The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Conversion D20 help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Conversion D20 help.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Conversion D20 help. Reply with quote

Hey, all, I am not sure where I should start this thread... So I am sorry if this is the wrong place Very Happy

Though I am trying to do some D20 to D6 conversion, and I have all the guides there is just one thing I am confused about. I am trying to covert someones attack into their weapon skills. (Like Melee, Brawling, etc)

Though when doing this I face Atk: +15/+10 (Sword) and I have no idea why there are two numbers there or what they are. I -believe- attack base bonus is level+class, and to attack all together is level+class+size+strength...

Though I just can't for the life understand what Atk: +15/+10 represents. So I call for the help of rancor pits, you guys always seem to know the answers.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think +15/+10 is on a full attack action. So they make their first attack at +15 and +10 on their 2nd attack, however I might be wrong, since my D20 is quite rusty. And since I don't do much conversion, I doubt that I'd be much help. I would go with highest attack bonus to be converted, since multiple actions are shown in D6 with - dice from dice pool.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have different attacks based on their proficiencies and attack bonuses. Say, for example, someone is wielding a blaster. They will add their dexterity modifier to their base attack bonus, half their level, and then any additional modifiers (such as weapon finesse feats, etc.). If they are wielding a melee, or unarmed attack, they take their base attack, half their level, plus their STRENGTH, and then additional modifiers.

It could be that the stat block in question had someone with a higher dex than str, and/or they had additional feats and modifiers boosting their ranged attacks.

Out of context, it's hard to tell exactly what you're referencing. Generally, though, there are different types of weapons requiring a different attack stat.

Once you get a conversion or two done, feel free to post them. I'd love to see someone else's work on characters. They're such a pain in the butt I rarely do them.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In d20 you can't automatically make more than one attack in a round until you get high in levels. +15/+10 represents your first and second attacks. When figuring out skill levels, just use the first number, the second number is irrelevant to the base ability.

Attacks are calculated as:
Base Attack Bonus + Ability Modifier + Special
-- Base Attack Bonus is determined by your level and your class. For example, in D&D terms, a level 5 Fighter has a BAB of +5, whereas a level 5 Wizard has a BAB of +2. Characters gain additional attacks at -5 of their current BAB, and don't appear until they reach +1... meaning that a level 5 Fighter with BAB +5 has one attack per round, at level 6 BAB increases to +6, gaining a second attack at +1 (+6/+1). It continues on for a third when BAB reaches +11 (+11/+6/+1), etc.
-- Ability Modifier - this is a score based on your attributes. Ranged attacks used your Dexterity modifier, melee attacks use Strength.
-- Special - This might be a bonus or penalty based on species, items, weapon properties, etc. In D&D terms, it usually appears as a magic modifier (i.e. +1 Longsword), not sure how it manifests in Star Wars

Chesh mentioned a half your level addition... that might be a Star Wars specific rule, I'm not familiar with it (I only tried d20 Star Wars once or twice about 8 years ago).

Donate to Ankhanu Press
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... I see what you're talking about now. Yeah, he's right in terms of the attacks that come after a slash. I was thinking of attacks that appear on separate lines on the stat blocks.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was what it was. The Atk: +15/+10 was the first and second attack.

Thanks for both of your help, Ankhanu, and Cheshire. I actually love to do characters (For the most part I create them from the ground up if there are some D6 stats, or just what their powers and abilities are from canon sources)

Though once I get a better grasp of D20(And some of the other role-plays it translate into beyond Star Wars) I might throw one or two up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: