The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

New Attribute?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> New Attribute? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I believe the military is cultural, as well as pertaining to the culture it is made from. So I would say there is a military specialization of Cultures.

(Did that make sense... it seemed to in my head....)

Made sense to me. Smile

I see what your getting at. I was looking at it from a perspective of the more general military perspective in the sense that the Alliance / Republic and the Empire draw their recruits from a variety of different cultures, instilling a new cultural attitude that is separate and distinct from that of the world or species into which the character was born (more so with the Empire than the Alliance, but still a definite factor either way).

This could tie in with an idea that I had on another thread; the idea of having mandatory skill levels go hand in hand with the character's rank in their organization. For instance, for a character to be promoted from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Commander, the character would have to have specific dice ranks in, say, Command, Tactics, Cultures: Military (just some random examples off the top of my head). The character would either have to have skill dice at a certain level in those skills to go hand-in-hand with the new rank, or would have to raise them to those levels at the nearest opportunity.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have our own subculture, but my reading of the Cultures skill is somethng different than knowing what that is. I can see it being part of say scholar - mil subculture.. Poss even law enforcement-rebel mil. but not based just on the cultures skill..

BUT this is right now going off what i remember the culture skill as being.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
We do have our own subculture, but my reading of the Cultures skill is somethng different than knowing what that is. I can see it being part of say scholar - mil subculture.. Poss even law enforcement-rebel mil. but not based just on the cultures skill..

BUT this is right now going off what i remember the culture skill as being.

Star Wars RPG Rulebook wrote:

Cultures
Time Taken: One round to one day or longer.
Specializations: Planet or social group—Corellians, Alderaan royal family, Brentaal, Prexian pirates.

This skill reflects knowledge of particular cultures and common cultural forms (primitive tribal civilizations tend to be somewhat similar, for example). Cultures allows a character to determine how he is expected to behave in a particular situation among a certain group of individuals. The more obscure the information or culture, the higher the difficulty. Cultural knowledge includes information about a certain group's art, history, politics, customs, rites of passage, and views on outsiders.

From my read, Cultures looks like it is a fit for any social group or situation, with the Difficulty level primarily affected by the obscurity of the aforementioned group or situation.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. Don't have my book here (which is strange as it was one of the only PDF's that got corrupted when i transfered them from my desk top to the laptop..)

So with that write up in mind.. My objection to a Military branch specific specialty for Cultures is removed.. BUT it would be specific to a branch of the mil..
IE Imp navy
Reb army
CSA airforce
and so on.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
So with that write up in mind.. My objection to a Military branch specific specialty for Cultures is removed.. BUT it would be specific to a branch of the mil..
IE Imp navy
Reb army
CSA airforce
and so on.

Works for me. Although it could be argued that military organizations would have some basic similarities, especially with the number of Imperial military defectors found serving the Alliance (that might just be a special case, but it's worth considering).

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see it where someone who WAS a mil from a different fleet, can apply -2d to their skill to their new one (or 1d over base know which ever is higher)
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I could see it where someone who WAS a mil from a different fleet, can apply -2d to their skill to their new one (or 1d over base know which ever is higher)

So, what should the baseline be? Should it be some kind of sliding scale that provides a flat bonus to another skill, like Enhance Attribute?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest.. Cultures and Alie species are 2 of the base knowledge skills imo that COULD have done with a chart of what you get out of certain rolls.
Especially for things such as First aid/Medicine for AS..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
To be honest.. Cultures and Alie species are 2 of the base knowledge skills imo that COULD have done with a chart of what you get out of certain rolls.
Especially for things such as First aid/Medicine for AS..

The other side of this coin is that you could also impose penalties to other skills for failed Knowledge rolls. A failed Cultures or Alien Species roll could have you working off false information on Medicine / First Aid, or any of the Persuasion, Con or Intimidation skills...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which i already mentioned above.. with the lacking it giving medicine/first aid penalties...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Which i already mentioned above.. with the lacking it giving medicine/first aid penalties...

If you want to carry it that far, Alien Species could carry over into combat, as well, since a knowledge of alien anatomy can help you to hit vital points rather than just hacking away at random.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So should there be rules for each Knowledge skill or should it just be basic scale chart, along the lines of:

Knowledge skill roll vs. Difficulty result:

-21 or greater = -3D on skill roll
-11 to -20 = -2D on skill roll
0 to -10 = -1D on skill roll
0 to +5 = No bonuses or penalties
+6 to +15 = +1D on skill roll
+16 to +25 = +2D on skill roll
+26 or greater = +3D on skill roll.

With a baseline chart, all you would need then would be rules defining what Knowledge skills could be rolled to apply bonuses to which other skills.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was going that route, i would have it where each one that could "synergy" with other skills would have a baseline then mods.

Alien species - synergied into combat skills (knowing where to hit), medic skills, and con/bargain.
NO AS skill = -2d to synergied skill against aliens.
AS roll = v.easy = normal roll of synergied skill
As roll of easy = +1 to synergied roll
AS roll of moderate = +2 to synergied roll
AS roll of Difficult +1d to synergied roll
AS roll of V/Diff = +1d+1 to synergied roll
AS roll of heroic = +1d+2 to synergied roll

for example.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
If i was going that route, i would have it where each one that could "synergy" with other skills would have a baseline then mods.

I was thinking something more along the lines of a general bonus / penalty chart that could be applied to all Knowledge skills, and then we would just have to delineate what Knowledge skills could be applied to the other skills. Your version would work, but it would need to be worded so that it wasn't Alien Species specific, to avoid any confusion.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along these lines, should there be another Knowledge skill to cover Technology? This would be something along the lines of a skill to cover someone who is well-read in the capabilities and parameters of equipment, without actually knowing how to repair it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: