The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Alternate Space Combat Rules
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Alternate Space Combat Rules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Being able to shoot down missiles could also be a reason why some starfighters are equipped with lasers and others with blasters. Blasters could have a higher fire-rate and thus be able to engage missiles more effectively simply by dint of volume of fire.

We have read in several novels where someone shoots down an incomming missile..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
We have read in several novels where someone shoots down an incomming missile..

The only one I can think of for sure was in I, Jedi, where Corran Horn shot down a proton torpedo. What were the others?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the xwing novel starfighters of adumar and isards revenge had a clip. and 2 or 3 of the njo had the same.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I believe the xwing novel starfighters of adumar and isards revenge had a clip. and 2 or 3 of the njo had the same.

Ok, I remember the one from Isard's Revenge. But I think its important to point out that this is almost exclusively something done by either elite pilots or Jedi Knights, so the Difficulty would need to be set pretty high.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

But the missile still have to accelerate.. Lets say that it starts at the speed of the launching ship. This means that they will move 15 space units towards it target. Next round it will move 30 space units towards its target, etc. You could lower the speed somewhat, but then the missile would have trouble catching up with really fast fighters.

The problem hereis the fairly short sensor ranges. Most starfighters can't "see" beyond a range of 30, so the missile has a big advantage. Double so since lasters and blasters require a fighter to get in closein order to attack.

What tends to happen is that even a fast fighter will have problems getting away unless it ust happens to be fleeing at high speed when the missle is launched. If the fighter is closing on a target, outrunning the missle is practically a no go.

The key things are sequencing and turning. While a fighter going at 40 is supposedly moving throught the turn, the wayit plays out, if said fighter is only 2 spaces away when a missle is fired, said missle only has to move 2 sqaures to reach it's target. Even if the missle is only moving 2 and fired on the tail of the Move 40 fighter.

ZzaphodD wrote:

Id say a missile can do an 'attack' while doing all out movement. To be fair all it has to do is to fly at the target...and its dedicated to doing only that.
[/quote]

I'd be inclined to switch back to 2E movement, or at least ditch the aoo out can only move" rule. After all, Luke could do the trench run on the Death Star "at full throttle".

One other little problem with missiles is that they are probably too easy to avoid in D6. If a pilot is good enough, he can make a high dodge roll, and pretty much ignore the missile, making all the dogfighting missile rules moot. Just like how in D&D somebody who makes hier save can stand right in the middle o a area effect spell, and walk out unscathed. .There is no in game rationale for evasing maneuvering if the dodge roll does it all.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

Yes, we have to remember that starfighters are supposed to be able to take a few hits and stay operational, which isnt the case with 'real' fighters.
[/quote]

Are they? I'm not so sure. What it looks like to me is that fighters are pretty fragile, unless thay are being flown by a significant character. Then they are rugged and can soak lots of damage.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Excellent! Well, it seems like you have a set of folks interested in discussing the numbers on homing missiles. Since I don't really want my SF combat to look like a scene in Top Gun or Iron Eagle VII, I think I'll bow out of this discussion. Wink

What? And leave me all alone to work my way through all the FlaK? Wink

Homing misslies are but one topic on this thread. One that sort of fits, too, considering that homing missles are used in Episode II. I don't think we are in danger of turning Star Wars into Ion Eagle. The missles just don't seem to be that widestrpead.

Once again, alling back to real world analoges, I suspect that dogfighting missles are probably rare and not that relaible. Much like in the real world during the 50s and 60s. Hence the reason why we don't see them used much in all those space battles.

That erms such as bombs and torpedoes are used also suggests that not all "missles" are fast moving dogfighters.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Yes, we have to remember that starfighters are supposed to be able to take a few hits and stay operational, which isnt the case with 'real' fighters.

Are they? I'm not so sure. What it looks like to me is that fighters are pretty fragile, unless thay are being flown by a significant character. Then they are rugged and can soak lots of damage.[/quote]

Well, just look at the stats for X-wings etc.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Well, just look at the stats for X-wings etc.

Very true. With scale modifiers factored in, an unshielded X-Wing is as durable as an AT-AT.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAMMING SPEED...
But iirc the ranges of the Xwings weaponry are longer than an At-at..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
RAMMING SPEED...
But iirc the ranges of the Xwings weaponry are longer than an At-at..

Which is one of the reasons I think WEG shafted Walker-Scale vehicles on the scale system, then completely butchered the scale system with exceptions.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think walkers should be bigger scale than fighters?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

At the very least, they should be equal. IMO, a walker is comparable to a space transport, and without the need for the sublight and hyperdrives or the specialized environmental gear needed for space flight, a walker should be able to tack on even more armor than the average assault shuttle.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

At the very least, they should be equal. IMO, a walker is comparable to a space transport, and without the need for the sublight and hyperdrives or the specialized environmental gear needed for space flight, a walker should be able to tack on even more armor than the average assault shuttle.
For an AT-AT equal does kind of make sense. No way for an AT-ST though. Given how much speeder scale overlaps character scale, it might actually make more sense to have
character scale +0D (and speeder bikes should be character scale)
speeder scale +3D (land speeders, repulsor tanks, AT-STs)
AT-AT/SF scale +6D (AT-ATs, X-wings, YT-1300s)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree to dat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: