The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Destroyers in the movies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Star Destroyers in the movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Star Destroyers in the movies Reply with quote

The ISD specs with the 60 turbolasers and 60 ion cannons always bothered me because that is clearly not what Star Destroyers are armed with in the movies. They have something like six turreted heavy turbolaser batteries and two turreted heavy ion batteries, plus a pair of quad turbolasers and several smaller point defense lasers. Anyone have specs for this armament? If not, I'll make some up and share.

Complete Starship Construction System
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you figure that?
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at pictures of the model ILM used for the Devastator.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm using a revised scale system which puts Star Destroyers a step above the other cruisers and frigates, then puts the really big ships like the Executor and the Eclipse a step above Star Destroyers.

Under that system, the Star Destroyers keep the WEG-stat weapons as a secondary armament (sort of like the secondary 5" guns aboard battleships). The flank turrets shown on the ILM models are then upgraded to the same scale as the destroyer itself. I'd prefer to use a separate designation from turbolasers to keep them distinct, and the best I have seen is a mention in Before The Storm (Black Fleet Crisis, Book 1) of Star Destroyers being equipped with "pulse cannon" as their primary weapon system. I'd like to call them Pulse Laser and Pulse Ion Cannon, but Pulse Laser Cannon has already been taken for the weapons on the HT-2200 Medium Freighter. I'm considering just renaming the HT-2200's weapons as Heavy Laser Cannon to make it fit IMC. Of course, I am also open to suggestions for alternatives.

I'd also include the 40 Point Defense Laser Cannon mentioned in the WOTC Revised Sourcebook, because it makes sense to me that the ISD would have at least some form of anti-starfigher defense. In the ESB scene where the Falcon charges the Avenger, laser weapons can be seen firing at her, so I figure those are anti-starfighter weaponry.

Although I haven't re-stated the ISD's yet, their weapons systems would look something like:

Capital Ship Scale:
-6 Dual Laser Pulse Cannon
-2 Dual Ion Pulse Cannon
Starship Scale:
-60 Turbolaser Batteries
-60 Ion Cannon
Starfighter Scale:
-40 Laser Cannon
Special:
-10 Tractor Beam Projectors*

I use special rules for Tractor Beams that allow them to fire in a pre-selected scale, so that they can be used against Capital Ships, Starship or Starfighters without penalty (but subject to declaration by the gunner).

For upgraded Star Destroyers like the Imperial II, I've considered making all the Capital Ship-scale turrets into triple turrets, with two fire-linked Laser Pulse Cannon on either side and a single Ion Pulse Cannon in the center, so that each turret may fire either lasers or ion blasts depending on the situation.

Although it doesn't show it on the ILM model, the ISD cutaway in the Incredible Cross-Sections book shows a pair of quad-laser / quad-turbolaser cannon mounted on the mid-line trench and angled forward. I'd like to include that in some fashion, but again, most likely only on advanced destroyers.

EDIT: If I included both modifications on advanced designs, the ISD's Capital Scale weapons would be changed to "10 Pulse Cannon Turrets", with separate stats and ranges included for laser or ion fire.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's helpful. I don't want to try and fiddle with scales, so I think I'll just run them as normal capitals, but The 40 PD lasers is VERY helpful. I'm looking at some close up photos of the Devastator right now, so here's my go at the weapons suite based on what I see. I'll give explanations of my choices for each weapon system.

6 Heavy Turbolaser Batteries: Scale: capital, Arcs: 3 forward, port. 3 forward, starboard. Fire Control: 1D, Damage 10D, Range: 3-12/35/75

These are clearly visible on the main hull flanking the base of the superstructure. They are the size of large office buildings and considering the fact that every warship I can think of has a primary weapons system designed to punch holes in ships at least as big as they are, 10D damage seemed appropriate. Since the entire purpose of a wedge shaped ship is to allow all guns in side arcs to hit targets in the front, I've given them the benefit of the doubt and left them with that ability.

2 Heavy Ion Batteries: Scale: capital, Arcs: 1 forward, starboard, aft. 1 forward, port, aft. Fire Control: 2D, Damage 6D, Range: 1-10/25/50

These seem to be the only weapons on the ship designed to be able to fire in the rear arc. I suppose this makes sense from the "we're the Empire; we attack and they run," standpoint. Ion cannons seem to me to be configured to need a little luck on the damage when you're firing at an equally matched target. 6D is also big damage for an ion cannon, which reflects the fact that these turrets are roughly the same size as the heavy turbolaser batteries.

2 Quad Turbolasers: Scale: capital, Arcs 1 forward, starboard. 1 forward, port. Fire Control: 2D Damage: 5D, Range: 3-20/40/80

Something about the fact that there were only one of these guns each per side of the ship said to me "special purpose", so they got a slight range boost. Other than that, they're pretty standard middle of the road guns.

3 Twin Turbolasers: Scale: capital, Arcs: 3 forward, port, starboard. Fire Control: 4D, Damage: 4D, Range: 3-15/35/75

These guns can be seen along the dorsal ridge of the main hull just above the main fighter bay, ahead of the superstructure. Due to the facts that the mountings look vaguely turreted and the position is perfect for turrets, I'm giving them that ability, although the rear arc is clearly eclipsed by the superstructure. They're the smallest capital scale guns on the Devastator, so I figured low damage, high accuracy would be reasonable.

4 Assault Concussion Missile Tubes: Scale: capital, Arc: forward. Fire Control: 1D, Damage 9D, Range: 3-12/30/60, Magazine: 20 each

What are Concussion Missile tubes doing on an ISD? Well, early ILM stats and plans were pretty clear that ISDs were intended to carry heavy warhead launchers. They can be seen in the bow where the "trenches" meet. Modern prints call them tractor beam projectors, but those are accounted for later, and it makes more sense to me that the ISD should have some warheads considering its multi-role nature.

2 Tractor Beam Projectors: Scale: capital, Arc: turret. Fire Control: 2D, Damage: 4D, Range: 1-10/25/50

These are visible just ahead of the main fighter bay on the ventral hull. They look kind of like communications dishes, but there's no reason for there to be two of them, and right by the fighter bay is the best spot for tractor beams if the opening of ANH is anything like standard practice. The actual stats are wild guesses.

40 Point Defense Lasers: Scale: starfighter, Arcs: 10 each. Fire Control: 2D, Damage: 5D, Range: 1-3/12/25

For all the reasons crmcneill listed, and because I can see two tiny laser guns on the forward edge of the fighter bay, and because there had to be something there for the crew of the Devastator to decide not to shoot at R2 and 3P0's escape pod.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your ideas are not without merit, but if you really wanted to make it canon, you should restrict yourself to the weapons that can be seen on the ILM model, which don't include the mid-line quad-turbolasers or the dual turbolasers on the forward ridge.

The main advantage to WEG stats written the way they are is that standardized weaponry allows you to mix and match weaponry more easily with regards to the combined skill rules. Small numbers of larger weapons of differing types work well enough, but can focus on fewer targets, while larger numbers of weapons of uniform type can be directed to fire at their own separate targets or all concentrate on just one (or any combination in between).

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the original ILM model of the Devastator. You can see the Quads. They're aft of the midline in the smaller recesses. The dual turbolasers are also visible. They aren't big, but the photos I was looking at are.

Here's one from the Starboard side, where the heavy batteries are not built.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/__4pVfA9E_uc/SHGUT9K0vUI/AAAAAAAADOg/4AsfFxRpxcM/DSCN0224.JPG

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. I've looked at the exhibition photos before, but I guess I missed those. I don't think they put them on the Avenger model, but then, I didn't look all that close at that one either.

Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they ain't hard to miss! I suppose they're really big guns, but on a mile-long hull, they can just look like texture bumps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: