The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Melee Damage Caps - a possibly new take
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Melee Damage Caps - a possibly new take Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
To simplify ask yourself: would you rather be shot by a gun or slashed with a battleaxe?

Assuming skill was not a factor, I suppose if would depend on the gun and/or axe. I'd probably consider a low caliber pistol round over the axe, but at a certain point consider the the axe rthe lesser evil.

If there was a signficant difference is skill ratings, that I was aware offthen I'd probably go with the lower skill and hope the attacker doesn't manage to hit anything vital.

If I figured I was dead either way, I'd probably take the gun so I could have an open casket. Smile
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely stated atgxtg.

In SW a hold out blaster is less deadly than an axe. A repeating blaster should (IMO) generally be more deadly.

Without damage caps, the axe (STR+3D) is generally as deadly or more deadly that a repeating blaster - making it the SW equivalent of a Valerian Space-Axe. Sad
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

Without damage caps, the axe (STR+3D) is generally as deadly or more deadly that a repeating blaster - making it the SW equivalent of a Valerian Space-Axe. Sad

Not quite. For starters an average person has a 2D STR, so the axe would do 5D, which is less than a repeating blaster. And not all axes doe +3D either.But something like a Wookiee with 5D STR and a vibroaxe (STR+3D+1) would do more damage than a E-Web without a cap! So point certainly has merit.

Frankly, I think part of hte problem is that unarmed attacks start off at full STR. Melee weapons, by default end up doing a lot of damage in the hands of strong characters. For example, the 5D StR Wookiee mentioned above does an much damage with a punch as the aforementioned "average person" wielding the aforemetnioned axe (STR +3D). THat is where I think the real problem lies.

I just don't buy that the punch of a strong human (STR 4D) inflicts the same amount of injury/damage as a strike from a boradsword (STR+2D) held by Joe Average (STR 2D).

But since the melee damage starts at STR, we end up with a beserk Wookie wielding a pair of toe clippers inflicting more damage than the laser cannons on a T-47. Shocked

IMO, I think the STR component is too high. Something like the variant they use for the body point versions of D6 would work bertter and eliminate the need for a cap. For example,

-Bump up the melee weapon damages by 4 pips (1D+1).
-Add +1 to damage per die in the wielder's STR code.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the damage for melee weapons is too high, but I do think the damage for brawling attacks is.

I don't want to be punched by a wookie, but I don't think it would kill me, either.
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I don't think the damage for melee weapons is too high, but I do think the damage for brawling attacks is.

I don't want to be punched by a wookie, but I don't think it would kill me, either.

A melee attack does STR-1D in my games. This also keeps Martial Arts attacks from dealing more damage than a vibro bayonet (which is rather common here).
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZzaphodD wrote:
A melee attack does STR-1D in my games. This also keeps Martial Arts attacks from dealing more damage than a vibro bayonet (which is rather common here).

Surely you mean a brawling attack?

What if the character making the brawling attack has natural weaponry such as the Defel?

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Then perhaps brawling damage should be capped, max of 6d;
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esoomian wrote:
ZzaphodD wrote:

Surely you mean a brawling attack?

What if the character making the brawling attack has natural weaponry such as the Defel?

Of course.. Laughing

If you start at STR-1D natural weapons also become more reasonable. No more Coynite claws doing the same damage as a vibro bayonet.. Rolling Eyes
Perhaps STR-1 would be reasonable.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows about brawl damage cap 6d
Natural weapon damage, cap at 7d
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind making brawling do less damage, but I don't think melee weapons should be capped. IMHO melee weapons are very deadly and should be feared.
Yasriia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about brawling does not have a cap, instead it can only 1 wound at a time?
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I don't mind making brawling do less damage, but I don't think melee weapons should be capped. IMHO melee weapons are very deadly and should be feared.

But since they do damage based off of STR, they end up being more deadly than other weapons. I just don7t accept that a Wookiee with a vibroaxe could inflict more damage that a burst from an E-Web.

BTW, this is another case where the damage has escalated over the years.
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, weapons all weapons are designed to kill. It dose not matter if you are weak and chop into someone with an ax, or strong and cleave someone in half with it, or if you cut them in half with an e-web. The result is the same. They are dead. Yes if a Jawa hits you with a battle ax it will only chop into you and may not kill you, but if a 6d STR. Wookie hits you solid with an ax he is probably going to cut you in half. You can argue semantics all day but at the end of the day dead is dead, it does not matter much how you got that way.
Esoomian
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that not all targets are created equal.

A standard stormtrooper has a soak of 3D vs. Energy and 4D vs. physical.

An E-web should routinely kill a stormtrooper ouright, should the same also be true of a Wookiee with an axe?

It might be fine for a axe wielding Wookiee to bisect stormtroopers but should he also be able to destroy a speeder bike, or a walker?

Perhaps another way to go about this is to take what you think the 'standard enemy' is and then work out what the various weapons should be able to do to them on an average roll.

Simply stand closer to the object you wish to view.
Lancil
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when you are talking about melee weapons size does mater. So, with your storm trooper example...Imagine if you will you are said ST and there you stand in your shiny armor and a 7 foot monster brings a 45lb ax down on your head. Now, I know what you are thinking, “My armor is made out of high tech composite materials and will be very resistant to the ax blade." Right? Well what about your very fragile neck that is supporting your 18lb head and your at least what, 5lb helmet. I’m going with your entire spine is shattered. So even if your head is not cut in half you are still dead.

And the speeder bike, yes he should be able to destroy it with the ax. The AT-AT, well of course not. If he swung and it the foot of the walker it might put a gauge in the metal but it would do no real damage.

Some times the GM just has to let common sense rule instead of trying to make the rules make sense.

BTW. I apologize if I am sounding rude Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: