The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Something for those dark and lonely knights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Something for those dark and lonely knights. Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:15 pm    Post subject: Something for those dark and lonely knights. Reply with quote

I remember that there was talk about the possibility to draw on the dark side without going all out and receiving a dsp.

Scenario:

Calling on the dark side as a Jedi results in a dsp and all dice are doubled for the round. The idea was to tempt me by offering more dice without actually getting an immediate dsp.

All the normal rules for calling on the dark side apply and dsp give the usual bonus to force skills.

A character can draw on the dark side to receive bonuses to one (1) roll for a Force Power. Or Receive bonus for an activated power such as Lightsaber Combat.

The PC cannot receive a higher bonus from the dark side than the max dice of his current skill. Jedi Joe has 4D in control and draws on the dark side to help with his Telekinetics roll. He maxes out the bonus from the dark side and receives a further 4D to his roll. Jedi Joe won’t get any bonus to any of his other actions than the Telekinetics roll.

The PC has to resist the corruption of the dark side with his willpower. The opposed roll is ‘bonus dice’+2D. Jedi Joe uses 4D as bonus must beat 4D+2D=6D to resist being corrupted by the dark side.

Failing the corruption roll results in partial dsp. The amount of dsp received is bonus/skill. Failing a bonus test of 2D bonus with a 5D Alter skill results in 2/5 dsp.

EDIT: The GM could also keep the partial dsp hidden until a full dsp is received.

What do you think?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. You could even have the difficulty be on a sliding scale based on the character's Force skill level (the idea being that the Dark Side will have a stronger pull the more powerful the character is in the Force), which would give the Force user an incentive to keep his Willpower at pace with or abreast of his Force skill.

There has been some mention in the canon of a Jedi gaining great power by surrendering to the will of the Force in general. Perhaps this could be an expression of it; that a Jedi surrenders themselves to the power of the Force, and only their own sense of morality (represented by the Willpower roll) in this case, keeps that surrender from darkness.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is off course the danger that some people could go all out on willpower, but there is always the wild die.

The opposed roll could also be (skill/2)+'bonus dice' but that would be pretty harsh for someone with 6D in skill. But maybe it should be.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
There is off course the danger that some people could go all out on willpower, but there is always the wild die.

The opposed roll could also be (skill/2)+'bonus dice' but that would be pretty harsh for someone with 6D in skill. But maybe it should be.

Well, with a limited number of points to spend on skills, that would be a fair advantage for someone who opted to max out Willpower at the expense of other things.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my idea, which was a spin-off from my rules for WFRP2 magic. There you got to add extra power dice to your casting roll (up to double normal), with the only drawback that you had to roll an equal number of chaos dice (increasing the risk drastically for magical mishaps, possession or even being sucked into the chaos realm).

The idea was to let a player 'skirt' the dark side or even tap slightly into it, adding a number of temporary (one round) bonus dice just like DSPs adds bonus dice to Force Skills. As this would not be as dedicated as calling upon the dark side (ie getting a DSP and a FP), there would be a Willpower roll to resist a DSP (or partial DSP* as I use).

*Partial DSP:s are like a 'pip' is to full dice.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Na.. to me if they call on the darkside, they are calling on it.. meaning they gain a DSP. No partials, no avoiding it. You cannot ask the dark side to favor you without coming out without any taint.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Na.. to me if they call on the darkside, they are calling on it.. meaning they gain a DSP. No partials, no avoiding it. You cannot ask the dark side to favor you without coming out without any taint.

Well, the thing is you won't. Thats the whole idea. Players will be easily corrupted. Once you pop, you can't stop! And if the GM is withholding teh information if you succeed in resisting or not, you'll never know what hit you. 2 failed rolls for a bonus of 2D will give a 4D skill jedi a dsp. I don't see that as coming out uncorrupted...
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How if they can roll willpower to avoid it?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

You are missing the whole point!

The idea with the mechanic (from the Dark Sides pov) is to increase the likelihood of someone using the dark side.

If you risk damnation with the smallest transgression (availible) its very easy to stay on the shining path. If theres a grey area which can snare you with no immediate risks, its easier to test the limits. Which is the whole idea.

Now its Nothing, nothing, nothing, DARK SIDE Laughing
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
How if they can roll willpower to avoid it?

Thats like saying you will never be injured as you can roll Str to resist it.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
The idea with the mechanic (from the Dark Sides pov) is to increase the likelihood of someone using the dark side.

If you risk damnation with the smallest transgression (availible) its very easy to stay on the shining path. If theres a grey area which can snare you with no immediate risks, its easier to test the limits. Which is the whole idea.

Initially I was resistant to this idea. But after listening to ZzaphodD, I find this idea...intriguing Twisted Evil MWAA! HAA! HAA! HAA! HA! ..cough, hack, cough...d*mn!
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

What he said.

The mechanic for resisting could also be modified by the GM according to circumstances. Full of anger... harder to resist. Although you might have a hard time channeling the dark side without anger?

But what are dsp pips? 0.1 dsp? And does it matter how many extra dice you use? Do you get 0.2 dsp for using 2D and 0.3 dsp for 3D etc?

Personally I like the fractions because it will be a quick decent if you use a lot of bonus dice. And it will also be quicker for low level Jedi trying to take the quick and easy way. Even if you have a lot of willpower, once you fail it will go quick.

For Jedi with different values of the Force Skills you just use a common denominator to determine when the full dsp is reached.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Something for those dark and lonely knights. Reply with quote

OK Random, let me see if I understand what you are proposing.
Random Numbers wrote:
...A character can draw on the dark side to receive bonuses to one (1) roll for a Force Power. Or Receive bonus for an activated power such as Lightsaber Combat.

The PC cannot receive a higher bonus from the dark side than the max dice of his current skill...

Failing the corruption roll results in partial dsp. The amount of dsp received is bonus/skill...

So let's take Chris the Jedi who has Willpower 5D, Control 3D, Sense 5D, and Alter 4D. Chris could ask for a Dark Side bonus of up to 3D to control or 5D to Sense or 4D to alter, right?

Respectively then Chris rolls either 5D or 7D or 6D vs a Willpower of 5D, correct?

And if the roll is made, no DSP. If the roll is failed then Chris gets 3/3 or 5/5 or 4/4 DSP, correct?

If the bonus the Chris took was possibly less than the max, say only a 3D bonus in each case, then on failure Chris gets 3/3 or 3/5 or 3/4 DSP, correct?

Once I see if I understand this, then I will ask how the bonus works when adding to an active power that uses more than one force skill e.g. lightsaber combat.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Something for those dark and lonely knights. Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
OK Random, let me see if I understand what you are proposing.
Random Numbers wrote:
...A character can draw on the dark side to receive bonuses to one (1) roll for a Force Power. Or Receive bonus for an activated power such as Lightsaber Combat.

The PC cannot receive a higher bonus from the dark side than the max dice of his current skill...

Failing the corruption roll results in partial dsp. The amount of dsp received is bonus/skill...

So let's take Chris the Jedi who has Willpower 5D, Control 3D, Sense 5D, and Alter 4D. Chris could ask for a Dark Side bonus of up to 3D to control or 5D to Sense or 4D to alter, right?

Respectively then Chris rolls either 5D or 7D or 6D vs a Willpower of 5D, correct?

And if the roll is made, no DSP. If the roll is failed then Chris gets 3/3 or 5/5 or 4/4 DSP, correct?

If the bonus the Chris took was possibly less than the max, say only a 3D bonus in each case, then on failure Chris gets 3/3 or 3/5 or 3/4 DSP, correct?

Once I see if I understand this, then I will ask how the bonus works when adding to an active power that uses more than one force skill e.g. lightsaber combat.

That's correct.

For lightsaber combat the Jedi could call on temporal bonus to his sense and receiving extra dice to hit or a bonus to his control and get extra damage.

I'm not claiming to have this right and since I'm not a GM for SW this is more of suggestion to my GM.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except I'm not sure how you got the opposed roll to the numbers, but I have suggested 2 different ways of calculating it. It's not really important. That could be tweaked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: