The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Weapon Emplacements on Starships
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Weapon Emplacements on Starships Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That there is..

So. Back to cybernetics.. Anyone ever thought of bringig in the Cyber/Bio ware from Shadow Run?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
Therefore, according to the canon, capital ship combat is almost always fought on a 2D scale, mostly because the crew has an easier time dealing with the situation mentally.

Haha, thats just an excuse for not dealing with the third dimension.

If that were in fact the case, it wouldnt take long for some admiral to think outside the box and train his crew to fight in 3D, wiping out the opponents.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rerun941 wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
If you use 2D miniature map you limit your imagination.

2D or 3D map... doesn't matter. My imagination has no limits.

Exactly why I dont use maps to begin with. Our starfighter sessions look very much like when you were a kid and ran around with fighter models weaving them back and forth in the air. Laughing
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Haha, thats just an excuse for not dealing with the third dimension.

If that were in fact the case, it wouldnt take long for some admiral to think outside the box and train his crew to fight in 3D, wiping out the opponents.

In some ways, they already do. In the X-Wing series, a common tactic in Capital Ship combat, if the ship is about to lose its shield in a threatened fire arc, the captain will roll the ship 180 degree to present a fully charged section of shields to the opponent. At the end of Iron Fist, Han Solo puts the Mon Remonda into a constant roll in combat with the Iron Fist and the Razor's Kiss to help absorb more damage. However, there is little or no evidence in the canon to suggest that combat ever occurred on anything close to perpendicular planes.

What with the RAW and the "roll" technique suggested in the X-wing books, I would almost suggest using something like this as an innovative one-shot tactic that someone like Grand Admiral Thrawn would come up with, but having a ship jump in from hyperspace and engage a target from an angle sharply above or below the existing plane of combat.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That there is..

So. Back to cybernetics.. Anyone ever thought of bringig in the Cyber/Bio ware from Shadow Run?

We had that Wallex Blissex gizmo that gave you +1D, wast that something you put on your head to maneuver with your thoughts?

Other than that, perhaps as some experimental thingie. I mean, if they engage and disengage the hyperspeed with a lever it seems manual it the way to fly.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
What with the RAW and the "roll" technique suggested in the X-wing books, I would almost suggest using something like this as an innovative one-shot tactic that someone like Grand Admiral Thrawn would come up with, but having a ship jump in from hyperspace and engage a target from an angle sharply above or below the existing plane of combat.

I know in some games where we have had lots of freighters/fighters against some imps, we have had some who hypered out, then replotted a microjump in so they would be under or over the imps ship to hit them in an unguarded area..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I know in some games where we have had lots of freighters/fighters against some imps, we have had some who hypered out, then replotted a microjump in so they would be under or over the imps ship to hit them in an unguarded area..

I wouldn't have gone with an unguarded area. I'm betting that, in the canon, most capital ships have weapons coverage in the "above/below" fire arcs, but for simplicity's sake, I would just count them as being in one of the four primary arcs. Unguarded areas would be the areas where the ship has no weapons in that particular fire arc, like the rear arc of an ISD, which only has 10 ion cannon (plus 10 point defense laser cannon if you go that route).

The rule that I'm working on would make it impossible for ships' weaponry to engage smaller scale targets at point-blank range. The theory would be that something as small as a starfighter would be moving too fast for a big CS-scale turbolaser to track it if it were inside the 3 unit point blank range. It would still be able to engage capital-scale targets, but starfighters would have to be engaged by the ship's point defense weaponry.

Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
garhkal wrote:
I can see actually turning things into 6 arcs.
Fore, Aft, Port, Starboard, Top and Bottom.

Yeah, especially for turrets that are often dorsal or ventrally mounted.

When I write out ships to actually use in a game I always note that for turrets. It's especially important for ships the PCs have in case they want to attack ground targets or their ship is attacked while dirtside.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrataria wrote:
When I write out ships to actually use in a game I always note that for turrets. It's especially important for ships the PCs have in case they want to attack ground targets or their ship is attacked while dirtside.

Again, unless you want to come up with a whole new rule system for 3D combat, I usually take the Battlefleet Gothic route and make dorsal (and ventral) mounted weapons either Turrets or weapons that can cover 3 fire arcs.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, I'm thinking that, with turret mounted weapons, there is usually some portion of the ship's hull that gets in the way. I think the best way to deal with this is to leave the weapon's fire arc as Turret, but impose penalties when firing into certain arcs, accounting for the weapon's line of fire potentially being blocked by the body of its own ship.

This might also be something a smart pilot could maximize for his own use. A skilled TIE fighter pilot could line up his attack run on the Millennium Falcon by approaching from the ship's port front corner, staying just above the ship's mid-line. Such an approach would mess up defensive fire from the dorsal quad laser by using the Falcon's sensor dish for cover.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

I wouldn't have gone with an unguarded area. I'm betting that, in the canon, most capital ships have weapons coverage in the "above/below" fire arcs, but for simplicity's sake, I would just count them as being in one of the four primary arcs. Unguarded areas would be the areas where the ship has no weapons in that particular fire arc, like the rear arc of an ISD, which only has 10 ion cannon (plus 10 point defense laser cannon if you go that route).

Maybe they do, but in the RPG the underside of most ships is NOT covered by weaponry.. and since that is what we use, that is what we went by.

crmcneill wrote:

The rule that I'm working on would make it impossible for ships' weaponry to engage smaller scale targets at point-blank range. The theory would be that something as small as a starfighter would be moving too fast for a big CS-scale turbolaser to track it if it were inside the 3 unit point blank range. It would still be able to engage capital-scale targets, but starfighters would have to be engaged by the ship's point defense weaponry.

Quote:

Or they have to make an emergency landing.
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
This might also be something a smart pilot could maximize for his own use. A skilled TIE fighter pilot could line up his attack run on the Millennium Falcon by approaching from the ship's port front corner, staying just above the ship's mid-line. Such an approach would mess up defensive fire from the dorsal quad laser by using the Falcon's sensor dish for cover.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boulton_Paul_Defiant

That is the exact plane that made me interested in specifying turret location.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Unless the Millenium Falcon was moving in a simple straight line with no yaw or rotation, this would be incredibly difficult to line up. But in the movies we clearly see the Millenium Falcon moving in all three dimensions (see ESB in particular).

Maybe if the ship was on autopilot or being flown by C3-P0 the TIE would have a shot. If Han or even Chewie was flying, not too likely.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Unless the Millenium Falcon was moving in a simple straight line with no yaw or rotation, this would be incredibly difficult to line up. But in the movies we clearly see the Millenium Falcon moving in all three dimensions (see ESB in particular).

Maybe if the ship was on autopilot or being flown by C3-P0 the TIE would have a shot. If Han or even Chewie was flying, not too likely.

Perhaps it wasn't the best example, but the core idea is sound. It would be best applied for starfighters attacking capital ships, which would be less likely to be able to maneuver for a shot.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why i say either come up from the bottom (towards the hanger) or from the top (so the shield globes are in the towers way).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: