The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Whats up with the AT-ST
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Whats up with the AT-ST Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, schnarre, you use the even harsher form of die caps compared to what I do. I use the 2nd edition (Vader cover) die caps version (slightly modified) and haven't had a problem with Walkers in my games.

The rest of the stuff you put regarding the AT-ST, I agree with.
schnarre
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I find the 1st version of scaling more in keeping with the perceived threat level (especially after 1 game where a 7D turbolaser did not take out a TIE/IN because it didn't roll 16+ vs the soak roll, though was still 4x the result). It also makes even armored characters more wary of engaging stuff much bigger than they are.

...*wonders if perhaps we should re-post the "Mecha in D6" thread from swtrpgnetwork.com here...*
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been so long sice i even saw the 1st ed wy of scaling/.. could you post it?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
It has been so long sice i even saw the 1st ed wy of scaling/.. could you post it?

It is fairly similar to 2nd edtion. The main difference is that numbered rolled over the cap are dropped instead of capped. For example, if the damage cap is 3, and you rolled 5 sixes for damage, you would drop it all to zero. It does make scale much more of a factor.

It also makes 4D+2 potentially better than 5D, and doesn't quite work out right with the with the wild die (i.e rolling a string of sixes that all get dropped).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So lets say a walker (cap?) is shooting at a character (Cap?). He rolls his 4d+2 vehicle blasters + 2d+1 for fire control, while the character rolls his (lets say) 7d dodge. IF it hits, the character rolls soak (cap?) and the walker rolls damage (cap?)
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
It is fairly similar to 2nd edtion. The main difference is that numbered rolled over the cap are dropped instead of capped. For example, if the damage cap is 3, and you rolled 5 sixes for damage, you would drop it all to zero. It does make scale much more of a factor.

It also makes 4D+2 potentially better than 5D, and doesn't quite work out right with the with the wild die (i.e rolling a string of sixes that all get dropped).

Interesting, I'd probably do it the other way so each scale difference subtracted one from the dice roll that way rolling well is still rewarded.

So a character scale weapon shooting at a walker would mean each dice rolled got -2 so a four became a two and a 1 or a two became zero. That way if you roll a six on your wild dice it only counts as a four but it still allows for those rerolls and it's still better than getting a three.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone once posted the excellent idea of having scales in multipliers instead of adding dice or reading the differently. Only problem would be that it would mess around with the different scale categories perhaps making a vehicle overhaul neccessary.

Character x1
Speeder x2
Walker x3
Starship x4
Capital x8
etc.

If it had been done this way to begin with, and all vehicles and ships designed with these rules in mind, how simple things would be.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
Someone once posted the excellent idea of having scales in multipliers instead of adding dice or reading the differently.

So a capital scale weapon that hits a starship scale object rolls multiplies the damage it rolls by four (the difference between 4x and 8x) but a starship scale weapon that hits a walker doesn't modify it's damage (the difference between 3x and 4x is only one)?

I'm not quite sure I understand how this would work.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i was to do that, i would add at least 1 more scale between fighter and cap.

Say have one for freighters and one for the smaller caps (pickets) like the corellian corvette.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
So a capital scale weapon that hits a starship scale object rolls multiplies the damage it rolls by four (the difference between 4x and 8x) but a starship scale weapon that hits a walker doesn't modify it's damage (the difference between 3x and 4x is only one)?

To my understanding of how scales work, it would use ratios instead, and would be more like this:

The capital ship multiplies its damage by two (the ratio between eight and four) while the starfighter multiplies its damage by 4/3 (the ratio between four and three.)
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soniv wrote:
Esoomian wrote:

To my understanding of how scales work, it would use ratios instead, and would be more like this:

The capital ship multiplies its damage by two (the ratio between eight and four) while the starfighter multiplies its damage by 4/3 (the ratio between four and three.)

Yeah, this is it. The numbers are just from the top of my head or at least from my hazy memory of the earlier post I mentioned.

The main idea is to keep the same dice as in the profile, as per the earlier scaling rules, without the need to cap, drop results or read dice as D3 etc. Sorry if I dont remember the details of exactlly how 'odd' scale differences (for example x3 vs x4) were handled.
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To handle odd scaling, I would say do something like this:

For example, a Starfighter attacks a Walker. The Starfighter gets to multiply its damage by four however that is handled, and the walker gets to multiply its resistance by three. However, remembering the dice code scaling modifiers in D6, and adding a Corvette scale, I propose this set of multipliers:

x1 Character
x2 Speeder
x4 Walker
x6 Starfighter
x9 Corvette
x12 Capital
x24 Death Star
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... lets say a walker is shooting a PC.

Would the walker use the pc's X1 mod for its to hit, or would the PC use the walkers X4 mod for its dodge?
Soniv
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it would depend on which is easier. The walker would get x1/4 if it was modified directly against the PC's dodging. If we were applying it to the PC's roll to dodge, they would just get x4. It really just depends on which math is easier.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And remember to slap some anti infantry weapons on the vehicles, at least most military vehicles have some kind of 'infantry-scaled' weapon. In the SW universe this would be a repeater blaster or perhaps a nade launcher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: