The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Differing between heavy firepower and rapid fire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Differing between heavy firepower and rapid fire. Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In galaxy at war, the AT-AT deploys storm troopers via fast-rope lines.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
Exactly. In my thread about the AT-ST I mention that I switched the (by the RAW) pointless lesser gun to a character scale E-web exactly for this reason.

Google the first russion invasion of Grozny for a good example on how to ambush tanks.

I once saw a CGI image of an AT-ST modified with a ramped troop compartment at the rear. I always figured a clamshell-type hatch with retracting fast-rope lines made more sense, but what the heck. Bottom line, an AT-ST with its own rapid-deployment troop detachment would be much less vulnerable to the types of tactics the Ewoks used in ROTJ.

I did something similar on the AT-AT. It's got the two main laser cannon that are walker scale, then it has the two medium blaster cannon that are also Walker Scale, but with identical FC and 3D damage instead of 6D. I changed them to Speeder-Scale with FC of 3D and a Damage of 5D. After all, in ESB, an AT-AT can very clearly be seen to shoot down an airspeeder with those cannon.

I always figured an upgraded AT-AT would have an after turret with a single heavy laser to cover the arcs that the head turrets couldn't hit. I also figured a single blaster cannon mounted on the rear as well, but low enough that it could rotate 360 degrees and engage targets at the AT-AT's feet.

Speaking of the AT-AT, do you ascribe to the kneeling disembarkation method for troops, or the fast-rope lines?

I too have shifted the scale for that weapon, and added a couple of Medium repeating blasters to protect the flanks against infantry.

I assume they can kneel if troops are to embark in orderly fashion (ie not in combat). Otherwise I assume the troops have some kind of disposable repulsor-gizmo that they use to drop down quickly. Ropes dont seem that SW-ish to me.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I too have shifted the scale for that weapon, and added a couple of Medium repeating blasters to protect the flanks against infantry.

I assume they can kneel if troops are to embark in orderly fashion (ie not in combat). Otherwise I assume the troops have some kind of disposable repulsor-gizmo that they use to drop down quickly. Ropes dont seem that SW-ish to me.

Aww, come on. Ropes (or cables, at least) were factors in ANH (the grappling hook swing across the chasm) and in ESB (Luke taking out the AT-AT). Call it a cable if it makes it feel more modern. I know the Incredible Cross-sections book shows the snowtroopers deploying via a cable-based deployment rig. I would suggest that it lowers them at near free-fall speeds and brakes their descent just before they hit the ground. Then, once the snowtroopers touch down, the cable automatically disengages and retracts. Troopers could then use the system on a more sedate setting to reboard the AT-AT

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Aww, come on. Ropes (or cables, at least) were factors in ANH (the grappling hook swing across the chasm) and in ESB (Luke taking out the AT-AT). Call it a cable if it makes it feel more modern. I know the Incredible Cross-sections book shows the snowtroopers deploying via a cable-based deployment rig. I would suggest that it lowers them at near free-fall speeds and brakes their descent just before they hit the ground. Then, once the snowtroopers touch down, the cable automatically disengages and retracts. Troopers could then use the system on a more sedate setting to reboard the AT-AT

I know there are cables and ropes, just that if you know youre always going to drop (more or less) straight down very fast, i assume you have some dispensable grav device you just drop at your feet when you hit the deck.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
I know there are cables and ropes, just that if you know youre always going to drop (more or less) straight down very fast, i assume you have some dispensable grav device you just drop at your feet when you hit the deck.

That seems perfectly reasonable, except that the SWU seems to show a preference for cables. After all, you see a lot of them, yet I can't recall seeing a personal grav device in the films ever. The closest they ever got was rocket packs.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

The .50 HMG makes short work of an 18-wheeler. Unfortunatlely the scales do not follow civilian/military. We have both speeder scaled tanks and walker scaled trucks. But if WEG would have been more consistent it would have been a good rule (and still is if you are prepared to 'wing it' when it starts to seem weird).

I guess winging it in few places is the best solution so far... Laughing

And as someone who has seen 50s on the field chew up tanks over time, it can do so with some tanks...

Quote:
Speaking of the AT-AT, do you ascribe to the kneeling disembarkation method for troops, or the fast-rope lines?

Neither.. Jump packs or grav belts.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Neither.. Jump packs or grav belts.

Everybody keeps saying that, except that the official material specifies that the AT-ATs either kneel or they use the drop-lines (see Incredible Cross-Sections) to deploy their troops. Jump packs or grav belts might be the sort of thing that would get deployed with elite troops, but for the Empire and its "You are all expendable" mindset, a rope that drops a trooper on the ground that he doesn't get to take with him seems to fit that quite well.

atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:

This is exactly the case. Rolling for damage multiple times per target quickly evolves into a dice-rolling fest when several combatants have automatic fire.

The only 'problem' that putting autofire dice to damage creates is in situation where you can assume that each individual blast is more or less harmless. Light blaster weapons with a very high rate of fire for example.

The rotary blaster comes to mind.

Okay, what if the rapid fire bonus dice were rolled only when the damage beats the soak roll.? That way auto weapons would still bounce off tough things nd still ter up soft stuff.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

This is exactly the case. Rolling for damage multiple times per target quickly evolves into a dice-rolling fest when several combatants have automatic fire.

The only 'problem' that putting autofire dice to damage creates is in situation where you can assume that each individual blast is more or less harmless. Light blaster weapons with a very high rate of fire for example.

The rotary blaster comes to mind.

Okay, what if the rapid fire bonus dice were rolled only when the damage beats the soak roll.? That way auto weapons would still bounce off tough things nd still ter up soft stuff.

Hmm, that almost hits the nail. However, if a single attack is almost enough to damage a target, then a hail of attacks most certainly will. See my first idea wich was similar to yours. The difference was that if the original attacks damage was more than 5 below the resistance roll then the blasts simply bounces off. This works for armoured targets, but will seem strange with unarmoured (think a wookie targeted by automatic blaster, will the blaster bolts bounce off his hide just because the first bolt dont manage to score a wound?). Ok then, only armoured targets then. Next question, is a blast west enough? Or should there be some relation between the number of damage dice and the armour dice? Darn, we are back at the armour discussion.. Laughing
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Wookiee.

You could just use it for soft targets, or you could assume that the damage roll was the best result. The rest of the burst either bounced of the armor as well, or just missed the Wookiee. Real world wise, if a flak vest will stop one round, it probably would stop the rest, although the target could be bruised from blunt trauma. But then, real worl wise, the target isn't going to get hit more than once or twice.

An armor rating would be nice, but we would have to assign armor values to every vehicle in the game. A pretty big task. It would be every harder to try and convince Gry and Chesire to add armor values to all thier nice stat books! Wink

If this does the trick, go with it.

And it isn't too difficult to decide if something is a hard or soft target if you want to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: