The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Guide to ship building
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Guide to ship building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Guide to ship building Reply with quote

I've been working on my own little personal project like this for a while now. When trying to gauge the stats and prices of various ships in the official guides, and some of the translations, just ran into a few small errors, and was looking to see if Gry or someone else had some ideas on how to work the prices out so they're "As close as they should be" for players who will want to use the setup I make.

One of the really big snags I keep running into is "Engine Pricing" and more importantly, in this case, "Space Movement".

In this case, the example I keep running into (that throws my numbers wacky usually), is ships with moves over 12 (I've got a couple of figures for prices for moves over 12, but the frustrating thing comes when the ships themselves are worth less than the space move engine - lol).

Ex: The space move of 12 is priced @ 500,000 creds. However ships like the Jedi Interceptor and the like are valued @ 140,000 (even some of the other ships - mainly combat vessels - are valued @ things like the 100k - 200k range). Should I ignore those - and use my figures for engine prices and state to my players something like "Unless you work for the planets govt. you're not gonna get that kind of price."?

Anyways - I am trying to keep the costs as close to what the books price as possible, just make something to where the players can "make their own vanilla ships" or contract a ship-yard to make it - or something.

I think I answered what I'll likely do - which is the govt. discount for ships like that, but wanted some feedback from the community.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it this way: if you buy a car it is $20,000, but if you buy a car piece by piece it would cost a lot more (likely 3x or more).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Think of it this way: if you buy a car it is $20,000, but if you buy a car piece by piece it would cost a lot more (likely 3x or more).

I would even say x100 or above if youre actually building the car for the first time. Laughing

Also, the 500K figure is an old figure from GG6 I assume, when only the A-wing was that fast. The price is for a small freighter moving at space 12, not a small starfihter. If you want to make a freight jet move at mach 2 I assume it would cost more than a jetfighter doing the same speed.

And lastly, consistency between rules and vehicles (and even between different vehicles) are almost non-existent in the SW rules.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, they're almost non-existent, but they're there a bit.

Thus, why I'm asking for some opinions. Smile

As it pertains to Speed though, sports cars cost more (a lot more) than say my truck. The price difference between a Lamborghini and my GMC Jimmy is all about speed, engine power, and style of build.

Some things can be done differently I suppose, but the bigger function I'm trying to get is some kind of consistency to where I'll use it often and other players will use it. Smile
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:
As it pertains to Speed though, sports cars cost more (a lot more) than say my truck. The price difference between a Lamborghini and my GMC Jimmy is all about speed, engine power, and style of build.

And Lamborghini parts will cost more than truck parts.... WAY more....
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:

Some things can be done differently I suppose, but the bigger function I'm trying to get is some kind of consistency to where I'll use it often and other players will use it. Smile

But if you want your truck to go at 200 mph and also be able to handle the speed it wont come cheap. Think of doing the same thing to a 18 wheeler..(if it would be possible).. Wink

If you want consistency you have to go your own way. Just choose the least inconsistent way, thats probably the best one can achieve. I for example, just ruled out the Speed 12 engine for light freighters.
jmanski

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Space 12 for a freighter is too much.
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Yeah, Space 12 for a freighter is too much.

True, but for a starfighter it may not be. Especially for an interceptor kind.

While my focus is certainly star frieghters, since fighters use the same size of stuff as a majority of the ships the PC's will be on, trying to focus on that.

Just looking for a little feed back to see what the community at large thinks. Smile
Krapou
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ! (back from the dead !)

If you're still looking around fo pricing correctly the engines, you could look there :
http://krapz.free.fr/data/Starships_Pricing.pdf

With this system, I get a pricing of about 160k for the Jedi interceptor (without the booster ring).
On this price, about 45k is for the engines only.

My take on the engines pricing :
- the faster the ship, the higher the price (obviously)
- the bigger the ship, the higher the price: achieving space 12 on a 5m long fighter is far less expensive than on a 50m freighter ! Wink

ship pricing (details) :

size 5m : 1CP
consummables 2days + life support : 1CP
space 12 : 20CP
manoeuvrability 4D+2 : 25CP
hull 2D (+1 base) : 4CP
shields 2D : 4CP
weapon mounts 14 : 12CP (cost x2 due to small size)
weapons : + 8000 cred
total : 67CP (= 148k) + 8k = 156k
engines pricing = 156*20/67 = 46k
Praxian
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krapou wrote:
Hi ! (back from the dead !)

If you're still looking around fo pricing correctly the engines, you could look there :
http://krapz.free.fr/data/Starships_Pricing.pdf

With this system, I get a pricing of about 160k for the Jedi interceptor (without the booster ring).
On this price, about 45k is for the engines only.

My take on the engines pricing :
- the faster the ship, the higher the price (obviously)
- the bigger the ship, the higher the price: achieving space 12 on a 5m long fighter is far less expensive than on a 50m freighter ! Wink

ship pricing (details) :

size 5m : 1CP
consummables 2days + life support : 1CP
space 12 : 20CP
manoeuvrability 4D+2 : 25CP
hull 2D (+1 base) : 4CP
shields 2D : 4CP
weapon mounts 14 : 12CP (cost x2 due to small size)
weapons : + 8000 cred
total : 67CP (= 148k) + 8k = 156k
engines pricing = 156*20/67 = 46k

1st off, welcome back!

I know I've been thumbing around with that. Personally I'm not a fan of Construction Points (which is why I've been working on my own little thing Wink ).

Anyways, thanks for the feedback! Smile
ifurin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the D6 ships book preparing a ship for sublight speeds costs 2,500 credits, this counts as a move of 0. after that it costs 1000 credits for every space unit the ship can move. it's probably not what you're looking for but i hope it helps.
Anakin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Guide to ship building Reply with quote

Praxian wrote:
I've been working on my own little personal project like this for a while now. When trying to gauge the stats and prices of various ships in the official guides, and some of the translations, just ran into a few small errors, and was looking to see if Gry or someone else had some ideas on how to work the prices out so they're "As close as they should be" for players who will want to use the setup I make.

One of the really big snags I keep running into is "Engine Pricing" and more importantly, in this case, "Space Movement".

In this case, the example I keep running into (that throws my numbers wacky usually), is ships with moves over 12 (I've got a couple of figures for prices for moves over 12, but the frustrating thing comes when the ships themselves are worth less than the space move engine - lol).

Ex: The space move of 12 is priced @ 500,000 creds. However ships like the Jedi Interceptor and the like are valued @ 140,000 (even some of the other ships - mainly combat vessels - are valued @ things like the 100k - 200k range). Should I ignore those - and use my figures for engine prices and state to my players something like "Unless you work for the planets govt. you're not gonna get that kind of price."?

Anyways - I am trying to keep the costs as close to what the books price as possible, just make something to where the players can "make their own vanilla ships" or contract a ship-yard to make it - or something.

I think I answered what I'll likely do - which is the govt. discount for ships like that, but wanted some feedback from the community.

I invented a very accurate system, that so far is only available in Swedish, but I can translate the speed codes if you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: