The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My take on auto fire
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> My take on auto fire Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grumsy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: My take on auto fire Reply with quote

Auto fire rules for SW D6
If you use a repeating blaster like it says in the book that represents pointing the gun and auto firing at the target. This is like a 3 round burst and reflects the added damage that the blaster can do. However there are other things that you can do with a repeating blaster.

Area fire:
You can target multiple hexes that are adjacent to each other. Anyone in, moving through, or ending in a targeted hex or any hexes in the line of fire is subject to fire. This is a full round action.
1 hex targeted: -1D damage
2 hexes targeted: -2D damage and -1D to hit
3 hexes targeted: -3D damage and -3D to hit
4 hexes targeted: -5D damage and -5D to hit

Area fire also suppresses anyone in the AOE. As long as they try to use any skill other than dodge in the AOE they have a negative modifier. The modifier is affected by the amount of hexes being fired on.
1 hex targeted: -5D to all actions other than dodge
2 hexes targeted: -3D to all actions other than dodge
3 hexes targeted: -2D to all actions other than dodge
4 hexes targeted: -1D to all actions other than dodge

If you have complete cover and can perform an action without exposing yourself to the area fire then you will only have a -1D modifier no matter how many hexes are targeted.
--------------

This is a pretty simple way of running this mechanic I thought. Comments?
Thanks
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a total dumbass when it comes to miniatures so forgive my stupid question, but how large is a hex?
grumsy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5m per hex
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumsy wrote:
5m per hex

I cant really make sense of this.

If you fire at one person with a repeating blaster it deals 6D damage. If you fire at everyong within 5 m area you deal 5D damage?

Also, if you shoot at 4 hexes you are covering 20 meters with just a single action burst. What is that, about 10 blasts (should that mean 3 shots of 'ammo'?), which means 2m between every blast. Even if you are Boba Fett you will only hit by pure chance.
grumsy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i dont know why i put 5m. I use a 5' scale.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: My take on auto fire Reply with quote

grumsy wrote:
Area fire:
You can target multiple hexes that are adjacent to each other. Anyone in, moving through, or ending in a targeted hex or any hexes in the line of fire is subject to fire. This is a full round action.
1 hex targeted: -1D damage
2 hexes targeted: -2D damage and -1D to hit
3 hexes targeted: -3D damage and -3D to hit
4 hexes targeted: -5D damage and -5D to hit

No sure about the damage reduction.

So if a character uses a BlasTech Light Repeating Blaster (damage: 5D+1) for area fire aimed at a 20 foot (4x5') wide area the attack has -5D to chance to hit and does 1 pt of damage if it hits? Confused

I think this still needs some work.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need sort sort of minumin damage to reflect the effect of one shot/round hitting. I can7t see an E-Web doing less damage than a blaster rifle just becuase it7s spaying a wide area.

Using a modern anagloue, A bullet from a .50 cal machine gune still hits as hard no matter how wide an arc somone in spraying over. I can see dropping the damage a die or two to reflect hitting the target once instead of multiple times, but -5D is too much.

Also, how do you handle shots at large objects, creatures or vehicles that are in the line of fire? For instace, if someone is shooting at a 2 hex area, and there is a 2 hex long speeder bike in the line of fire, do they roll to hit each hex of the bike?
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
I think you need sort sort of minumin damage to reflect the effect of one shot/round hitting. I can7t see an E-Web doing less damage than a blaster rifle just becuase it7s spaying a wide area.

After you are down to the damage caused by one blast, perhaps 6D in the case of an E-web, then perhaps you should just randomize if you get hit or not. If you fire one blast each 2 meters the chance of hitting wouldnt be more than 1 in 3. The 'To hit' roll then represents the shooters ability to keep an even spread and also elevation.
grumsy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point about the damage. ill rework it =)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are mine..

Recoil
Every slug thrower, from a little .22 derringer to a barret .50 cal sniper rifle, has recoil. This is rated for game terms by a recoil value. This value is split into several levels; single shot, burst, twin barrels (shot guns) with tripods without bipods, etc. In combat, this recoil value is added to the opponents DODGE roll, to see if the gunner hits.

Auto fire rules
Many weapons, such as the SMGs, LMGs, assault rifles etc, have the ability to fire more than one bullet in rapid succession. This is represented by either a burst fire rate, or by full auto listing. Submachine guns and assault rifles are only capable of limited 3 round bursts, while For assault rifles and SMGs, choosing to go burst mode, adds 1D to the weapons single shot damage. For LMGs MMGs and HMGs add 1d+2 to the weapons base damage.
When choosing to use the full auto option, the user must either have a minimum of 24 rounds left in a 30 round clip (SMGs), 28 for a 36 round clip (assault rifles), or 38 rounds for a 50 round belt. .It uses the whole round (other than a half move), and is like a full piloting/dodge in that no other (dice rolling required) action (other than strength rolls for damage reduction) are allowed.

Full automatic fire, is just spraying a lot of ammo, in the hope of hitting the target(s) and causing more damage than the weapons single shot or burst fire could do. Depending on the weapon, you get a number of dice to add when going full auto, to the damage pool and the to hit pool (firearms skill). There are 2 ways to use full auto fire.

F.A.S.T:
Or full auto single target. This is basically shooting a lot of rounds at one target hoping the excessive amount of bullets hitting it will drop it. The target gets to add the recoil value as normal, but you get a bonus of 1-3 dice to hit due to the high number of bullets flying the target’s way. If you still hit, you add a number of dice to the damage based on the weapon.

Weapon To hit bonus dice Damage bonus dice
Sub machine guns (SMG) 1D 3D+1
Assault rifles 2D 3D+2
Light machine guns (LMG) 2D+2 4D
Medium machine guns (MMG) 3D+1 4D+1
Heavy machine guns (HMG) 4D 4D+2

Spray fire.
This is the act of moving the guns barrel to the left and right rapidly, while holding down the trigger. It is also a full round action (half move can be allowed), and so can not be used with reaction skills. Unlike FAST, this must have a FULL clip or 50 round belt. It can be used in 2 fashions. Cover fire, or to damage:

Damage sprays.
The gunner makes ONE roll, adding in the bonus dice he gets for the weapon. Each target within the area above 1 (for SMGs and assault rifles) or 5 (for LMG to HMG) subtracts one from this die pool. Then each of those targets gets to add in the recoil value to their individual dodge rolls. If any are hit, the damage is rolled individually.

Weapon To hit bonus dice Damage bonus dice
Sub machine guns (SMG) 3D 1D
Assault rifles 3D 2D
Light machine guns (LMG) 4D 3D
Medium machine guns (MMG) 4D 3D
Heavy machine guns (HMG) 5D 4D

Cover sprays.
Unlike the former, this is not used to cause damage, but to stop the enemy from returning fire. The user still gets the addition of the FA dice (listed above), but does NOT subtract any dice for targets in the spray field. BUT he does subtract dice based on the AREA of the spray field. The gunner THEN rolls, against a difficulty assigned by the GM (based on range to the area for the cover spray, cover/concealment in the cover spray area and any other factors he deems necessary). If it hits, anyone in the area of cover spray suffers a penalty to their to hit pools of –3 per 5 points of difference between the gunners to hit pool and the diff set.

AREA MOD AREA MOD AREA MOD
5mtr by 5mtr No pen 10mtr by 10mtr -1d 15mtr by 15mtr -1d+2
20mtr by 20mtr -2d+1 25mtr by 25mtr -3d 30mtr by 30mtr -3d+2
35mtr by 35mtr -4d+1 40mtr by 40mtr -5d 45mtr by 45mtr -5d+2

Full auto examples.

F.A.S.T:
John has an assault rifle. He just got done reloading it, when through the airlock comes a quartet of Zero G troopers. 3 of them head towards engineering, but the fourth sees john and starts for him. During the next rounds initiave john rolls and wins. He declares a full auto on the trooper. As the Assault rifle has a recoil value of 15 for going full auto, he rolls the dodge roll and adds 15 to it. John adds in 2D for a F.A.S.T. to his 6d+1 firearms skill. The dodge roll comes up 18. +15 for using full automatic, and john sees he needs 33 to hit that generator. Luckily he rolls 39 and smacks it dead center. He then rolls damage (5d+1 base for the assault rifle and adds in 3d+2 for 9d total damage. Even adding in the Zero g troopers armor, this is enough to drop him dead.

Damage Spray:
Later on, john’s buddy, Borrial, has added a HMG to his ships defensive weapons complement. It is mounted on a hard point (which is counted as a tripod). John, has to sit this raid out due to leg injuries, so he volunteers to stay behind and man it. As the rest of the team is returning, they are being tracked/followed by 30 storm troopers. John notices the troopers following his team mates, just as they are clearing the tree-line (the troopers that is). He opts for a quick belt burst to lessen their numbers. The troopers do not yet know of john’s presence and so have no dodge, but the range is currently medium range (moderate, which the gm sets at 13). They are still in the edge of the woods, so the gm gives them 2d worth of cover/concealment, and rolls a 9 (bringing the diff up to 22), plus the HMGs full auto rating of 15 for being on a hard point (tripod), for a grand total of 37. His firearms of 7d gets a bonus of 5d for going full auto, but john is trying to take out 9 of the enemy for this round, lessening his firearms skill by 4d (5 for free –1d per opponent beyond 5). His roll is poor, only a 18, and so he completely misses everyone. Next round, now that the stormies are alerted to his presence they start to fire on his comrades and dodge. John tries again, to take out the same 9 troopers. They will add 20 to their dodge roll this round (15 for full auto recoil value and 5 for the cover this round). The 9 troopers roll 13, 16, 19, 10, 8, 18, 28, 16, and 12. Making their dodges from worst to best (inc the modifications) 28, 30, 32, 33, 36, 36, 38, 39, 48. Johns roll is a lot better, at a whopping 37. He hits all but the last 3 troopers in his spray. Killing the other 6 with ease.

Cover Spray:
The next round, john sees his buddies coming under heavy imperial fire, and so opts for his last 50-round belt (from this ammo box) to be for a cover spray. As he is not technically targeting the imperials, they get no dodge. He decides to target a 30x30 meter area (most of the storm troopers are within that), which minuses 3d+2 from his to hit pool. His difficulty is 13 for the range, 11 (for the cover for this round), 15 for going full auto and the gm adds in a further 5 due to situational modifiers (stress) for a total of 44. John’s roll is a whapping 67 (due to the wild dice), a difference of 23, and so applies a penalty to all the imperials firing of 12 to their roll. They all miss. The next round, john’s luck has finally ran out when the imperials tag his position with a shoulder launched missile.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I try to stick more to the SW D6 idea of fast and easy rules.

Autofire dice.
A weapon has a certain amount of Auto Fire dice. This is usually 1D for most weapons (the repeating blasters in the main rulebook for example). Some especially fast firing models have 2D, and the exeptional cases (rotary guns for example) have 3D-4D. It is assumed that the repeating weapons in the rulebook have this die allready added to damage. Hence all repeating weapons have their damage rating lowered by -1D, and instead have Autofire +1D.

Autofire dice can be used in two ways. Focused fire on one target or Area fire.
Focused Fire:
Autofire dice can be split in any way between the To Hit roll or Damage. When firing a Light Repeating Blaster it does 5D damage, and the user may add his +1D Autofire die to either To Hit or to Damage.
Optional Rule: When using Focused Fire at moderate range only half the Autofire dice may be used for damage (round up). When firing at long range Autofire may only be added to the To Hit roll.

Area Fire.
When using an automatic weapon for Area Fire the user may target a 2m wide target area for each 1D in Autofire dice. For example, a weapon with Autofire +2D may target a 4m area per firing action. The shooter gets to roll to hit each target in that area using his normal Blaster skill with no bonus for Autofire. Of course, the firer may fire several actions targeting more areas or the same area again.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rules are similar to Zzaphod's.

About the only major difference is that I allow the Buast Dice (Autofire dice) to be split between attack, damage, and targets. Spending one burst die can allow you to attack two foes with one attack roll, two dice lets you attack 3 at once and so on.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:

About the only major difference is that I allow the Buast Dice (Autofire dice) to be split between attack, damage, and targets. Spending one burst die can allow you to attack two foes with one attack roll, two dice lets you attack 3 at once and so on.

So, if I get this correctly, if I 'spend' my 1 Autofire dice I can attack one additional target with the weapon doing normal damage with no bonus to hit?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

So, if I get this correctly, if I 'spend' my 1 Autofire dice I can attack one additional target with the weapon doing normal damage with no bonus to hit?

Yup, at least according to my variant. There are some restirctions on target selection though. Mostly common sense stuff. Basically both targets have to be within the fire arc, and you can't "skip" targets. For instance, if you were firing at a group of three people, you could attack the first and second, or the second and third, but could not attack the first and third target with one burst and just "skip over" the guy in the middle. In my variant, something like that would require two seperate attacks/bursts. But if someone was firing a weapon with 2 burst dice, he could spend the dice to make one attack vs. all 3 targets.

I also use the same attack roll againt each and every target in the burst, so the attack might not hit all the targets depending on dodge rolls, cover bonuses, range and so forth.

I don't always rate a weapon's burst value in full dice, and one "cheap stunt" that I do allow is for someone to trade off a measely "+1" or "+2" into an addrtional target.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atgxtg wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:
atgxtg wrote:

Yup, at least according to my variant. There are some restirctions on target selection though. Mostly common sense stuff. Basically both targets have to be within the fire arc, and you can't "skip" targets. For instance, if you were firing at a group of three people, you could attack the first and second, or the second and third, but could not attack the first and third target with one burst and just "skip over" the guy in the middle. In my variant, something like that would require two seperate attacks/bursts. But if someone was firing a weapon with 2 burst dice, he could spend the dice to make one attack vs. all 3 targets.

I also use the same attack roll againt each and every target in the burst, so the attack might not hit all the targets depending on dodge rolls, cover bonuses, range and so forth.

I don't always rate a weapon's burst value in full dice, and one "cheap stunt" that I do allow is for someone to trade off a measely "+1" or "+2" into an addrtional target.

If you trade a +1D to hit Autofire die for the ability to fire at two targets with the same attack dice as if firing at one target it seems better to use my Focused Fire rules. That way you at least have a 1D advantage for the first target. If you translate a +1 pip Autofire bonus into several targets it makes more sense, but begs the question how powerful automatic weapons you want in your game if such small autofire bonuses can be turned into multifire.

I kept all my Autofire dice full dice for simplictlys sake. I wanted a rules set that worked in most cases as the normal combat rules, you just threw in a couple of extra dice (the area fire option is seldom used in the heat of the battle).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: