The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for High-Level Characters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for High-Level Characters Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Rules for High-Level Characters Reply with quote

I recall a post at some point in the last month or so that someone made the point that the WEG system doesn't work nearly as well for high-level characters as it does for beginning characters, mostly on account of the sheer number of dice being rolled.

For those of you with experience playing high-level campaigns, I'm looking for ways around that complexity. The one I keep coming back to is this:

As a character progresses, he may choose to exchange random dice values (in increments of 2D only) for a set value of 7 (the most likely result on a 2D). The character may exchange up to half of their existing skill dice (in increments of 2D, rounded down to the nearest whole value). The adjusted Force skills are then represented thusly: 5D+2(+14)

Example:
Jedi Bob has 9D+2 in Control. He chooses to exchange 4D of his Control dice for a flat value of 14, so his skill is now written as 5D+2(+14). Instead of rolling 9D for a Control roll, he rolls 5D, then adds 14 to the total. When Jedi Bob reaches the equivalent of 12D in Control, he may choose to exchange an additional 2D for a +7 modifier, and his skill will be written as 6D(+21)

Force Points apply as normal to the dice values, but only add +5 to the base value for every increment of 7 in the base value. CPs are spent as normal, and Wild Dice occur normally as well.

Example:
Jedi Bob, at 5D(+14) chooses to spend a Force Point on Resist Stun. In addition to his 5D skill, he rolls another 5D courtesy of the Force Point, then adds the +14 flat value. On top of the flat value, he also receives a +10 bonus, equal to +5 for every +7 of the base bonus value. However, he rolled a 1 on his Wild Die, so he subtracts the 1 along with his highest roll out of the other 9D.

I'm making this up as I go along, really. It bears a lot of similarities to the WOTC rules for taking a 10 or taking a 20, but it would certainly make things simpler when dealing with character that are rolling mass amounts of dice every action. Obviously, this isn't going to be something every player will go for, as it will trim a little off the maximum possible value on their dice. However, it will work well for cautious players, as it provides a buffer between them and and abominably bad rolls. Wild dice rolls would affect the results as normal.

Thoughts?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the value would be constant or decide on a roll by roll basis?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
So the value would be constant or decide on a roll by roll basis?

The base value would be constant, and then modified by a reduced dice roll, so that, instead of rolling 9D, you would take the base value of 14 and add the result of a 5D roll to it. The main idea here is to arrive at similar values while reducing the number of dice rolled.

jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question wasn't clear. I understand the mechanic. I mean can you exchange 2d for 7 anytime or just in between adventures? As in if I have 9d in piloting can I throw down 1d + 28 to take off from the starport and roll all 9d (or some other combination) when I take evasive action a few rounds later?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
My question wasn't clear. I understand the mechanic. I mean can you exchange 2d for 7 anytime or just in between adventures? As in if I have 9d in piloting can I throw down 1d + 28 to take off from the starport and roll all 9d (or some other combination) when I take evasive action a few rounds later?

I would make it a permanent rule, that a character can't switch back and forth between the two.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you progress via character point training after the sacrifice is made? Do you spend the points to raise the "D" stat, or is the original value kept recorded somewhere for someone to spend character points according to the total before dice split skill?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
How do you progress via character point training after the sacrifice is made? Do you spend the points to raise the "D" stat, or is the original value kept recorded somewhere for someone to spend character points according to the total before dice split skill?

You would keep track of the base D number as normal, and use it for stat progression, but you would use this rule for the actual rolls.

Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like a bit too much book keeping for me.

I don't disagree that they should be held accountable for their total dice levels, but now you're talking about keeping track of two values, one for progression, and one for actual rolls.

The character sheet as we know it is too small for that much.

I am thinking that I might start using the idea for NPC rolls, to smooth out encounter difficulties. Stormtrooper blaster: 2D+7 (+2D against moving targets). Giving a range of 19 - 31 in max shot roll. Not bad for a mook. It's sort of a hybrid between what I've been doing currently (setting difficulty numbers and keeping most of my rolls out of it), and full rolling to make all encounters all chance.

Overall, I think it's a pretty good idea. However, I'm sure many will complain.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, if all you want to do is to roll less dice, why not just set fixed D levels where two dice are switched for 7? I dont get why you would want a special character mechanic for this?

I think 8D would be a good level for this to kick in. This means that you at most will roll 7D at any time.

At 8D, roll 6D+7
At 9D, roll 7D+7
At 10D, roll 6D+14
At 11D, roll 7D+14
Etc

This would not be recorded as a skill lever, just a dice rolling mechanic.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Hmm, if all you want to do is to roll less dice, why not just set fixed D levels where two dice are switched for 7? I dont get why you would want a special character mechanic for this?

I think 8D would be a good level for this to kick in. This means that you at most will roll 7D at any time.

At 8D, roll 6D+7
At 9D, roll 7D+7
At 10D, roll 6D+14
At 11D, roll 7D+14
Etc

This would not be recorded as a skill lever, just a dice rolling mechanic.

That would work just as well, and would be less complicated. Of course, you would have to keep pips separate and distinct, so it would look something like 7D+2+7.

Lightsaber combat could be an issue as well, as you would be stacking two values on top of each other. Do you roll a 6D+14, then stack a 7D+7 on top of it, or do you combine the two 13D+21?

Also, I would want to cap the number of dice that could be converted to a flat value in some way. I realize that very few characters make it into the 12D+ range, but I would want to cap the number of dice that could be converted over to no more than half of the total.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any other issues that high-level campaigns face, or is it just the dice mechanics?

On a related note, should there be an expanded Difficulty chart that goes above Heroic, so that we have names like Incredible, Epic or Impossible, instead of just Heroic, Heroic+10, Heroic+20, etc?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things i have always done especially with newbies, or lesser experienced folk, is to give them hints on teh grade of what they are going for. OPPOSED checks only.

So lets say john jedi is whakking on sid sith/ Sid sith attacked first and hit a 49 on his LS roll (neither activated LS combat due to a force dampning aura or sumthin so its just base skill)..
He rolls his parry, and only hits 28. Thats 21 diff, which puts in the beginning of very difficult. I would say to John's player
"the siths blow was very might and most definitely will be circumventing your defense as is."

Or for a blaster/dodge where the opponent (say who is dodging) got better.
pc rolled 9, baddie dodged with 14 (5 diff) that "he somewhat nimbaly dodged around your pitiful attmempt..

That gives them a ;grade; of how many cp may be needed, like
minor - 0 to 4
somewhat - 5-8
good - 9-12
very good - 13 to 16
mightily - 17 to 20
very mightily 21 to 24
Excellently 25 to 30
Superbly 30 to 35
outstanding - 35 and up.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me likey. Sounds a lot more fun and exciting than people getting excited about other people calling out numbers, like a Bingo game or something.

jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Me likey. Sounds a lot more fun and exciting than people getting excited about other people calling out numbers, like a Bingo game or something.

How do you make an old woman curse?

Shout out 'Bingo!'

Very Happy
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

How do you make an old woman curse?

Shout out 'Bingo!'

Very Happy

LMAO. Thanks, j. I needed that.

Since I'm here, what is the highest anyone has seen a difficulty number go above Heroic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: