The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Wild die when not using CPs to boost rolls..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> The Wild die when not using CPs to boost rolls.. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I used to have a 'formula' for when i could complicate things, but these days i wing it, based on what might be funnier for things or make it more of a good 'screen cap'...

This is how I normally do it. However what I was looking for was a 'guidline' on when the wild die meant different thing. Not that I wanted to put up a sign saying 'its pretty safe, just try' for my players, but I wanted more consistency instead of arbitrary decisions.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In D6 there is very little a PC can do if his ship gets hit other than to admire the pretty fireball. A complication spare the PCs lives from something that they probably had little control over, yet makes things more difficult than they were.

I can see that more for the rest of the crew in a freighter, than a vehicle as the pilot definitely does have some control over whether they are hit.
BUT i also see it many a time where this type of thing is effectively telling players "Don't worry about dying, i will always come up with something to save you"...

Quote:
My willingness to do this depnds a lot on the circumstances. If a PC is about to get obliterated from a pehonemonally high roll, throwugh something that the PC had little control over, I7m more likely to complcate things in a "good" way. Good meaning not dead. The actual complication is never "good".

And how can you have "Never good" if they don't die? whats worse? Soul destroyed? Enslaved for eternity? And how are they not having control over damage rolls against them unless they are completely caught by surprise in a mass explosion? Did they dodge? Parry? Maneuver?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

I can see that more for the rest of the crew in a freighter, than a vehicle as the pilot definitely does have some control over whether they are hit.

But not over the effect of the hit. You can't do anthing about it once you get hit. Since the dodge comes off first for the round (by RAW, I know you houserule it differerntly), then the pilot has little control when some NPC rolling 2D rolls hot and hits a Dodge of 40. With personal combat the charactrers have the option to spend CP or Ps to up thier soak, but there is not much a PC can do if an outragenously lucky shot is followed up by an outrageously high damage total and turns thier ship into atoms.

garhkal wrote:

BUT i also see it many a time where this type of thing is effectively telling players "Don't worry about dying, i will always come up with something to save you"...

I know what you mean, and I've seen it too. A lot o Gms do step in whenever something bad happens, preventing PC death.The key factors here are the freqency this is done, the circumstances, and also the nature of the setting. If a GM were to step in an alter things every time a PC got into trouble or killed then, the players do get that impression. If, on the other hand, a Gm does this sparringly, to mitigate some of the insane results of the wild die, it doesn't.

There isn't much a PC in a ship can do i the Gmrolls a 40 to hit, and a 57 damage roll with a TIE fighter.

Star Wars is supposed to be a cinematic RPG, and it doesn't help if a main character gets taken out due to extreme flukiness from the wild die. If I roll a 6 or two, than7t one thing, but when I roll ive or six in a row, there isnt much a PC in a ship can do.

garhkal wrote:

And how can you have "Never good" if they don't die? whats worse? Soul destroyed? Enslaved for eternity? And how are they not having control over damage rolls against them unless they are completely caught by surprise in a mass explosion? Did they dodge? Parry? Maneuver?[

There are lots of "not good" things. That the alternative is death does not automatically make a particular result "good" by default. It just means it isn't as bad as dying. The idea of a complication is that is complicates things, not that is is a more severe punishment than lossing the high die.

It is better for the story to have the PCs ship disabled and the PCs captured than to have the Millennium Falcon go up is a massive fireball becuase an angry Ewok scored a 84 of the damage roll with his spear.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But not over the effect of the hit. You can't do anthing about it once you get hit. Since the dodge comes off first for the round (by RAW, I know you houserule it differerntly), then the pilot has little control when some NPC rolling 2D rolls hot and hits a Dodge of 40. With personal combat the charactrers have the option to spend CP or Ps to up thier soak, but there is not much a PC can do if an outragenously lucky shot is followed up by an outrageously high damage total and turns thier ship into atoms.

So upp your dodge more! 8)
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

So upp your dodge more! 8)

They would have to live through this encounter before they could up anything. Smile

I7m sure the players would love to have 10D in Dodge and Piloting, but inorder to sdo that they have to have a chance of survival. These characters are fairly new, and the Jedi Padawan has been working hard just to get his piloting up to The playeris happy that he can inally raise lightsaber combat most of the time, even if the MAPs cancl out all the bonuses. Op\n top of his froce training, he is being pushed into having to pilot a starfighter, and lead troops into battle.

Making the guy deal with a wild die mechanic that pops up 33% of the tme is asking a bit too much.

This is Star Wars. Reralsitically Anakin should have bought it during the starfighter battle in Episode I, and the Empire would have sent mre than 3 TIE fighters to engage the Rebelsin Episode IV. Heck, you7d think a spacestation the size of a small moon could certainly lauch enough snub ighters to overwhelm two rebel squadrons. They Empire actuall sent more TIE fighters after the Milineuim Falcon to make it escape look good, then it did to defend the Death Star when it was attacked.

But this is Star Wars. The PCs don7t get an even break becuase if they did, they'd be dead. I7ll ive the PCs some breaks with the wild die since they are going to be sent on mission that realsitically have little chance of success.

It7s either than or I start having strokmtrooper use frag and gas grenades on the recently defoliated mood of Endor, scrag the Ewoks, and wipe out he rebels.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OT.. Atgxtg... Whats with the constant 7s in "Your speach??
Code:

I7m
you7d
don7t
I7ll
It7s

Do you not know which button to press to get the hyphen mark ' ?
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a character kinda thing? I don't mind. It's easier to read than that show Numb3rs (which to me is Numb-three-ers).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pehaps the players have to accept that they cant always influence bad dice rolling, you know like in the old days..... Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Maybe it's a character kinda thing? I don't mind. It's easier to read than that show Numb3rs (which to me is Numb-three-ers).

Maybe to you it is easier....
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is....
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Yes, depending on which computer I am using. My U- series Japanese laptops has a different keyboard arrangement and keeps switching back to default on me. It also seems to lag a bit if I type fast.

Sorry, I7ll try to proofread my test a little better. Embarassed
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
OT.. Atgxtg... Whats with the constant 7s in "Your speach??
Code:

I7m
you7d
don7t
I7ll
It7s

Me thinks it7s very suave and refr3shing to read!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to me. I have to take care of kids here (18-20) who type things out for Emails (work related) using that type of typing/text speak.. and it is (to my pov) not only annoying, but shows a lack of giving a ***t.
Random Numbers
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
***t.

hehe
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
OT.. Atgxtg... Whats with the constant 7s in "Your speach?? Do you not know which button to press to get the hyphen mark ' ?

Hyphen is a dash like this -
The ' is an apostrophe.

I can't stand text speak myself but I can sympathise with keyboard layout isses.

To get back on the topic it's probably going to have to be a GM's call situation. I can't forsee being able to create a rule that will work well in all given circumstances so the GM will just have to try to be consistant. Personally I like the idea of a complication that makes things more difficult but doesn't preclude the players from trying again but in some situations perhaps the players failing is going to be appropriate.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: