The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Melee Damage Caps - a possibly new take
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Melee Damage Caps - a possibly new take Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:32 am    Post subject: Melee Damage Caps - a possibly new take Reply with quote

I just had an idea on Melee Damage Caps which I don't think I have seen before and as I am not sure if it is a good idea or just a whacky idea, I'd like some input. First I need to provide some background.

1) My assumption is that damage caps are in SW D6 to limit the damage done by melee weapons, in part, so that swords and rocks don't do more damage than repeating blasters. This need is increased because of high STR aliens, e.g. Wookiees. In this respect damage caps are either a good thing, a balancing thing, or a necessary evil depending on your point of view to quote old OB1.

2) It seems odd or unfair that a Wookiee with STR 6D wielding a vibroblade (STR+3D max: 6D damage) does the same damage as a STR 3D human.

What if the damage cap only effected the maximum damage the weapon could do, not the maximum dice to be rolled. So in the example above the STR 6D Wookiee rolls 9D (STR 6D+3D) and the STR 3D human rolls 6D (STR 3D+3D). The maximum damage that either can do is 6D which is 30pts + wild die (5 dice at 6 pts each + 1 wild die). While this means that both characters do the same maximum damage, obviously on average the Wookiee does far more damage than the human, which seems reasonable.

Though a bit more cumbersome, it seems to trend in the right direction.

Thoughts / comments / criticisms?
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea isn't bad, for working with what's there. I've personally junked the idea of limiting melee damage. A battle axe is going to do a heck of a lot of damage compared to a blaster. It shouldn't have a limit put upon it. The disadvantage of a battle axe is that you have to up close and personal compared to a blaster that can inflict that damage from a long distance away.

There's trade offs for melee vs. ranged attacks, and it shouldn't have to do with limits on damage.

One thing I will say, though, is test this idea some to see if it gives you the results you're hoping for. Do it with multiple different weapons that have damage capped and see how it works on them. If the results are what you're hoping for...great! Use it! If they're not what you're hoping for, look for another way of handling it.
Nico_Davout
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play without any caps. Newton said that I shouldn't Wink.

Han Solo shot first, midichlosomething do not exist, Rebel Alliance was created as in the WEG books and indoctrination theory is the true ending of ME3.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No caps here, either.
notmalcolypse
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like this idea.

I hate the idea of damage caps set in dice, because of the wookiee dilema you pointed out.

I will implement this in the game I'm preparing and post up any results that the game generates.

Thanks for the idea.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, my house rule is that caps can be exceeded, but doing so runs the risk of damaging the weapon.

EG Br'fasc the Barbel is using a vibroaxe. Normally capped at 7d damage (41 total output potential with out the wild die rerolling). He can exceed that, but any damage he does OVER 41 is applied as 'item' damage against the axe's 2d body strength.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For me, my house rule is that caps can be exceeded, but doing so runs the risk of damaging the weapon.

EG Br'fasc the Barbel is using a vibroaxe. Normally capped at 7d damage (41 total output potential with out the wild die rerolling). He can exceed that, but any damage he does OVER 41 is applied as 'item' damage against the axe's 2d body strength.

There are parts of this I like, but I question whether Br'fasc (or any character) would be able to automatically roll less damage. Tolerances can be difficult to judge. In real life I have unintentionally broken things because I exceeded their body strength.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notmalcolypse wrote:
Thanks for the idea.

You're welcome. Let me know how it works out.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimace wrote:
A battle axe is going to do a heck of a lot of damage compared to a blaster.

I don't understand why you think that would be the case. What is your rationale?

The counter argument is (1) blasters (when they hit) seem pretty deadly in the movies (as long as you aren't a Skywalker). IIR they blow chunks of concrete out of the landing bay wall on Tatooine and (2) blasters do more damage than firearms in SW D6 and in the real world, high velocity firearm rounds penetrate armor that can deflect a blow from an axe.

Grimace wrote:
The disadvantage of a battle axe is that you have to up close and personal compared to a blaster that can inflict that damage from a long distance away.

I agree that is one disadvantage, but as I mentioned, another disadvantage is that the amount of penetrating force delivered by an axe should be less than that from a high velocity firearm or a blaster. That is not reflected when you remove the damage caps.

Grimace wrote:
There's trade offs for melee vs. ranged attacks, and it shouldn't have to do with limits on damage.
Let me note that I also cap damage for distance weapons, e.g. blasters at 2 x base damage. So a holdout blaster that does 3D damage can do extra damage with a well placed shot, but caps out at 6D damage maximum.

Grimace, I understand your conclusion and in fact in our game we have at times ignored the melee damage caps. But I find the notion that a humanoid with an axe is going to do more damage than an E-WEB heavy repeating blaster (the Star Wars equivalent of a .50 machine gun) to be a bit unreasonable. Hence the original rationale for damage caps in the RAW.

Grimace wrote:
One thing I will say, though, is test this idea some to see if it gives you the results you're hoping for. Do it with multiple different weapons that have damage capped and see how it works on them. If the results are what you're hoping for...great! Use it! If they're not what you're hoping for, look for another way of handling it.

Very good advice on how to playtest a new House Rule. Thanks. Very Happy

Disclaimer: I haven't had a chance to test the rule as the brainstorm came at work and I don't keep dice and rules with me at all times. Laughing
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nico_Davout wrote:
I play without any caps. Newton said that I shouldn't Wink.
Would that be the Newton whose simple Newtonian mechanics says that if a cannonball and a feather are simultaneously dropped from the same height, they both hit the ground at the same time. Wink
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

There are parts of this I like, but I question whether Br'fasc (or any character) would be able to automatically roll less damage. Tolerances can be difficult to judge. In real life I have unintentionally broken things because I exceeded their body strength.

Hows about it is based on whether they are on a force point or not. IF not they can chose.. BUT if they are, they are stuck rolling more... since they (by spending the FP) are putting their all into it..
Grimace
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren, when I was referring to a blaster and a battle axe, I was envisioning a blaster pistol, not an E-Web.

While you are correct that a blaster certainly has more penetrating power, that is a facet of the attack, not of the damage. A blaster hitting a person in the arm will likely burn the arm, hurt the person and possibly make the arm useless. A battle axe hitting an arm is going to wind up with a severed arm lying on the ground.

A blaster hitting a person in the chest is going to put a hole into the person and kill them. A battle axe chopping into a person's chest is going to slice through bones and eviscerate the person, killing them. Both effects are the same.

Slap that person in armor, and now the blaster has the edge because it has better penetration compared to the battle axe. Take a few steps away and now the blaster has a huge bonus over the battle axe.

Also, when you consider such things as vibro weapons, that basically alters the penetrative effects of melee weapons such as a blade or an axe head. Vibro weapons suddenly get more effective. They still can't do damage when the target is 10 feet away, but once you get into melee range you're pretty deadly even against people in armor.

That's why I don't put caps on melee weapons. I'd hate to tell a spec ops person they can't kill a person in one hit with a knife simply because they're capped at 4D or whatever arbitrary cap was put on a weapon.
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To simplify ask yourself: would you rather be shot by a gun or slashed with a battleaxe?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
To simplify ask yourself: would you rather be shot by a gun or slashed with a battleaxe?
Doesn't really help me. Thankfully I've no pratical experience with either result. I'm pretty sure I'd rather be hit with an axe than hit with a burst from a .50 cal or blown up with an RPG. That's really the issue with damage caps. Should an axe blow have the same maximum damage in the hands of a high STR character as an E-web or an antipersonnel or anti-vehicle rocket?

All I'm saying is I understand the rationale for why it should not. I haven't seen anything compelling for why it should. I certainly agree that the axe hit should do more damage than a brawling punch (skills levels aside).
ZzaphodD
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:

Between a rock and a hard place I guess, but I have to say the axe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: