
English, precise it is not. Wink

But it sure can be entertaining!

I'm still with Jmanski, though. I thought I understood what was being discussed until the phrase pirate gun reared it's inscrutable head...

Complete Starship Construction System
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've gotta have a pirate gun. Gotta. Have.

Our characters do actually tend to let an unwary crew know we're pirates with an initial hail along the lines of, "Arrgh matey."
"Stand and deliver!" is used on planets.

Imperials are good to fun with.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beware the bantha gun..... Shocked
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanir wrote:
You've gotta have a pirate gun. Gotta. Have.
Well with a name like pirate gun, that goes without saying, but what the heck is it?

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concussion projectile launcher? You could launch all sorts of things at them. Utensils. Warheads. Droids.
I could be stretching things slightly.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so you mean like grape shot? The fact that you can load just about anything into a black powder cannon?

vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah seriously though I don't have the Tales of the Jedi handy but I recall a concussion projectile launcher equipped to some scouts, perhaps this concussion sphere is a bomb like device released from a tiny internal bay, or maybe it's the warheads for the concussion projectile launcher, I can't remember.

The way it appeared at the time was like the concussion proctile launcher was like an early Republic space cannon in the classical sense, let's say probably using a repulsor action as a railgun. It probably fires a variety of difference warhead types over short ranges, concussion spheres and proton spheres perhaps depending on loadout, you might create special warheads for it like shield-breakers (hits shields but does ionisation damage?).

I don't know, as a GM my gut wants me to get into the theme behind the individual weapon and try to best represent that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: