The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dual Blasters
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dual Blasters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rimmer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Dual Blasters Reply with quote

OK firstly I apologise as this has most likley been brought up before, but my search-fu has abandoned me.

Currently have a PC who after seeing one to many John Woo flicks, would like to do the whole two gun thing, I have no problem with this but am unsure of how to handle this rules wise. Some ideas as follows

Any method I choose will have the following effects, (A) any shots made will be at one difficulty level higher than normal (B) Both shots will be simultaneous, or happen in the same action, eg: if you are second in Initiative order, both shots will happen before Mr.3 can go. (C) Splitting the shots will between two targets will increse the difficulty a further level in addition to the above.

1. Dual Blaster becomes a specialty of Blaster, not really sure of this one, there is something nagging me with this.

2. Dual Blaster becomes an Advanced skill from Blaster. Sounds better.

3. Dual blaster becomes a whole new skill by itself, based in the DEX catagory but only effecting the second blaster. EG: Bob has DEX 3D, Blaster 6D, and Dual Blaster 5D, he wins initiative and goes for two shots, shot one is at 6D, while the second one is at 5D, both hit etc etc. Ignoreing MAP's for the sake of clarity for now.

4. Combine #2 and #3

5. Not sure, waiting for ideas.

In any case, in regards to damage, would it be two seperate roles, or would you add the damage together using the combined fire rules ?

Well thast all I have for now.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Dual Blasters Reply with quote

Rimmer wrote:
Any method I choose will have the following effects, (A) any shots made will be at one difficulty level higher than normal (B) Both shots will be simultaneous, or happen in the same action, eg: if you are second in Initiative order, both shots will happen before Mr.3 can go. (C) Splitting the shots will between two targets will increse the difficulty a further level in addition to the above.

Sounds good so far.

Rimmer wrote:
1. Dual Blaster becomes a specialty of Blaster, not really sure of this one, there is something nagging me with this.

2. Dual Blaster becomes an Advanced skill from Blaster. Sounds better.

3. Dual blaster becomes a whole new skill by itself, based in the DEX catagory but only effecting the second blaster. EG: Bob has DEX 3D, Blaster 6D, and Dual Blaster 5D, he wins initiative and goes for two shots, shot one is at 6D, while the second one is at 5D, both hit etc etc. Ignoreing MAP's for the sake of clarity for now.

4. Combine #2 and #3

5. Not sure, waiting for ideas.

Honestly, just have him specialize in the type of blaster pistol he prefers, as the more dice he puts in that skill, the more he offsets the MAP. I would also suggest looking at the Optional Rule for Quickdraws in Han Solo and the Corporate Sector (treats your Blaster skill as a dice pool that can be split between initiative and Blaster). WEG doesn't make distinctions as to left-hand / right-hand / ambidexterity, and it's probably easier that way.

Rimmer wrote:
In any case, in regards to damage, would it be two seperate roles, or would you add the damage together using the combined fire rules ?

Well thast all I have for now.

If it were me, I would make it two damage rolls if he fired at the same target.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OK firstly I apologise as this has most likley been brought up before, but my search-fu has abandoned me.

More like not even attempted...
Here are 4 threads mine pulled up just doing a quick search on "dual-wield"..

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1933&highlight=dualwield

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1952&highlight=dualwield

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1846&highlight=dualwield

http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=361&highlight=dualwield
Rimmer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

Gee, thanks for being so polite and understanding Mr. Tiny cock man.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He spent time getting you resources for your question, and now you insult him?
Rerun941
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snarky insults and name-calling are uncalled for...

garhkal: "More like not even attempted..."
Rimmer: "...Mr. Tiny cock man."

Please refrain from doing either in future posts.

Let's play nice, folks.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Quote:

To be honest, if you search for 'dual wield' you get two pages of results with lots of 'garbage' hits. The trick is to search for 'dualwield', then you get your 4. Im also often a bit frustrated with the search function.

And I really hope the unaccepted behaviour can be written off as temporary insanity. I really like the fact that we generally can hold a nice discussion even though we might disaggree. No Nerdrage thank you!
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back on track..

I have been playing with the following idea.

Dual Blasters is an Advanced skill.

However it doesnt work as regular advanced skill when using it.

When firing dual blasters you get to roll a number of skill dice equal to the average of Blasters and Dual Blasters. If you have 8D in Blasters and 4D in Dual Blasters you get to roll 6D when firing. This allows you to fire 2 shots for 1 Map that are resolved on the same initiative. If you fire both pistols once you lose 1D (compared to using one) but get to fire both at the same initiative.

I was also thinking of the possibility to combine damage from both shots for +1D damage (as per 'double weapon' rules for vehicles).

The idea is to have another advantage than just firing more shots, as you normally can fire them anyway. However you design the rule you can easily compare CPs to just putting them into a higher blaster skill and fire more times. Either its better to put them into Dual Blasters, or just into Blaster. With other options its not just a mathematical question but a question of tactics.
Rimmer
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
To get back on track..

I have been playing with the following idea.

Dual Blasters is an Advanced skill.

However it doesnt work as regular advanced skill when using it.

When firing dual blasters you get to roll a number of skill dice equal to the average of Blasters and Dual Blasters. If you have 8D in Blasters and 4D in Dual Blasters you get to roll 6D when firing. This allows you to fire 2 shots for 1 Map that are resolved on the same initiative. If you fire both pistols once you lose 1D (compared to using one) but get to fire both at the same initiative.

I was also thinking of the possibility to combine damage from both shots for +1D damage (as per 'double weapon' rules for vehicles).

The idea is to have another advantage than just firing more shots, as you normally can fire them anyway. However you design the rule you can easily compare CPs to just putting them into a higher blaster skill and fire more times. Either its better to put them into Dual Blasters, or just into Blaster. With other options its not just a mathematical question but a question of tactics.

This the the most likly form that I will end up using, Having dual blasters as an advanced skill from blasters, but not with your averaging out of the two skill, while a good idea in itself The idea of having one skill up the skill dice of another dosent sit well with me. In your example by raising your blaster skill from 8D to whatever gives a bonus to your dual blasters with out any CP's being spent.

I would most likly go with (again using your numbers as examples) the first shot being rolled at 8D while the second at 4D, both rolling seperatly to hit and to damage.

EDIT: Just realised I may be misunderstanding you here. When you say average out the 8D and 4D skills to get your 6D, do you then roll 6D once representing both shots, or do you roll 6D twice once for each shot ?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
And I really hope the unaccepted behaviour can be written off as temporary insanity.

Well the docs don't want to test me Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: