The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Battle Mind (Expanded Lightsaber Combat)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Battle Mind (Expanded Lightsaber Combat) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
hazardchris wrote:
On page 39 of the R&E Rulebook it says:
Quote:
...it's very, very difficult for a character without [lightsaber combat] to parry blaster shots.

In light of that, I'd say Very Difficult.

Id say Very, Very Difficult. Laughing

Thats 2 below Heroic right?

LMAO. Good times.

Seriously, though, for someone who isn't literally precognitive, like a Jedi or other Force user, your mind and reflexes would have to function with incredible precision and speed to block a blaster bolt, especially with something as relatively narrow as a lightsaber blade. As augmented as Grievous is, with processors that analyze and adapt to combat situations, I can see him possessing the precision necessary to get a lightsaber into position to deflect a blaster bolt (although I am iffy on whether he would have enough precision to control that deflection shot).

Also noteworthy, the Mandalorian Royal Guard during the Clone Wars is shown to wield Force Staffs that can also be used to deflect blaster fire, but there is no mention of them having Force skills.

Should I just write this off as the Clone Wars going off the rails and thinking "oooo, pretty!", or should there be an actual difficulty number at some point to indicate that it's possible?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hazardchris wrote:
Quote:
...it's very, very difficult for a character without [lightsaber combat] to parry blaster shots.

Plus the to hit roll...

Quote:
Should I just write this off as the Clone Wars going off the rails and thinking "oooo, pretty!", or should there be an actual difficulty number at some point to indicate that it's possible?

I am leaning to OOh pretty.. Same as how in the dark forces game, you can use force push to knock back those flechett rounds from that blaster grenade launcher looking item, as well as the shots from that concussion gun.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
hazardchris wrote:
Quote:

Plus the to hit roll...

Exactly. At the very least, it should be something like Heroic + attacker's Blaster skill roll, and then you have to factor in the MAPs for multiple attacks. Honestly, I don't see how it would be possible for someone who wasn't either precognitive or cybernetically augmented to the Nth degree to pull this off and have it be anything other than luck (or a Force Point).

As far as the Mandalorian Royal Guard, it might be possible to say that they have low level Force abilities. After all, Mandalore is a notoriously independent planet, and it's possible that they would refuse to allow the Jedi to recruit from their populace. In such a scenario, Force-talented younglings who would normally be recruited into the Jedi would instead be directed into the Mandalorian equivalent. They could just be the Force user equivalent of, say, a Sovereign Protector, which would give them the ability to deflect one or two blaster bolts, but not a barrage of them (which is relatively realistic, too).

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: