The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Expanded Pickpocket Skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Expanded Pickpocket Skill Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the handcuffs I think of it like this: you use security to pick handcuffs, but to pick your own handcuffs you need a security and a pickpocket (or dex) roll for the precise movements.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or a separate skill called Escape Artist that covers both escaping from bonds and applying them securely to others.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Here's a thought. For the various Technical skills, should there be modifiers applied for the level of tools used? I read somewhere (Platt's Smuggler's Guide I think) that different pieces of starship security devices had set difficulties to break, but IMO, that would vary based on the tools the character used. A starship thief who didn't have his specialized tools on him might be able to, in a pinch, use basic or improvised tools to perform the job at higher difficulty.

By the same token, you could augment the difficulty to break certain security systems by making the Difficulty level based solely on the use of a specialized and exotic tool needed to break in. The character wouldn't be able to even attempt the roll without acquiring the needed piece of equipment, which could be a whole 'nother adventure itself.

I could see that.. Like in ADND where a thief trying to open a lock without his thief picks operates at -15% iirc...
Say use of proper tools - standard check
Use of specific tools for that job +1d
Don't have tools - -2d...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Which is why I like Comp prog/rep as is. I have even changed it back to Droid prog/rep. and also Starship Piloting.

It certainly seems like it should be the same number of skills for programming and repairing computers and for droids, i.e. either it's Comp Prog/Rep and Droid Prog/Rep or its Comp Prog, Comp Rep, Droid Prog, Droid Rep. I still like Starfighter piloting being different that Freighter Piloting, I guess mostly because I like the idea that (setting Jedi skills aside) Han can't fly an X-wing as well as Luke and Luke can't fly a freighter as well as Han.

But I understand and generally accept the notion that general skills are better in genres such as Space Opera.

Similarly, if I recall, 007 lumped drive car and drive motor boat into the same skill bucket of drive. Gosh how my Call of Cthulhu mastery level driver wished CoC did that too so he could drive speedboats like crazy. Rolling Eyes
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Pick pockets already allows the above 1-6. Since its write up says it can be used for simple sleight of hand tricks.
As to lockpicking, that is the pervue of security.
Nit picky point, but I think it allows 1-7, though I might consider 7 as two rolls. For example to swamp one comlink for another roll first to lift the target's comlink and a second roll to plant the new comlink on the target.

Agree in SW locks are seldom the fairly simple mechanical constructs we see in Fantasy or Wild West stories. So the security skill works for me. If the character wants lock picking without the other aspects of security that's what specialization can be for e.g. Security: Lockpicking.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Nit picky point, but I think it allows 1-7, though I might consider 7 as two rolls. For example to swamp one comlink for another roll first to lift the target's comlink and a second roll to plant the new comlink on the target.

I've seen a guy do this once in real life and quite a few times on TV, and it really should be one roll at higher difficulty; the person is essentially picking something up and dropping something else in its place in the same action, not splitting it into two.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
I've seen a guy do this [#7] once in real life and quite a few times on TV, and it really should be one roll at higher difficulty; the person is essentially picking something up and dropping something else in its place in the same action, not splitting it into two.
Well in real life I've only had #6 followed by #3 practiced on me. And the perpetrator got the item, but failed to be unobserved as it were. I caught his hand in my pocket. Evil or Very Mad

The advantage I saw to two rolls was you could allow the player to half succeed.

GM: You've got the Admiral's ID, but you haven't planted the bogus ID that your forger created from the ID from that Naval LT. you captured last week. As soon as the Admiral tries to key the turbolift he will notice he doesn't have his ID.

However either two rolls or one roll at higher difficulty simulates for me the increased difficulty of doing the switch over just lifting the item w/o replacement.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
However either two rolls or one roll at higher difficulty simulates for me the increased difficulty of doing the switch over just lifting the item w/o replacement.

If I were to GM it, I would require one roll at higher diff, then perhaps allow a second roll to make a "recovery" drop in the event of a screw-up on the first. It might be a good general rule to allow the sleight-of-hand artist be able to make a re-roll at higher difficulty to recover from a fumble without anyone noticing (might be a good time for CP or FP use, depending on how critical the moment is).

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Bren wrote:

If I were to GM it, I would require one roll at higher diff, then perhaps allow a second roll to make a "recovery" drop in the event of a screw-up on the first. It might be a good general rule to allow the sleight-of-hand artist be able to make a re-roll at higher difficulty to recover from a fumble without anyone noticing (might be a good time for CP or FP use, depending on how critical the moment is).

That is how i have run it in the past. fail the initial one, you can make 1 ;reactionary; roll at a higher diff to catch it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: