The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dark side point attonement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dark side point attonement. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Yes for both... I don't really like Metagaming period, even when there is "Potential justification" like the one above having it.
As to him thinking it up (by the dice roll) but the others actually come up with it, i know people IRL who are great coming up with stuff when working together, but are hard pressed to do so when on their own...
So in effect in your game only a player who is good at tactics should run a PC with a tactics skill or leadership position. That kind of limits the play options for the non-military, non-wargame crowd.

So it sounds like the players have to create a plan while in character with their characters physically able to communicate and their ability to plan is limited by both the players' expertise and their characters' skills. Is that correct?

Do you treat all the skills that way or only planning?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as i can.. EG the glib player with the 3d con is not going to get over on the baddie cause the PLAYER can make a very convincing lie.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
As much as i can.. EG the glib player with the 3d con is not going to get over on the baddie cause the PLAYER can make a very convincing lie.
What about the un-glib player with the gambler with a 6D con; how's that work out?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What they roll is what they get. YES good rp (or bad) may apply a modifier to it, but i prefer their stats to actually mean something.. unlike say how in adnd too many people i see play might as well not even have an Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma stat listed since they run themselves.. not a character.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
What about the un-glib player with the gambler with a 6D con; how's that work out?

He'll say something dumb or unconvincing in an attempt to roleplay it, and then he will give up, roll his 6D Con and most likely succeed, so anything he said over the gaming table will have little or no effect on the actual dice roll.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
What they roll is what they get. YES good rp (or bad) may apply a modifier to it, but i prefer their stats to actually mean something.. unlike say how in adnd too many people i see play might as well not even have an Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma stat listed since they run themselves.. not a character.
It seems like you are far more concerned with players who invent dialog, plans, and actions that are above the stats of the character they are playing, than with players who are struggling to invent dialog, plans, and actions that are in line with the (better or good) stats of the character.

Because you are playing in what is essentially a competition environment in Sparks, I can see where that might be natural for that to be a greater concern for you. In my less competitive home games, it's not a problem that comes up much. Having less competive players who understand the difference between IC and OOC makes a big difference and it's not like they can really take the CPs, loot, or characters that they get in my game anywhere else.

For me as a GM a smart player coming up with a brilliant plan for her dumb PC is no more (and no less) a problem than a averagely bright player coming up with a lame plan for his brilliant PC. Both actions break the consistency of the PC for me and are, therefore, a problem.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be true. BUT i do think some of my "mentality" was formed from all the differing gaming groups i have been in over the years. BUT also in which some (not all) seemed to be more playig themselves with a character of different physicals (especially for the overweight and lame) but with their mentals etc.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That might be true. BUT i do think some of my "mentality" was formed from all the differing gaming groups i have been in over the years. BUT also in which some (not all) seemed to be more playig themselves with a character of different physicals (especially for the overweight and lame) but with their mentals etc.
Yeah, I find that less interesting.

Interestingly enough, I find that the less focused I am on how good the players' tactics are when I GM, the less my style tends to attract and evoke that sort of behavior from the players.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. the more i seem to showcase that i am into XX, the more that players i get look to be that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: