The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Something for those dark and lonely knights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Something for those dark and lonely knights. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

If i could see adopting something like this i would do it at a min of 1dsp for failing it..

Correct. It seems that you would have to be gaining a good size bonus AND having a low willpower to suffer gaining any pips of darksideness... assuming you even fail the rolls.

Why a minimum? It's a far lesser bonus than receiving a full force point. The idea is to make it dangerous but tempting to 'flirt' with the dark side. Like when it's only a two extra dice to have a good chance of getting that desirable result.

The willpower test should be attainable but certainly not easy. If it's too easy it's just another Jedi booster, but if it's too hard it's no temptation. The point is to tempt the character when it's not justifiable to go all out with a full force point but it just makes life a little quicker and easier to have a couple of extra dice. It's not about giving a free ride to Jedi. It's about getting Jedi to fall hard on their asses.

I fully understand If you don't like the idea. It's not very starwarsy if you go by the rulebook. There is no 'evidence' of it in 'canon'. For Zaphod and me it's standard procedure in every fantasy game we play. Why not have something similar in Star Wars? The dark side is like the über tempting mmega demon devil thingy. It should be a master of temptation.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then hows about instead of a willpower roll, the 'extra dice' are wild like when you have Jury rigging dice'. If any are 1's reroll THEM only, and if any of the reroll also come up a 1, you gain the dsp..
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Then hows about instead of a willpower roll, the 'extra dice' are wild like when you have Jury rigging dice'. If any are 1's reroll THEM only, and if any of the reroll also come up a 1, you gain the dsp..

That could work. I like that idea a lot. Random and dangerous and easy to underestimate the probability of failure with lots of bonus dice Wink That't basically how it works in Warhammer fantasy roleplay I think. And it's probably something that Zaphod would like as well. and he has probably already considered it Very Happy he is evil that way...

I just know my fellow Jedi will use this to his downfall!

It would be fun if we could play test it this weekend.. we have a session booked!
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be even more evil with...

If any bonus dice come up a 1, roll on the chart. And then something like..

1: gain one dsp
2: learn one dark side power
3: all force skills are halved for 1d6 rounds
4: your friendly neighborhood Sith spirit pops in for a visit
5: taken over by the dark side for 1d6 rounds
6: dark side mutation

But more thought through and statistically varied.

Muuaaahhahahahahahahaha!
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

A 'pip' DSP is just like a normal 'pip' is to a full Die, ie 1/3. Im looking for a name for the 'pip' but havent got one yet.

Dark Side Pip sounds evil enough Very Happy
Is that a LOTR pun, he Took a Dark Side bonus so he gets a Dark Side Pip? Laughing
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Random Numbers wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

A 'pip' DSP is just like a normal 'pip' is to a full Die, ie 1/3. Im looking for a name for the 'pip' but havent got one yet.

Dark Side Pip sounds evil enough Very Happy
Is that a LOTR pun, he Took a Dark Side bonus so he gets a Dark Side Pip? Laughing

haha! I didn't even think of that! I'm so smart and funny without even knowing it myself Very Happy

Thanks for the laugh.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Might be something there. I still think the numbers need some tweaking.
The goals are:
(1) Tempt Jedi to try to skirt the edge of the Dark Side by giving them a chance for extra force dice without getting a Dark Side Point (or Pip) if they roll well or fortunately.
(2) This should be less of a bonus than calling on the Dark Side.
(3) This should have the chance for less penalty that calling on the Dark Side.
(4) This should not be a freeby to increase Jedi power without some risk.

That being said, the original idea of roll bonus dice + a modifier vs. willpower fails goal (4) if the Jedi has a high willpower compared to the bonus dice and his force powers and existing # DSPs.

One could use garhkal's idea of rolling a 1 on any of the bonus dice requires a reroll to see if a DSP is gained (on a 1 on the reroll gain a DSP). I like this, but it fails goal (3) since a Jedi could easily gain more than 1 DSP which is more expensive than calling on the Dark Side. One could modify this in one of two ways:
(i) Max of 1 DSP no matter how many 1's appear on the bonus dice.
(ii) Instead of a DSP issue a Dark Side Pip. With the odds on a single dice of rolling 1 followed by a reroll of 1 being 1/36 it is unlikely (though not impossible) for a Jedi to get more than 3 Dark Side pips from a single bonus.

Thoughts?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:

I just know my fellow Jedi will use this to his downfall!

It would be fun if we could play test it this weekend.. we have a session booked!

Thanks.. Feel free to give it a whirl.

Quote:
One could use garhkal's idea of rolling a 1 on any of the bonus dice requires a reroll to see if a DSP is gained (on a 1 on the reroll gain a DSP). I like this, but it fails goal (3) since a Jedi could easily gain more than 1 DSP which is more expensive than calling on the Dark Side. One could modify this in one of two ways:
(i) Max of 1 DSP no matter how many 1's appear on the bonus dice.

That is how i meant it.
say you roll 5d (+2d from dsps)..
Your rolls come up 4, 2, 6, 4, 2(wild) 3 and 1(dark side dice)
You then roll those 2 dice..
If any is a 1 you gain a dsp. Not 1 dsp per 1.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
It was my idea, which was a spin-off from my rules for WFRP2 magic. There you got to add extra power dice to your casting roll (up to double normal), with the only drawback that you had to roll an equal number of chaos dice (increasing the risk drastically for magical mishaps, possession or even being sucked into the chaos realm).

The idea was to let a player 'skirt' the dark side or even tap slightly into it, adding a number of temporary (one round) bonus dice just like DSPs adds bonus dice to Force Skills. As this would not be as dedicated as calling upon the dark side (ie getting a DSP and a FP), there would be a Willpower roll to resist a DSP (or partial DSP* as I use).

*Partial DSP:s are like a 'pip' is to full dice.

The above is indeed in line with Zaphods original idea
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When we played WFRP you had a certain number of 'power dice' when casting spells. Much like D6 you had to beat a target number to succeed. I introduced a rule that you could add a number of dice up to your original number of dice if you wanted. The only drawback was that you had to roll an equal amount of 'chaos dice' as the number of extra power dice. Chaos dice had no effect on the casting roll except that they could trigger Tzeentchs Curse* It was always funny to see the mage player fight with his greed for power. I was thinking of something similar for SW D6. A middle ground between calling for the Dark Side in the RAW (ie Force Point) and staying on the narrow path. Perhaps just drawing slightly on the Dark Side (ie, one or two extra dice) would be better mechanic for tempting player. They might manage it without going down the journey to the dark side. If you want to tempt your player with a few dice, its much more effective if the outcome isnt decided beforehand (ie gaining a DSP).

*When casting spells if you rolled two or more 1:s you trigger Tzeentchs Curse. This starts (at 2 1:s) with some mild effect like spooky voices, caster glows red, etc (which in a supersticios fantasy-europe can really be a bad thing). The more ones, the worse the effects. After a while possession, magical blowack, diabolic visions and such pop up. Being sucked into the realm of chaos meant rolling up a new character.

Tzeentch of course being the chaos god of magic & change if you are not into the Warhammer world.

It could work like this.

You get a maximum bonus of your current Force Skill.

If any bonus dice come up a one (1) you roll on a table 1D10

1D10 +('number of 1'-1)

1-2 Nothing happens
3-4 All force skills are halved for 1d6 rounds due to something, something dark side
5-7 gain 1 Dark side Pip
8-9 gain 2 Dark side Pip
10-15 gain 1 dsp
16+ change your name to Dark side Pip and receive a precious present in the form of a cool dark side mutation.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random Numbers wrote:
...If any bonus dice come up a one (1) you roll on a table 1D10...

What is this D10 of which you speak? All my Star Wars dice have only six sides.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Random Numbers wrote:
...If any bonus dice come up a one (1) you roll on a table 1D10...

What is this D10 of which you speak? All my Star Wars dice have only six sides.

Oh my god, I've just invented and new system! SWRPG D60!
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's SWD6 again

2-4 Nothing happens
4-6 All force skills are halved for 1d6 rounds due to something, something dark side
7-8 gain 1 Dark side Pip
9-10 gain 2 Dark side Pip
11-15 gain 1 dsp
16+ change your name to Dark side Pip and receive a precious present in the form of a cool dark side mutation.

It might also be that the garhkal/bren method with re rolling d6 for dsp only is easier and more convenient.

Although I have no idea what method Zaphod prefers, I really look forward to trying this mechanic in our group of misfits.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the whole idea is for it to be a slow and almost unnoticable move towards the dark side. Perhaps if your WP roll totally screws up (ie under 0 for example) you will end up with a DSP. If its to easy to get a DSP, then no one will use it and the idea is moot.

Low bonuses, low risks (to begin with)..just add up those dark side 'pips' from time to time, but most of the time you will be fine (honestly, I promise)....

Twisted Evil
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Low bonuses, low risks (to begin with)..just add up those dark side 'pips' from time to time, but most of the time you will be fine (honestly, I promise)....

What would some example bonuses and associated dice rolls look like to see if is 0 or say 1 DSpip?

I want to understand a bit about how risky it is so I can get a sense if it is tempting enough without being too easy to avoid long term.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: