The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for Dun Moch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for Dun Moch Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Rules for Dun Moch Reply with quote

As part of my Lightsaber Combat revamp, I've been trying to think up a good rule for Dun Moch, as it does seem to be a part of most every Sith Lord's combat strategy (save for Darth Maul). It would be simple enough to simply combine Persuasion with Enhance Attribute, but that feels too simplistic for me. Dun Moch seems to be primarily based on the Sith Lord sensing their opponent's weakness through some Sense power variation, then using that information to taunt and goad their opponent into rash action. In some ways, it's almost like a variation on Shatterpoint, in that a Sith Lord can sense his opponent's weakness and capitalize on it through spoken word.

In point of fact, every canon lightsaber duel between a Jedi and a Sith was as much psychological as physical, with one or both duelists using Sense-assisted persuasion to one degree or another. Even Maul, who never said a single word during the E1 duel, was still taunting Qui-gon and Obi-wan with his facial expressions, unnecessary flourishes and displays of Force power.

I want to integrate the Dun Moch concept with my Willpower DSP rule, and the rule is currently in progress, so mostly what I'm looking for here is ideas to help me bring the concept into better fruition.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
hazardchris
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules for Niman in the Lightsaber Styles PDF might be a good place to start. Here's the relevant text:

Quote:
Form VI also includes stares, postures and screams that draw upon the diplomatic skills of a Jedi enabling him to “persuade” opponents that surrender would be the best solution. Due to the rather defensive nature of Form VI users of that power gain +2 to defence rolls, while attack rolls suffer a –2 penalty. Additionally the Niman user receives a number of boni for equalling one point per Persuasion or Intimidation use ( that has to be chosen when the Form is learned first ). These bonuses may be distributed to attack or parry rolls during one combat ( with a maximum of four per roll ).
Example: Jedi Knight Deck Star-Karian has a skill of Persuasion 4D+2 and Intimidation 5D. He decides to base his Niman-style on a more peaceful approach, thus he will use the Persuasion skill and therefore gets 4 bonus points. Later he enters a combat with four Gamorrean mercenaries. He parries an attack and takes two of the bonus points and then attacks two of the mercs, each with a +1 bonus.

Let me make you a picture!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i have read on the Dun mock (dim mack) have it as an actual death touch..not just a taunt/insight into weakness...

So if i Was to come up with something for it..

Dim Mach/Dun mock (death touch).
This estoric and powerful martial art strike is the most feared, as it allows the martial artist to literally 'explode hearts/heads' and decide when a target hit with it dies...
Requires (A) martial arts at a min of 10d with all other special maneuvers the style teaches to have been learned (if using maneuvers out of rules of engagement). The prospective 'student' then must spend 30cp and 6 months of game time learning it, and succeed on a knowledge roll at difficult to gain the capacity to use this power.
Game effects: Once learned a jedi or other martial artist who knows this can strike a target (normal martial art roll to hit) and must immediately spend a force point to set up the 'rhythms of death' in someone. He can choose, based on the below chart, any point from Instant to the max duration listed, to have "Death" come to the target. High strength, willpower or other "soaking methods" do NOT stop this happening.
When he hits, and after the above FP is spent, a 'contest of 'SOULS" happens where the Dim mack user rolls his Control (or perception) +1d per FP the user posesses. (NOTE each DSP the user posesses adds 2d, but accepting this bonus instantly gives the user another dark side point. IF he refuses the bonus, each DSP posessed removes 1d).
The target resists with perception (or alter) +1d per force point he possesses. The
0-5 diff = target can be 'killed' within 1 minute of strike'
6-10 diff = target can be killed up to 1 hour after strike.
11-15 diff = target can be killed up to 6 hours after strike, can be called off
16-20 diff = target can be killed up to 24 hours after strike. CAN BE "called off at Dim mack users decision"
21-25 diff = Target can be killed up to 48 hrs after strike, can be called off at any time
26-30 diff = target can be killed up to 96 hrs after strike. can be called off

Note i give a 'calling it off' ability as many sources i have read, seems to indicate the monk who hit you has some control over when/if you die.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
All i have read on the Dun mock (dim mack) have it as an actual death touch..not just a taunt/insight into weakness...

So if i Was to come up with something for it..

Uhhhhhhhhhh......

Not exactly what I was thinking. Here's some reading for you, Garhkal:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dun_Moch

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_Mak

Two completely different concepts. Although I did have an idea a little while back to make a "Dim Mak"-esque variation on Injure/Kill by allowing the Injure/Kill-using character to delay the reaction by a certain period of time, depending on how well he rolled. Great technique for an assassin, to have your target drop dead a week after you actually killed him...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
The rules for Niman in the Lightsaber Styles PDF might be a good place to start. Here's the relevant text:

Quote:
Form VI also includes stares, postures and screams that draw upon the diplomatic skills of a Jedi enabling him to “persuade” opponents that surrender would be the best solution. Due to the rather defensive nature of Form VI users of that power gain +2 to defence rolls, while attack rolls suffer a –2 penalty. Additionally the Niman user receives a number of boni for equalling one point per Persuasion or Intimidation use ( that has to be chosen when the Form is learned first ). These bonuses may be distributed to attack or parry rolls during one combat ( with a maximum of four per roll ).
Example: Jedi Knight Deck Star-Karian has a skill of Persuasion 4D+2 and Intimidation 5D. He decides to base his Niman-style on a more peaceful approach, thus he will use the Persuasion skill and therefore gets 4 bonus points. Later he enters a combat with four Gamorrean mercenaries. He parries an attack and takes two of the bonus points and then attacks two of the mercs, each with a +1 bonus.

I have something similar written up for the Seven Forms in my Dueling Blades upgrade, where Niman practitioners receive a bonus to Persuasion.

The basic idea that is coming to form in my mind is something of an expansion of my Willpower and DSPs concept. I think that the idea behind Dun Moch is that the Sith Lord will be trying to illicit a specific emotional response from his opponent, be that anger, fear or despair. I know other RPGs have rules for mandatory psychological effects, and this might be a good place to bring that into SW. Here's a few basic psychological effects that have crossed my mind

Anger/Hatred
Fear/Panic
Despair
Confusion
Bravery
Friendship
Attraction
Distrust
Aversion

This is just a basic list. I can see only a few of these being used by a practitioner of Dun Moch, but they would open up a lot of possibilities for Affect Mind adepts. Naturally, characters would be able to roll Control, Perception or Willpower to resist these effects, but failure would result in the character fully succumbing to Affect Mind.

As far as Dun Moch, the Sith Lord would declare which psychological effect he was trying for, and then roll his Persuasion skill, augmented either by Enhance Attribute or some future rules for Dun Moch. The character would resist with his Willpower (also enhanced, if the character is a Jedi). If the Sith Lord succeeds, the character is subject to the psychological effect and is bound to behave within the parameters described by said psychological effect. If the target wins, they resist the attack, and things continue as normal.

Possible Modifiers:
On a Wild Dice success or failure, the Jedi finds a fatal logical error in the Sith Lord's manipulative statements and issues a stinging retort. The Sith Lord cannot attempt to use Dun Moch to achieve that psychological effect for the remainder of the duel, and is at -1D to attempt any others.

Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having read the Wookieepedia description for Dun Moch and whittling it down to its core (which I believe to be: The practitioner attempts to use his target's emotions to disrupt his concentration) this is what I'd do.

Run Lightsaber Combat as normal if the practitioner hits his opponent then rather than rolling damage he rolls just his control but the target does not soak with his strength+amour he soaks with his willpower.

This represents the practitioner taunting his opponent and causing humiliating, painful minor injuries that inflame the target's emotions but cause no real lasting damage. In my mind if you're actually looking to kill someone then you should use some other form Dun Moch is about corruption not killing.

For every 2 points that the practitioner beats the targets soak apply a one pip penalty to all of the target's actions, they do not apply to automatic actions such as soak and willpower tests however. These penalties are cumulative so a drawn out battle can result in the target racking up a large number of penalties. The penalties stack like regular pips so every three penalty pips becomes one die.

If the amount of penalties ever equals or exceeds the targets willpower score then the target is utterly demoralized and treated as incapacitated. They may not act at all while they are incapacitated but every round they are incapacitated the penalty is lowered by one pip and if the penalty drops below the character's willpower score they may act again.

In this way a Jedi being targeted can be worn down and captured, dispatched or perhaps even just further tormented once he has lost the will to fight but if the practitioner is unable to capitalize on his success, perhaps because there are multiple combatants then the Jedi may be able to recover.

At any point during the combat before he becomes incapacitated the target may call on the dark side. If he does so successfully then he gains all the benefits of calling on the Dark Side and the penalties accrued are not applied during the round he calls on the Dark Side.

This represents the practitioner's taunts causing a complete (but perhaps momentary) complete lack of control and it also demonstrates the risks of Dun Moch, a prolonged psychological assault can result in the target being broken down and being able to be remade in your own image but it could also result in the target snapping and using all the emotions the practitioner stirred up to strike him down.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Esoomian's idea and I think it captures the advantages and disadvantages of the evil guys taunting the heroes, One concern is it potentially requires tracking a lot of pips. (Though I am also certain this will actually increase the appeal for some on the forum. Laughing )

I wonder if there is a way to treat it more like wounds in Star Wars combat rather than like hit points? Possibly just tracking in whole Ds rather than in pips?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the wound system I've proposed is quite cumbersome.

My idea still needs some adjustment to be a really workable system so feel free to offer fixes/alterations.

You could just say that every six points the practitioner beats the target results in a one die penalty for the target or just have it use the standard wound chart but treat incapacitated as a much more temporary condition. I suppose killed would have to be treated as something like complete psychological collapse.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
...or just have it use the standard wound chart but treat incapacitated as a much more temporary condition. I suppose killed would have to be treated as something like complete psychological collapse.
Using the wound chart was what I was thinking. Maybe something like take the difference between the attacker's Control Roll and the Target's Willpower and call that the Result

Result.........Effect
0-3............ Stunned
4-8............ -1D penatly to skills for this combat
9-12.......... -2D penalty to skills for this combat
13-15........ -3D penalty to skills for this combat
16+ .......... -4D penalty to skills for this combat

If the amount of penalties ever equals or exceeds the targets willpower score then the target is utterly demoralized and treated as incapacitated.

If the target is incapacitated. They eliminate 1D of penalty for every three rounds they are incapacitated.

Seems like we need a method for them to eliminate penalty if they can get a respite in their combat. Maybe if they are not in combat they can try to roll (unmodified) control or willpower vs. the total penalty and if they succeed they eliminate 1D of penalty.

Thoughts?
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That all seems to work fairly well, I wouldn't have a problem using a system like that in my games.

jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Esoomian wrote:
...or just have it use the standard wound chart but treat incapacitated as a much more temporary condition. I suppose killed would have to be treated as something like complete psychological collapse.
Using the wound chart was what I was thinking. Maybe something like take the difference between the attacker's Control Roll and the Target's Willpower and call that the Result

Result.........Effect
0-3............ Stunned
4-8............ -1D penatly to skills for this combat
9-12.......... -2D penalty to skills for this combat
13-15........ -3D penalty to skills for this combat
16+ .......... -4D penalty to skills for this combat

If the amount of penalties ever equals or exceeds the targets willpower score then the target is utterly demoralized and treated as incapacitated.

If the target is incapacitated. They eliminate 1D of penalty for every three rounds they are incapacitated.

Seems like we need a method for them to eliminate penalty if they can get a respite in their combat. Maybe if they are not in combat they can try to roll (unmodified) control or willpower vs. the total penalty and if they succeed they eliminate 1D of penalty.

Thoughts?

Maybe they eliminate penalty dice by succeeding in combat which would raise their morale. Each success gains back +1d.

I may be off base, just spit-balling.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I considered something like that but then I decided that unless the target is also using Dun Moch (or the rare reverse Dun Moch) then succeeding in combat is going to result in an injury for the Dun Moch practioner. It seemed like too much to also give the target psychological reinforcement as well.

I quite like the idea but if it's a side effect of winning then it detracts from the viability of Dun Moch as a combat style and if it gives the target a free action willpower roll to counteract some of the penalties then it could quickly end up being too much dice rolling.

Last edited by Esoomian on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Glowie
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is only touching on the demoralizing aspect. It seems like there's also a corruption aspect to it too.

It would cool if a result of 16+, or something, taunted the target into gaining a DSP by attacking with anger/fear/aggression.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my personal preference is that the Dark Side point should almost always come down to a player's (not character's but player's) choice.

That's why they can resist Dun Moch by giving in to their rage and in so doing gain a Dark Side Point but just using Dun Moch won't give the target DSPs until you completely collapse their psyche and reshape their world view (a proccess that should take an extended period of time).

Additionally the Wookieepedia description of Dun Moch doesn't really specify corruption per se that's more of a psycological side effect of a prolonged battle of wills on many scales. Dun Moch is about disrupting a target and keeping him distracted and 'off centre' by purposefully attempting to engage the target on an emotional level.

While I have said the incapacitation is a result of demoralization it could be any number of things that caused the incapacitation.

Blue Glowie
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At any point during the combat before he becomes incapacitated the target may call on the dark side. If he does so successfully then he gains all the benefits of calling on the Dark Side and the penalties accrued are not applied during the round he calls on the Dark Side.

Oops, I missed this part at the end there. That works. If I were to use this, I'd probably make calling on the Dark Side wipe out the accrued penalties for good, just to make it more tempting for the target.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: