The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Magnify Senses & Shift Senses
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Magnify Senses & Shift Senses Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought the reason Jedi lacked the increased sensitivities that enhancing a sense would bring was due to the way the sense was enhanced. If it just increased your visual acuity (in the case of sight) then sure but I imagine it just feeds the sensory data into your mind directly through the force rather than bothering with any of the biological processes involved.

Similar to the way computer enhancement of images is shown to work on shows like CSI. This means that things that would cause a sensory overload are just recieved as data by the brain rather than overwhelming any nerve systems.

Being better able to detect toxins wouldn't make you inhale more so things like nerve gas wouldn't be any more effective but being sprayed by a skunk would certainly be much worse for those with an enhanced sense of smell.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While i can see that for poisons, i also think that they should have some downside for having a heightened sniffer when toxins are around.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
While i can see that for poisons, i also think that they should have some downside for having a heightened sniffer when toxins are around.

Maybe for something like tear gas or pepper spray that specifically attacks the senses, but the poisonous effect of most toxins is based on parts per million of intake, not how well someone can or can't smell the toxin itself. This power only changes the threshold of awareness, not the volume of intake. The adept isn't taking more in, he is just more sensitive to a volume that would've been undetectable otherwise.

And even if he is more vulnerable to certain chemicals, a quick Detoxify Poisons roll will take care of that.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
Similar to the way computer enhancement of images is shown to work on shows like CSI. This means that things that would cause a sensory overload are just recieved as data by the brain rather than overwhelming any nerve systems.

Being better able to detect toxins wouldn't make you inhale more so things like nerve gas wouldn't be any more effective but being sprayed by a skunk would certainly be much worse for those with an enhanced sense of smell.

That was part of why I included general modifiers for interference, based on how "crowded" the sensory field was. With a +30 modifier for overwhelming, a Jedi could potentially filter out an overpowering sensory input, like a flashbang grenade or getting sprayed by a skunk, but at increased difficulty.

Perhaps I could change the description of the power to allow the character to make a reaction roll against sensory shock. Just not quite sure how to word it.

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

On the other hand they should be able to pick up faint traces of the toxin, perhaps even before its released and concentrated to a dangerous level. Much like a trained dog can detect drugs wrapped in watertight plastics inside the gastank of a car.

Also, the toxin is not dangerous becuase its smells so bad, its a concentration of chemicals that affect the body. For substances that affect through their bad smell it might make sense, but again the jedi should be able to pick up on them early enough to drop the power in that case.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

And even if he is more vulnerable to certain chemicals, a quick Detoxify Poisons roll will take care of that.

True dat.. BUT you would be surprised how few players i have had who were force users who actually TOOK that power.

Quote:
On the other hand they should be able to pick up faint traces of the toxin, perhaps even before its released and concentrated to a dangerous level. Much like a trained dog can detect drugs wrapped in watertight plastics inside the gastank of a car.

I could see that for some.. like the skunk above...

Say +10 diff for natural 'chemical agents from animals, +20 for port hand held devices (pepper spray) etc.. if successful, you can act to defend against it prior to getting sprayed..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
I've always thought the reason Jedi lacked the increased sensitivities that enhancing a sense would bring was due to the way the sense was enhanced. If it just increased your visual acuity (in the case of sight) then sure but I imagine it just feeds the sensory data into your mind directly through the force rather than bothering with any of the biological processes involved.

Excellent point, although I hadn't considered it quite that way. After all, if all this power was doing was increasing the sensitivity of the adept's normal senses, this would be a Control power, not a Sense one. Having the sensory input actually bypass the character's normal senses as you describe would actually be a protective barrier of sorts, almost like Auto-Senses in WH40K.

However, if a character was combining Enhance Attribute with Perception, they would be more vulnerable to sensory shock attacks because the Force is enhancing their actual senses rather than bypassing them.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
if a character was combining Enhance Attribute with Perception, they would be more vulnerable to sensory shock attacks because the Force is enhancing their actual senses rather than bypassing them.

Exactly!

However one of the issues with using the power as I describe is that someone could make an argument for a blind Jedi being able to 'see' through the use of this power.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
However one of the issues with using the power as I describe is that someone could make an argument for a blind Jedi being able to 'see' through the use of this power.

I have no problem with that. I've been considering a power called Sixth Sense, which would allow a Jedi to perceive things normally if one or more of his primary senses were blocked (either permanently or temporarily). There are examples in the SWU of Jedi who function without penalty even though they are blind, and such an ability would be a perfect explanation.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that how those near humans (the ones with the blindfolds all the time) see??
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
In our group we are all a bunch of 40-ish year olds and play RPGs (only SW and WFRP) to get 'the old gang' together for some easy going male bonding (we have all known each other since the beginning of the 90s and need a common interest to stay in touch).
Our group is somewhat similar except that we are older and include both genders. And several players and one co-GM really don't care much about rules, preferring more of a roleplaying or narrative style.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The one thing some other game systems have that i wish SW did, was when using "enhanced" sight/smell/hearing etc, while it DID grant a lot more info, it also left you vunerable.

We assume and play that this is the case. Enhance your night vision and suddenly get hit with a bright light - ouch! Similarly if you enhance hearing to overhear a far away conversation and BOOM! an explosion goes off near you.

crmcneill wrote:
Personally, though, my take on Danger Sense is that the character would get some sort of advance notice.

Assuming of course that they know the danger sense power.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or they have it active.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Or they have it active.

Yep.

Though we also sometimes allow a Force User's player to make a Danger Sense roll at a higher difficulty when the power is not active. Whether to allow the roll is at the GM's option. Since Force User PCs will roll Sense fairly often to get additional information, the request to "make a Sense roll" doesn't immediately tip the player off that the PC has just walked into an ambush.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Though we also sometimes allow a Force User's player to make a Danger Sense roll at a higher difficulty when the power is not active. Whether to allow the roll is at the GM's option. Since Force User PCs will roll Sense fairly often to get additional information, the request to "make a Sense roll" doesn't immediately tip the player off that the PC has just walked into an ambush.

Here. See the third post down for my Danger Sense rules that do just that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: