The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Weapon Emplacements on Starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Weapon Emplacements on Starships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's why i say either come up from the bottom (towards the hanger) or from the top (so the shield globes are in the towers way).

But lacking detailed descriptions of the various capital ship's design weaknesses to work with (thank God, since I don't really feel like doing all that work), it would ultimately come down to a skill roll. The question then becomes, which skill? Tactics? Or would it just be a straight piloting roll?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tactics to me.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Tactics to me.

I agree, but that brings up yet another question. Tactics is almost exclusively a knowledge skill, but some characters who have had plenty of stick time as a starfighter pilot would probably have picked up a lot of "practical tactical" experience just by having survived as long as they have. Do you think there should be rules for characters who have no dice in the Tactics skill, but have plenty of experience in actual combat to be able to roll whichever of their skills is applicable to the combat situation (with a penalty) instead?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope... As a mil member, i can attest just cause some do have those skills does not mean jack when it comes to tactical awareness.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nope... As a mil member, i can attest just cause some do have those skills does not mean jack when it comes to tactical awareness.

Hmm. I'll take your word for it. It's a problem without an easy answer, though. I'm sure there are certain skills with at least some overlap, where knowledge acquired under one skill would be applicable to learning something in a different skill, but the last thing I want to do is start adding in D&D style synergy bonuses.

Here's a thought. I don't want to get too far off-track, but I know that part of advancement in the military involves training for a greater variety of skills, particularly at the officer level. Do you think SW characters who are in the military should occasionally be mandated to put dice in some of their military-oriented skills to reflect that training as they go up in the ranks?

ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
garhkal wrote:
Tactics to me.

I agree, but that brings up yet another question. Tactics is almost exclusively a knowledge skill, but some characters who have had plenty of stick time as a starfighter pilot would probably have picked up a lot of "practical tactical" experience just by having survived as long as they have. Do you think there should be rules for characters who have no dice in the Tactics skill, but have plenty of experience in actual combat to be able to roll whichever of their skills is applicable to the combat situation (with a penalty) instead?

You are thinking about this the wrong way. If they have plenty of 'stick time' they should have picked up the tactics skill, even if its just some specialization covering starfighter combat tactics. If the character/npc 'refuse' to put CPs into tactics his simply ignorant and bound to repeat the same mistake over and over again. Laughing
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Here's a thought. I don't want to get too far off-track, but I know that part of advancement in the military involves training for a greater variety of skills, particularly at the officer level. Do you think SW characters who are in the military should occasionally be mandated to put dice in some of their military-oriented skills to reflect that training as they go up in the ranks?

Yes i do. Heck, one of the older groups i gamed with in Norfolk Va had it where to advance from say Ensign to LT in the sf corps, you had to have a min of (Example) 4d command, 3d+2 tactics, 6d SF piloting, 3d Bureaucracy.. LT to LTCommander, they went to 4d+2/4d+1/6d+2 and 4d...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Yes i do. Heck, one of the older groups i gamed with in Norfolk Va had it where to advance from say Ensign to LT in the sf corps, you had to have a min of (Example) 4d command, 3d+2 tactics, 6d SF piloting, 3d Bureaucracy.. LT to LTCommander, they went to 4d+2/4d+1/6d+2 and 4d...

I replied to this in a new topic entitled Saga Edition Organization Rules.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: