The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tector-Class Star Destroyer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Tector-Class Star Destroyer Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. I'll check it out.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the stats, but I might just as well put it in a separate thread... "the Alpha-class star destroyer"
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Post removed and condensed into this post to avoid material duplication.}

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.. though i might add a flaw with that resonance device in that say if you get 2 straight rounds of operation with a 1 on the wild die, it gets say a blowback on itself, damaging the unit and possibly the ship.
Fallon Kell
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
schnarre wrote:
...The Tector is basically an Imperial without the fighter capacity or any other frills. It was specially designed for Capital Ship Combat, so the craft had heavier armor & more firepower--though considering the limited number of Capital ships among the Rebellion, the Tector is a bit over-specialized.

...If memory serves someone actually did D20 stats for that craft on the WOTC site--not sure if it's still accessible, but if so it could probably be converted easily enough.

I recall reading that somewhere, but the description just doesn't fit with the description of Sector Groups in the Imperial Sourcebook. By the reasoning found there and other places, an ISD was more than capable of handling the superiority missions required of it, so why would they need a Tector-Class at all, unless it was for something else?
Some of the Core Worlds purportedly had some really massive ships at their disposal. I remember reading something recently about Corellia having its own defense fleet staffed with 3,500 meter warships. A Tector-class could exist simply to keep the idea of getting out of line from occurring to those big players. Or they could exist not for the subjugation of the galaxy, but actually to protect the Empire from the possibility of external threat. Either of these situations could explain the existence of a rare dedicated battleship class in the Imperial navy.

Regarding stats, and operating on the assumption that the Tector-class is the dedicated battleship it is purported to be, I would say that it should get +1D hull, +2D shields and 1 or 2 space speed over an ISD. It should have larger, more powerful, perhaps longer–ranged guns, but not more of them. Perhaps fewer.

Complete Starship Construction System
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be room for that kind of ship in the Imperial Fleet, but I'm pretty far past the basic concept phase for this ship.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Nice.. though i might add a flaw with that resonance device in that say if you get 2 straight rounds of operation with a 1 on the wild die, it gets say a blowback on itself, damaging the unit and possibly the ship.

Seems fair that there be some sort of glitch, as it is still technically an experimental weapon. Maybe on a Wild Die the system suffers some sort of feedback disruption and loses 1D of the accumulated damage, and on a second consecutive failure, the array shuts down for 1D rounds and must restart the firing process over again.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at my ship, the Sideliner, for how i handled the experimental "Kelkon net" tractor beam array..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Take a look at my ship, the Sideliner, for how i handled the experimental "Kelkon net" tractor beam array..

Link?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1137&highlight=sideliner
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Certainly a platform with a very narrowly defined mission.

My tractor beam fix was to allow them to fire in wide angle or tight beam mode, essentially allowing the gunner to pick between Starfighter and Capital Scale.

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came across this version of the Star Destroyer and did not see where anyone had done the stats for it yet so I created them. Then I found that cermcneill had done them. Imagine my chagrin. Then I started taking a closer look and compared the information from several sources and found my design was radically different.

Now not to start another thread and muddy information I chose to post to the original thread. The stats for this ship are not meant to replace those done by crmcneill. I offer these up for an interesting comparison and constructive criticisms.

Tector-class Star Destroyer
Craft: Rendili StarDrive's Trector
Type: Tector-class Star Destroyer
Era: Rise of the Empire (22 BBY), Rebellion
Affiliation: Galactic Republic, Galactic Empire, Imperial Remnant
Source: Wookieepedia, stats by +Oliver Queen
Scale: Capital
Length: 1,600 meters
Skill: Capital ship piloting: Star Destroyer
Crew: 28,000,8700 officers, gunners: 425
Crew Skill: Astrogation 3D+2, capital ship gunnery 4D+2, capital ship piloting 5D, capital ship shields 4D, sensors 3D+2
Passengers: 2,000 (troops)
Cargo Capacity: None
Consumables: 4 years
Cost: Not available for sale
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x2
Hyperdrive Backup: x8
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 1D+1
Space: 6
Hull: 5D+1
Shields: 3D+1
Sensors:
-- Passive: 40/1D
-- Scan: 70/2D
-- Search: 150/3D
-- Focus: 4/3D+2
Weapons:
8 Heavy Quad Turbolaser Cannons
-- Fire Arc:
-- Crew: 4
-- Skill: Capital ship gunnery
-- Scale: capital
-- Fire Control: 4D
-- Space Range: 3-15/35/75
-- Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
-- Damage: 6D
4 Quad Turbolaser Cannon
-- Fire Arc:
-- Crew: 3
-- Fire Control: 2D+1
-- Space Range: 3-25/45/90
-- Atmosphere Range: 6-50/90/180 km
-- Damage: 4D
120 Double Turbolaser Cannons
-- Fire Arc:
-- Fire Control: 2D
-- Space Range: 3-15/35/75
-- Atmosphere Range: 6-30/70/150 km
-- Damage: 5D
40 Laser Cannon
-- Fire Arc:
-- Crew: 1
-- Skill: Starship gunnery
-- Scale: Starfighter
-- Space Range: 1-3/10/20
-- Atmosphere Range: 100-300/1/2 km
-- Damage: 2D
6 Proton Torpedo Tubes (16 torpedoes each)
-- Fire Arc:
-- Space Range: 2-12/30/60
-- Atmosphere Range: 4-24/60/120 km
-- Damage: 9D
10 Tractor Beam Projectors
-- Fire Arc:
-- Crew: 2
-- Space Range: 1-5/15/30
-- Atmosphere Range: 2-10/30/60 km
-- Damage: 6D

Capsule: The Tector-class Star Destroyer was a Star Destroyer class in service with the Galactic Republic and the Galactic Empire.

It was a 1.6-kilometer-long dagger-shaped vessel, essentially a version of the contemporary Imperial-class, with ventral hangars absent. Instead of ventral hangar bays, the design opted for an increase in armor that covered the areas normally used as main hangar openings, as well as the reactor core.

This made the design more efficient in ship-to-ship combat, as it had less access to internal weak-spots. However, it limited its usefulness in other roles. Being without hangars, it required dedicated carriers to provide any starfighter support.

The Tector-class was first produced by Kuat Drive Yards during the Clone Wars. It, along with the Imperator-class, was one of the largest Republic warship classes fielded during the conflict. In the first months of the war, the Tector-class was produced in small numbers to test their capabilities before a full-scale production could begin.

One such vessel, the Gibbon, was sabotaged with a computer virus by Separatist agents while at Handooine and subsequently participated in the Battle of Salvara. The virus spread around the task force, leading the ships to lower their shields at a certain range of the enemy, turning the battle into a rout for the Republic. This and other incidents led to a delay in the production of the Tector-class and the ships served only in a few task forces during the conflict.

In the years following the rise of the Galactic Empire, the Tector-class and its sister-design supplanted the less robust Venator-class, leading to it being phased out of frontline duty. The class served the Empire for decades. Three of these vessels participated in the climactic Battle of Endor in 4 ABY, with one being lost to Rebel fire.

Note: the choice of weapons I did not come up with on my own and I could not find suggestions. I did come across this image from Google Images that listed weapons and additional information. The image is tied to LEGO.com - Star Wars - Creations.

http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposed to be tougher, but loses 1D+2 in Hull Strength?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
Crew: 28,000,8700 officers, gunners: 425

Not that I think WEG's crew listings are all that helpful, but this stat should include a Skeleton crew listing. In addition, no other WEG stat distinguishes between officers and crew; they just give a combined total

Quote:
Cargo Capacity: None

Why? All the other big ships have a cargo listing, even if it never gets used.

Quote:
Hull: 5D+1
Shields: 3D+1

See my previous post. IMO, the Hull should be 8D minimum

Quote:
Weapons:

1). Why are there no Fire Arcs listed?
2). Why no Ion Cannon?

Quote:
8 Heavy Quad Turbolaser Cannons

Having a small number of heavy turrets fits with the film images of the ships, but they barely have any damage advantage over the smaller double turbolasers mentioned below, and are actually more accurate. I would have made these guns 0D FC / 10D damage to give this ship a big gun against other heavy capital ships, with the dual turbolasers being used as secondary armament.

Quote:
4 Quad Turbolaser Cannon
-- Space Range: 3-25/45/90
-- Atmosphere Range: 6-50/90/180 km

I like the added range here, as it gives the ship the ability to hit targets at long range. However, I would've folded the longer range in with the Heavy Quads above.

Quote:
6 Proton Torpedo Tubes (16 torpedoes each)

Why only 16 torpedoes each? As I stated in my version of the Tector, a ship the size of an Imperial that removes the main hangar bays is going to have a lot of room left over to do other things with...

shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a quick and dirty project and once I saw you had made one I didn't go the extra "mile" to complete it. I really like your suggestions crmcneill and think they make sense to add.

The choice of weapons and number were not mine. They were taken straight from the Lego image. As for weapon ranges, damage, etc, those came directly from stats already used in products and near-official fan-based materials.

I am not "married" to any of that information so long as it all makes sense. Please continue to post your suggestions.

I will most definitely increase Hull as that is explained as being very durable with the removal of the hangar bays and specifically adding shielding to the core generator.

I am unsure of the amount of cargo space to put into a ship of this size. 80,000 tons?

I am open to suggestions on fire arcs as well.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: