The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter Reply with quote

Alliance R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter

Craft: Modified Hoersch-Kessel R-42 Starchaser
Affiliation: Rebel Alliance
Era: Rebellion
Type: Stealth Strike Starfighter
Scale: Starfighter
Length: 16.3 meters
Skill: Starfighter Piloting: R-Wing
Crew: 2 (1 Pilot, 1 Systems Operator)
Crew Skill:
Sensors 4D
Starfighter Piloting 4D+2
Starship Gunnery 4D+2
Starship Shields 4D+1
Cargo Capacity: 35 kilograms
Consumables: 2 days
Cost: 725,000 credits as modified, Not Available For Sale.
Availability: 4, X
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x1
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 2D+1
Space: 6
Atmosphere: 295; 850 kmh
Hull: 2D
Sensors:
Passive: 40/1D
Scan: 35/1D
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 2/3D
Stealth: +6D
Weapons:
2 Mass Driver Cannon (fire linked)
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1-3/7/15
Atmosphere Range: 100-300/700/1.5 km
Damage: 4D
2 General Purpose Warhead Launchers
Fire Arc: Front
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 2D
Space Range: 1/3/7 for missile and torpedoes, 1/2/5 for rockets and bombs
Atmosphere Range: 50-500/1/5 km if a missile, torpedo or rocket, 30-100/300/700 if a bomb
Damage:
9D if a concussion missile or proton torpedo is used
10D if a heavy rocket is used
11D if a heavy proton bomb is used.
Self-Destruct System
Damage: 9D
Range: Full damage to the R-Wing, 1/2 damage to anything in the same Space Unit, or within 100 meters.

Capsule:
With the Alliance's emphasis on starfighter combat over capital ships, they often had to resort to modification of outdated craft to meet tactical and strategic requirements for ships with special capabilities. The R-Wing is one of the best examples of that trend. Based on the outdated R-42 Starchaser, the R-Wing is a true stealth fighter. Alliance engineers took surplus R-42 starfighters (the 2-seat variant of the R-41) and modified them to be virtually undetectable. Indeed, stealth is the R-Wing's greatest advantage, because it is highly vulnerable to modern fighters if detected.

Notable modifications include a wide array of stealth equipment, including a double treatment of Arakyd Nightshadow Sensor Baffling, a Fabritech Vanish 3 Sensor Mask, an Intelstar Passive Jamming System (projects energy waves that disguise the ship by dampening its existing energy signature) and a prototype Ion Drive Baffling array that disperses the ion heat of the ship's drive. In addition, the ship's Generral Purpose Warhead Launchers are equipped to launch MerenData Mimic Sensor Decoys. The ship's passive sensor systems have been upgraded, and the stock Ion Cannon have been swapped with grav-fired Mass Driver Cannon that allow the R-Wing to engage a target with cannon fire without breaking stealth mode. Finally, the R-Wing is equipped with a powerful self-destruct device to prevent the valuable craft from falling into Imperial hands.

The crew of two consists of a pilot, who also handles gunnery duty, and a Systems Operator who handles the sensors, shields and stealth equipment. R-Wing crews are some of the most highly disciplined fighters in the Alliance, and with good reason, as their standing orders are to avoid capture at all costs, up to and including suicide by detonating the R-Wing's self-destruct device.

R-Wings are deployed only against high-priority targets, usually as a preliminary strike as part of a joint operation or conventional starfighter attack. Even on joint operations, R-Wings operate independently, hitting their targets by stealth and getting out. Their stealth is their chief strength, and operating in close proximity to other, non-stealthy Alliance fighters greatly increases their chances of detection. In addition to strike missions, R-Wings are also commonly used for reconnaissance missions, using their stealth to get in close and gather information on targets in a way that no other starfighter can.

Because of the extensive stealth modifications, R-Wings cost in excess of 700,000 credits per ship. The Alliance currently has a single wing of 36 R-Wings in operation, attached directly to Fleet Starfighter Command. The wing never deploys as a full unit, as it is scattered across the galaxy in small detachments of 2-4 craft plus their support crew. Although the demand for R-Wings is high, the Alliance has no plans to deploy more units at this time, as current production capacity is just barely keeping pace with operational losses.

EDIT: Edited the Hull to reflect greater fragility due to installed equipment, and added a notation to the shields that they negatively effect the ship's stealth if active.

EDIT 2: Removed shields and laser cannon to reflect mission requirements and the necessity for some equipment to be removed to make room for the add-on systems.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:23 pm; edited 5 times in total
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ship but a description of how the stealth technology works in terms of dice may be helpful.

What does an enemy vessel have to roll to detect this ship and what sort of piloting difficulty is the R-Wing looking at to avoid visual detection?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Nice ship but a description of how the stealth technology works in terms of dice may be helpful.

What does an enemy vessel have to roll to detect this ship and what sort of piloting difficulty is the R-Wing looking at to avoid visual detection?

If I were to come up with something off the top of my head, I would say that a ship's Stealth dice value is applied as a penalty to Sensors, Fire Control, and visual spotting attempts. The R-Wing is coated in low visibility sensor baffling exterior treatment, the sensor mask greatly reduces the ship's EM signature in all spectrums, the spectrums in which it does radiate are masked by the passive jamming system to make the ship appear to be something other than a ship, and the ion baffling disperses the drive waste heat, which is one of the main ways a ship is detected.

Basically, any attempt to detect or identify the R-Wing using Sensors or visual spotting (whatever the rules for that may be) are automatically increased in difficulty by 6D. Any attempt to get a target lock on an R-Wing is increased in difficulty by 6D. The ship is very fragile if you can get a hit in, but getting the hit in is the really tricky part.

I'm considering using sensor rules for Sensor Masks as described in GG8: Scouts for the Skyblind, where the Stealth dice were treated as shields, and could be concentrated in one arc at the expense of the others. If I went that route, the ship would be as good as cloaked from one direction, but more easily detectable (and therefore vulnerable) in the others.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the alliance had these ships, why did it take till the NJO time frame to make the stealthX fighters?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If the alliance had these ships, why did it take till the NJO time frame to make the stealthX fighters?

I'm thinking technological development. If you look at the development of the F-117 Stealth Fighter, its main advantage was that it was stealthy and could carry ordnance, but it was by no means a fighter. It wasn't until the introduction of the F-22 Raptor, over 25 years later, that the technology had reached the point where you could have a stealthy aircraft that could deliver ordnance and dogfight.

With 3D Hull, 1D Shields, 1D Maneuverability and a Space of 6, the R-Wing is a crappy dogfighter, and has to rely solely on its stealth capabilities to succeed in combat. Something like the StealthX takes the best of all available technology and combines it into one lethal package that would roll right over an R-Wing in a one-on-one fight. My concept here, however, is that the StealthX technology derives from lessons learned in the design and operation of the R-Wing.

Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

If I were to come up with something off the top of my head, I would say that a ship's Stealth dice value is applied as a penalty to Sensors, Fire Control, and visual spotting attempts. The R-Wing is coated in low visibility sensor baffling exterior treatment, the sensor mask greatly reduces the ship's EM signature in all spectrums, the spectrums in which it does radiate are masked by the passive jamming system to make the ship appear to be something other than a ship, and the ion baffling disperses the drive waste heat, which is one of the main ways a ship is detected.

Basically, any attempt to detect or identify the R-Wing using Sensors or visual spotting (whatever the rules for that may be) are automatically increased in difficulty by 6D. Any attempt to get a target lock on an R-Wing is increased in difficulty by 6D. The ship is very fragile if you can get a hit in, but getting the hit in is the really tricky part.

I'm considering using sensor rules for Sensor Masks as described in GG8: Scouts for the Skyblind, where the Stealth dice were treated as shields, and could be concentrated in one arc at the expense of the others. If I went that route, the ship would be as good as cloaked from one direction, but more easily detectable (and therefore vulnerable) in the others.

The Outriders "Black chrome" reduces sensors by 1D+2 on ranges of more than 50 units.
Slave 1s "sensor mask" reduces sensors by 2D on ranges of more than 50 units.

These kind of modifiers should work, but perhaps the R-wings stealth have higher effect, and might work on closer ranges...
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anakin wrote:
crmcneill wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

The Outriders "Black chrome" reduces sensors by 1D+2 on ranges of more than 50 units.
Slave 1s "sensor mask" reduces sensors by 2D on ranges of more than 50 units.

These kind of modifiers should work, but perhaps the R-wings stealth have higher effect, and might work on closer ranges...

I can't see the Rebellion having the R&D money to develop this alongside the A-Wing and B-Wing. These were expensive ships to make and the Rebellion was really strapped for cash. The A-Wing's sensor jammer is another example of contemporary stealth technology.
I could potentially see them using the same stealth technologies already available, but I can't see them developing better tech. Remember, these dudes were grassroots. Producing brand new advanced technologies lightyears ahead of anything else out there is just… ugh.

Personally, I think the proposed mechanic is… well… outlandish Razz It's just too much for a beleaguered Rebellion to develop, let alone the state of technology in the Rebellion Era.
Using the GG8 sensor stealth thing you mentioned does sound like a good idea.

You say the ship is fragile, but you've made it more durable than the base ship it is a modification of. Technically, yeah, it's got +1 less to repel damage… but is +1D better at repelling ion source damage, or damage while the shields are down. It's a better ship in that regard.
At least this time you've given a significant trade off for adding in heavy hull plating, extra weapons systems and assorted other advanced technologies to the frame by reducing the speed by 4. Personally I'd feel inclined to reduce Maneuverability too due to the added weight and energy consumption by the stealth tech, etc.

Basically what you're introducing with the R-Wing is a replacement of the A-Wing… at the same time the A-Wing was developed, being near the height of technological capability. You're introducing stealth where the A-Wing did the same thing with speed and a sophisticated sensor jamming package. It feels really out of place in the setting.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:
I can't see the Rebellion having the R&D money to develop this alongside the A-Wing and B-Wing. These were expensive ships to make and the Rebellion was really strapped for cash. The A-Wing's sensor jammer is another example of contemporary stealth technology.

I could potentially see them using the same stealth technologies already available, but I can't see them developing better tech. Remember, these dudes were grassroots. Producing brand new advanced technologies lightyears ahead of anything else out there is just… ugh.

Actually, the Sensor Baffling and the Sensor Mask are both commercially available in the SWU (per the Pirates and Privateers book), just at a very high price and low availability. I based the Passive Jamming System on the system fitted to Slave One, but based on the combination with other stealth equipment, I just decided to have it as a straight bonus, rather than a bonus at 50 units. The only piece of tech I made up is Ion Drive Baffling, which cuts the drive speed.

Quote:
Personally, I think the proposed mechanic is… well… outlandish Razz It's just too much for a beleaguered Rebellion to develop, let alone the state of technology in the Rebellion Era.

I look at it from the perspective of the Alliance having a lot of engineering personnel who were capable of innovative thinking but lacking the technological resources of the Empire. When presented with a project, they took an existing craft and modified it to meet the standards requested, using mostly existing technology, combined with one or two new inventions. The end result is an extremely rare craft: I mentioned in the write-up that there were no more than three squadrons of R-Wings in operation in the entire galaxy. Outlandish would be flooding the market with these things at 100,000 credits apiece.

Quote:

I'm leaning that direction. I'd have to rewrite the stats to better reflect the nature of each stealth system, as the sensor mask and passive jamming system would be capable of refocusing to cover one arc more than the other, while the baffling (which is nothing more than an exterior coating) is more like armor, and the drive baffling simply scatter's the ship's drive waste so that it dissipates more quickly.

Quote:
You say the ship is fragile, but you've made it more durable than the base ship it is a modification of. Technically, yeah, it's got +1 less to repel damage… but is +1D better at repelling ion source damage, or damage while the shields are down. It's a better ship in that regard.
At least this time you've given a significant trade off for adding in heavy hull plating, extra weapons systems and assorted other advanced technologies to the frame by reducing the speed by 4. Personally I'd feel inclined to reduce Maneuverability too due to the added weight and energy consumption by the stealth tech, etc.

A fair point. It was an impulse decision to change the Hull strength from 2D+1 to 3D on the stat write-up, and with the added systems, having it be more fragile would make more sense. I'd also add a notation that having the shields active reduces the effectiveness of the Stealth by 2D.

As for reducing the speed further, I've already chopped it from 10 to 6 to reflect the drive baffling. The stats for the Sensor Mask make no mention of weight, the Passive Jamming System has no stats apart from what is mentioned in the Slave One stats, the Ion Drive Baffling was pretty much invented on the spot, and the Sensor Baffling is basically an extra thick paint job. Chopping the speed from 10 to 6 seems like a fair trade-off to me.

Quote:
Basically what you're introducing with the R-Wing is a replacement of the A-Wing… at the same time the A-Wing was developed, being near the height of technological capability. You're introducing stealth where the A-Wing did the same thing with speed and a sophisticated sensor jamming package. It feels really out of place in the setting.

An important distinction; the A-wing was designed as a front-line combat fighter for mass-production. While expensive, it is a bargain compared to an R-Wing. A-Wings were produced and fielded in large numbers. The R-Wing, on the other hand, is extremely limited in numbers, and production rate just barely keeps up with combat losses. A-Wings would be a relatively common sight in Alliance service. R-Wings would be extremely rare, and only deployed to combat zones on a case-by-case basis.

As for feeling out-of-place, that's certainly your prerogative in your campaign setting.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Alliance R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter
Hull: 3D
I would leave the hull at 2D as in the original configuration. you could also then look at lowering the self destruct damage to 6D over hull dice and maybe boosting speed a couple units
Sensors:
Passive: 40/1D
Scan: 35/1D
Search: 40/2D
Focus: 2/3D
I don't think I've ever seen a ship with better passive than active sensor range. I wouldn't think that is possible. Also, if this ship is to play a reconnaissance role I would think it would have a no missile configuration with Y-wing longprobe type sensors. Except for the passive range, a normal X-wing has better sensors than does this ship.
That is extremely stealthy. Seems more like a Sith vessel. Possibly something from the NJO or later period. Maybe even something that uses captured/found Sith Tech.
Weapons:
...[Ammo?]
9D if a concussion missile or proton torpedo is used [Ammo?]
10D if a heavy rocket is used [Ammo?]
11D if a heavy proton bomb is used. [Ammo?]
I am ignoring commenting on the extremely high damage for the ordinance. We must have a very different view of that matter. BTW, I did find mass and ammo for SF and CAP launchers.
Capsule::
...Indeed, stealth is the R-Wing's greatest advantage, because it is highly vulnerable to modern fighters if detected. Although it is equipped with a pair of laser cannon, it hardly ever uses them, as the energy signal of a laser cannon blast highlights the starfighter's location...
I would remove the laser cannons. They don't fit the mission profiles and pilot & crew will be a lot more cautious without them. Extreme caution and stealth fit the mission profile. Also, if avoiding capture is more important than pilot survival, don't allow them the chance to give their position away due to fear or wanting to rescue a friend.
...In addition to strike missions, R-Wings are also commonly used for reconnaissance missions, using their stealth to get in close and gather information on targets in a way that no other starfighter can...
Then there should be a recon configuration with better sensors such as those on the Y-wing longprobe.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
I would leave the hull at 2D as in the original configuration. you could also then look at lowering the self destruct damage to 6D over hull dice and maybe boosting speed a couple units

I already changed the hull back to 2D as per a previous request, and I included a notation that shields penalize Stealth if used simultaneously. I prefer to have speed cut low because I want this ship to be highly dependent on its stealth. I don't want it to be able to run too far or too fast if discovered.

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a ship with better passive than active sensor range. I wouldn't think that is possible. Also, if this ship is to play a reconnaissance role I would think it would have a no missile configuration with Y-wing longprobe type sensors. Except for the passive range, a normal X-wing has better sensors than does this ship.

Quote:
Then there should be a recon configuration with better sensors such as those on the Y-wing longprobe.

My theory going in is that the engineers who redesigned the R-42 into the R-Wing didn't take anything out if they didn't have to, and only upgraded what they needed to. Because the ship was designed to operate primarily in stealth mode, they upgraded the passive sensors only, but left the active ones stock.

As for the reconnaissance idea, you are correct, except that this ship is designed primarily for strike missions, but because of its stealth, it occasionally gets used unmodified for recon missions. Depending on how far I felt like taking the modifications, it might be possible to put a sensor pod in with the GP warhead launcher, but I didn't make up any rules for that.

Quote:
That is extremely stealthy. Seems more like a Sith vessel. Possibly something from the NJO or later period. Maybe even something that uses captured/found Sith Tech.

According to the RAW in Pirates and Privateers, a ship with a Sensor Mask and two layers of Sensor Baffling gets +4D to Stealth. Adding in the Drive Baffling and the Passive Jamming, then +6D is certainly possible.

Quote:
...[Ammo?]
9D if a concussion missile or proton torpedo is used [Ammo?]
10D if a heavy rocket is used [Ammo?]
11D if a heavy proton bomb is used. [Ammo?]
I am ignoring commenting on the extremely high damage for the ordinance. We must have a very different view of that matter. BTW, I did find mass and ammo for SF and CAP launchers.

For the ammo and the damage on the GP Warhead Launchers, I just cut and pasted the stats direct from the TIE Avenger in the Starship Compilation. Ammo capacity for most missiles on starfighters is rarely included (even though it really should be). When I have time, I'd probably sti down and write up a chart similar to the one given for the TIE Bomber, detailing what it can and can't carry.

Quote:
I would remove the laser cannons. They don't fit the mission profiles and pilot & crew will be a lot more cautious without them. Extreme caution and stealth fit the mission profile. Also, if avoiding capture is more important than pilot survival, don't allow them the chance to give their position away due to fear or wanting to rescue a friend.

Very true, and I will add that in. As far as the laser cannon, I mentioned above with the sensors that the engineers didn't remove anything unless they absolutely had to, so IMO, they also left the laser cannon, even though the laser cannon almost never get used. If anything, their presence is nothing more than a security blanket for the crew, in the sense that, if they have nothing else to fall back on, they can still shoot back.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When if ever did they make general purpose missile launcher systems? I do not think you could have one that does the narrow but long C/missile, the fat and short heavy bombs etc..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
When if ever did they make general purpose missile launcher systems? I do not think you could have one that does the narrow but long C/missile, the fat and short heavy bombs etc..

I see it something along the lines of hardpoints that they have on modern jet fighters. You simply have a connection point that you can strap something to, so long as it fits in the space allotted. Maybe it's even a rotary system like the bomb racks on the B-2 bomber.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen a ship with better passive than active sensor range. I wouldn't think that is possible.

My theory going in is that the engineers who redesigned the R-42 into the R-Wing didn't take anything out if they didn't have to, and only upgraded what they needed to. Because the ship was designed to operate primarily in stealth mode, they upgraded the passive sensors only, but left the active ones stock.

In my mind the whose sensor set is one package and the different types of sensor sweeps are just different ways of using the sensors. With passive mode you're doing the bare minimum in terms of scanning so I just don't get how you can do better with a passive scan than you can with an active scan.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: R-Wing Stealth Strike Starfighter Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
In my mind the whose sensor set is one package and the different types of sensor sweeps are just different ways of using the sensors. With passive mode you're doing the bare minimum in terms of scanning so I just don't get how you can do better with a passive scan than you can with an active scan.

I figured I was already changing up enough as it was. It would be easier for techs to simply tack on some DERs or FSTs to increase passive sensor capacity to an existing unit than it would be to swap out an entire sensor package for a new one. For a second generation craft, designed from the ground up, you would be correct, but this is more like taking a car to a shop to have after-market performance parts added than it is of buying a sports car stock from the dealership.

Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu wrote:

I agree on the economic part, but then again the Alliance is supposed to have only one wing of these vessels, so it is kind of limited edition. However I can't see how this craft could possibly be a replacement for the A-wing, with 2D+1 in maneuver and a space move of 6...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: