The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

FFG SW RPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> FFG SW RPG Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: FFG SW RPG Reply with quote

There's nothing official right now, but it looks like Mongoose games tried to pick Star Wars up, only to find out that someone else had beat them to the punch. Here's the link:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=552022

Thoughts?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal thought is I don't want to see another version of Star Wars and a rehash of everything all over again. As a D6 Star Wars fan, I'm done with other versions of Star Wars. As a Star Wars fan, I'd just as soon wait a couple few years before seeing another version of the game out. And when it does come out, they need to cater to those who are following what's current in Star Wars. Stop rehashing the same stuff all the time. Start new, stay new. If they want to repeat all the stuff that's already been published in 1st edition rules, 2nd edition rules, 3rd and 3.5 editions rules and Saga edition rules, it's just going to waste a bunch of everyone's time all over again.

In terms of which company I'd like to see get it? None. Or, no company currently putting out games. I'd rather a new company interested in reviving what the game once was get it and release it using OpenD6 so we could have the game back to it's D6 origins. I know that's not going to happen, so I'm positive I won't like ANY new Star Wars game that comes out.
Azai
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, personally, I like the fact that it is being picked up again.

Just enough if it expands new things into the star wars universe, that we can hopefully convert to D6.

I really love D6, but I'd be open to trying new things. Also being someone who likes to use miniatures for space battles, and large scale ground battles with my role-playing group I really hope that side of it is continued. I can't pay 40 dollars on ebay or 60 on amazon to get eight random starfighter figures Wink
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: does that mean that sites like the holonet will now have to have areas for d6, d20, and whatever the new license is?

I just hope there's new stuff that can be converted.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my questions concerning the original post. Mongoose hinted that they knew who had the license or at least had some information about the products of the company that will allegedly pick it up. However, WotC had always been extremely tight lipped about their future products (as part of the NDA with Lucasfilm). They knew about SAGA long before they could talk about it. If that was the way things were with WotC, then why does Mongoose know who has the license? It's evidence of nothing, but it's very curious.

In terms of my hopes, I really would like SW RPG to lie fallow for a while. Right now I'm feeling kinda done. We've got all the conversions done. Granted we don't have the PDF made for the Dawn of Defiance, but all the conversion work is finished. (We don't seem to have a whole lot of talk about any hurry to get it down, so I'm not too worried, and I haven't talked to Gry about it for a while.) Hearing that WotC was finished with the license was kind of a relief for me. It was quite a lot of hard work getting everything converted. Though it was rewarding to have a book completed, and I'm happy to help the community, and they've gotten more downloads than I'd ever expected. That's all great, but I'm actually liking the fact that I don't have to get another book done before the next one comes out in two months. The prospect of that cycle beginning again with only a staff of myself, Gry, and Forceally doesn't excite me. Not to mention the fact that if it is a brand new system, then we'll have to figure out a brand new conversion system IF things can even convert over at all.

In terms of roleplaying books, I've got all the books I need and more. I'll still pick up the occasional D6 book I don't have for cheap on eBay if I find it. But I'm looking at a shelf full of great books with fantastic adventure ideas, and every Starship, gun, or gadget you can think of. I don't feel like too much is missing from my Star Wars universe (with, perhaps the exception of a guide on how Jedi academies and praxiums work in various eras; something that I thought was desperately lacking in The Jedi Academy Sourcebook and the Jedi Academy Training Manual. Things feel pretty complete for me at the moment.

It would take some really good thinking and great advertising to get me excited about a new system, especially when I know we'll see more stat blocks for Star Destroyers, X-Wings, AT-STs and whatnot before we see anything new.

Good luck to whoever gets it (if the report is true) in their endeavors. I hope you are successful. But, good luck talking me into being a customer.

Perhaps my mind will change in the spring when I don't have as much on my plate. Maybe they'll sit on the license for a while before moving on it, and my interest will build in that time. But right now, things feel pretty complete for me.
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. You, Gry and Forceally have done a great deal of work and it is appreciated.

And I agree, whoever gets the license will need to either breathe fresh air into the concept or wait and let everyone recover from Wizards.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the work that I volunteered to do. I'm just really liking the break, and I'm not in any terrible hurry to jump right back into it.
TheEvilDM
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not white-wolf/ccp publishing, I know that for a fact from Eddy Webb,
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the work that I volunteered to do. I'm just really liking the break, and I'm not in any terrible hurry to jump right back into it.

Very Happy

Your break is well deserved.
GMgreatness
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am torn on this subject. I would love to see stats on some of the new stuff appearing in the Clone Wars cartoons, but there isn't even a books worth of stuff at this point. Perhaps when the series ends. Whenever that will be. I have heard it would run one hundred episodes or 5 seasons. But as we all know with Lucas if it is making money he will milk the market.

Now if the live action show ever gets going and they introduce new characters, weapons, ships, guns etc, I would be insanely interested in that.

and That is why you fail...
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I myself am leery about the idea of a "new" system if one is drafted for the game: while I've played a number of systems over the years, I come back to D6 more than anything (for simplicity & cinematic feel, ya can't beat it!).

...When I know more of what's on the horizon, I'll be able to comment in greater depth.

...I also commend Cheshire, Gry & others that have put in their hard work for such a great game! Wink
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schnarre wrote:

...I also commend Cheshire, Gry & others that have put in their hard work for such a great game! Wink

And honorable mention to Forceally, of course. He didn't do any of the math, but he did quite a lot in making sure things were charted in terms of what was initially D6, what had been converted from d20 already, and what was untouched. That saved HOURS of work for each project.
Forceally
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: New company to pick up SW RPG license Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Thoughts?

I for one wouldn7t mind another Star Wars RPG. It can't hurt D6 Star Wars any; D6 SW is not going to get any official support, although it certainly has gooten excellent un offfical support from certain folks, for which we are all grateful.

They way I se it, if the new system is terrible, it won7t hurt D6, and if it has anything good, it could be adapted to D6, so it is a no lose scenario for us D6 fans.

I wouldn't mind it if Cubical 7 got thier hands on Star Wars and adapted the game mechanics from thier Doctor Who RPG. The system handled cinematic play fairly well, and wouldn7t be too hard to convert to and from D6.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im positive to a new SW RPG license.

Sure, I dont really need any new stuff, so I will probably not be a frequent customer. Also I havent seen a better RPG system than SW D6 so far (sure, some make fun of all my tweaking attempts, but thats me with every RPG).

However, if someone fokuses on where WEG failed (cough, Equipment/Vehicle/Starship consistency cough) I might be temted to buy some products to transfer into D6. New interensting scenarios might also interest me, as long as they easily can be trasfered to the Ep. IV time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: