The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Broadsword-Class Troop Transport
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Broadsword-Class Troop Transport Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Landing gear on anything larger than 1,000 meters strikes me as fanciful; ships that large aren't designed to make landfall. And for those about to mention the Lusankya taking off from Coruscant, that ship was specially modified to have way more repulsorlifts than usual in order to take off from underground, so that's not analagous. Not to mention that an Executor-class Star Dreadnought being able to land is especially ridiculous.

That was my initial reaction, as well. However, the existence of repulsorlifts throws a lot of assumptions out the window. If the ship is merely in contact with the surface, and resting a small fraction of its weight on its landing gear while the rest is being supported by active repulsorlifts, it becomes more believable. In that case, the "landing gear" are doing little more than providing stability while the ship loads or unloads its embarked army corps.

As far as the length, based on the fractalsponge's comparison ortho, this ship is around 1,800-1,900 meters.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the Consolidator-class Corps Assault Carrier was Fractal's take on an Evakmar-KDY transport.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanDarkstar wrote:
I thought the Consolidator-class Corps Assault Carrier was Fractal's take on an Evakmar-KDY transport.

So was my version of the Broadsword, mostly because I hadn't been able to find a better visual anywhere.

And then I found the Consolidator.

The landing gear threw me at first, but once I could explain them in-universe, it has started to grow on me.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
RyanDarkstar wrote:

So was my version of the Broadsword, mostly because I hadn't been able to find a better visual anywhere.

And then I found the Consolidator.

The landing gear threw me at first, but once I could explain them in-universe, it has started to grow on me.

So the Consolidator uses both landing gear and a disproportionate amount of repulsorlifts to keep it stable as it unloads troops and vehicles while on the ground? Considering that the Titan-class AT-AT barge uses giant repulsorlifts to unload its 4 AT-ATs and 4 AT-STs while in midair, that doesn't sound too farfetched....

But then again, the Consolidator is 15.5 times longer than the Titan and who knows how much more massive. That's going to necessitate alot of big repulsorlifts, even if it is resting (lightly) on the ground. My own take on this, FWIW, is that it would be much more efficient to switch out that repulsorlift space for additional storage/passenger/hangar space, just keep the Consolidator in orbit, and have shuttles and barges transfer all the materiel from orbit. (Landing gear? What landing gear?)

But that's just me.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
But that's just me.

Yeah, it's not my first choice, but if landing gear is the only concession I have to make to include something as awesomely detailed as the Consolidator, I can live with it.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
But that's just me.

Yeah, it's not my first choice, but if landing gear is the only concession I have to make to include something as awesomely detailed as the Consolidator, I can live with it.

Heh, there's no question that the Consolidator looks awesome, I just chose a pic of it that didn't include the landing gear in the camera angle and slapped that on my doc file of your Dictator stats. Mr. Green
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each, their own. I would change the length on the Dictator stats, as well, since the Consolidator is closer to 2,000 meters than 1,600.

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
To each, their own. I would change the length on the Dictator stats, as well, since the Consolidator is closer to 2,000 meters than 1,600.

Wouldn't that impact the rest of the stats, especially the cargo/complement capacity? I'm rubbish at trying to reason out D6 ship stats.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Wouldn't that impact the rest of the stats, especially the cargo/complement capacity? I'm rubbish at trying to reason out D6 ship stats.

Not if the extra room accounts for the repulsorlifts and the landing gear.

Wink

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes me wonder. HOW big would the 'landing' gear of an ISD BE?? Where in the ISD hull would they have to be?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That makes me wonder. HOW big would the 'landing' gear of an ISD BE?? Where in the ISD hull would they have to be?

Not to mention the question of "Where would it land?" At 1,600 meters long, the ISD rivals the size of the smaller spaceports. Where the hell are you going to find a landing pad big enough to accommodate a friggin' Imperator Star Destroyer?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe they don't land. They just hover 1k up and use landers..
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or giant repulsor platforms....or they fly over the target and the troops just jump out in massed clouds of idiots in black jumpsuits and blast vests with repulsor packs 'Join the Imperial Army they said'.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Maybe they don't land. They just hover 1k up and use landers..

We know they don't land. Hell, we see them hovering over places like Lothal and Garel in Star Wars Rebels all the friggin' time. Which begs the question (and I think this is what garhkal was getting at): Why would they even have landing gear in the first place?

RedKnight wrote:
or giant repulsor platforms....or they fly over the target and the troops just jump out in massed clouds of idiots in black jumpsuits and blast vests with repulsor packs 'Join the Imperial Army they said'.

Well, as of "Ghosts of Geonosis, Part II" in Season 3 of Rebels, rocket troopers are now a thing, canonized and all. Not that they held up all that well against the main characters, of course. Rolling Eyes
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Not to mention the question of "Where would it land?" At 1,600 meters long, the ISD rivals the size of the smaller spaceports. Where the hell are you going to find a landing pad big enough to accommodate a friggin' Imperator Star Destroyer?

The answer is where ever it wants too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: